Healthy Orange Julius

Back in my high school days, much of my money and my time went towards clothes and food.

org11

I used to be obsessed with the movie Clueless, so many of the clothes I bought came from Contempo Casuals. I had it all going on from the cute, tiny backpack, to the knee-high stockings, to the block heels…like I said, obsessed!

With these many trips to the mall came bouts of gorging myself on Sbarro’s pizza and the ever popular Orange Julius. P.s., did you know the drink is actually named after someone? Julius Freed started an orange juice stand, and him and his buddy came up with the iconic, frothy blend that graces our malls today.

While I still love the delicious beverage, I wanted to make my own allergy-friendly version with no dairy and no refined sugar.

This creamy, slushy blend will shock you with its spot-on likeness to the original.

Healthy Orange Julius

Serves: 1 drink
  • 1 c. + 2 T. orange juice, divided
  • ½ c. light coconut milk or another dairy-free milk that you enjoy
  • 1 T. honey or maple syrup
  • ½ t. vanilla
  • 2 t. orange zest
  • tiny pinch sea salt
  1. In an ice-cube tray, freeze ¾ cup plus two tablespoons worth of the orange juice (it should amount to about 6 cubes).
  2. Once cubes are frozen, blend all of the ingredients until well combined (it should be slushy).
  3. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk and honey. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: 1 Calories: 214 Fat: 1.8 g Saturated fat: 0 g Unsaturated fat: 1.8 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 48.1 g Sugar: 41 g Sodium: 328 mg Fiber: 1.5 g Protein: 2.6 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this recipe

Would I ever go back to the original?….

org22

…in the words of Cher, ‘as if!’. Not with this healthy doppelgänger. :-D

What movie character have you ever emulated?

Shared with: Healthy Vegan Fridays

Tagged: ,

1. freshlifefindings May 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm Reply

This looks delicious! Definitely want to try it as soon as possible.

• Lauren May 23, 2012 at 7:51 am Reply

Let me know what you think if you do!

2. Gabby @ the veggie nook August 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm Reply

What a great alternative to Orange Julius! I used to go there a lot as a teen thinking it was super healthy lol

• Lauren August 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm Reply

Thanks Gabby! My friends and I used to hit up the mall for pizza and an Orange Julius too! It’s amazing what you’ll eat as a kid.

3. Jennifer September 25, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reply

I was obsessed with Clueless too! And now that Alicia Silverstone is an advocate for the vegan lifestyle, I like her even more! This recipe looks so good I can’t wait to try it! I’m outtie!

• Lauren September 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm Reply

Ahahahahaha! You crack me up!

4. amber September 26, 2013 at 11:13 pm Reply

I’ve seen that movie perhaps 100 times. Seriously! And I love that you quoted two things I adore in that last sentence: Clueless and HIMYM! (off topic, but did you watch the season premier). Love that show so very much.

Anyway, I lived off OJs in high school. I loved their other variations and flavors too. I’ve made my own OJs a few times and my kids love them too. I use walnut milk (frozen into cubes), fresh orange juice, honey, gelatin, and a splash of vanilla. I will have to give it a try with coconut milk and your other suggestions. This would make a fantastic sorbet don’t you think..

Great recipe, Lauren!!

P.S. “That’s Ren and Stimpy. They’re way existential”
    (I was a dedicated viewer of Red and Stimpy, so I always loved that quote). :-)

P.P.S. And who knew Paul Rudd would become such a big actor. He was so young and awkward in that movie – great part for him though.
    amber recently posted..Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Homemade Barbecue SauceMy Profile

• Lauren September 27, 2013 at 7:15 am Reply

Haha, I always enjoy your comments Amber! I didn’t even realize I quoted HIMYM…I know the show, but have never watched it. I’m more of a bad reality TV kind of girl (don’t judge). Have a great weekend girl! :-)

5. Laura | My Little Gourmet September 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

Oh man, I HAVE to try this recipe!! I love my orange julius and when I saw your post on facebook I dropped everything and ran over here to see if I had all of the ingredients on hand. Well, I don’t, but I will…soon. :) Thanks for reminding of this delicious drink and giving me a healthy option.
    Laura | My Little Gourmet recently posted..Quinoa LasagnaMy Profile

• Lauren September 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm Reply

Lol, I hope you get try it Laura! :-)