Cauliflower Tots (Vegan, Grain-Free)

Cauliflower is one of the most versatile ingredients being used these days.

From pizza to potatoes to cake, I think I’ve seen it in just about every type of recipe imaginable.

This particular cauliflower recipe is nothing to shake a stick at. It is a great side dish, and some nights, I can even make a meal of it!

It has a great flavor, and I love cooking it long enough to get the charred edges you see above. Tastier and healthier than french fries or tater tots and equally delicious.

Cauliflower Tots
Serves: 2 servings
  • 1 head cauliflower (3-4 cups), cut into small bites, washed, drained, and dried
  • 1 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 2 t. Dijon mustard
  • ½ t. garlic powder
  • ¾ t. sea salt
  • ¼ t. red pepper
  • 2 T. nutritional yeast
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, mix coconut oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, salt, red pepper, and nutritional yeast.
  3. Add cauliflower and toss to coat all (it works best to use your hands here so that you can work the mixture into all the cauliflower crevices).
  4. Spread the cauliflower onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway.
  6. Cool, top with fresh chopped parsley, if desired, and enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
Serving size: ½ of recipe Calories: 137 Fat: 7.8 g Saturated fat: 6.1 g Unsaturated fat: 1.7 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 12.7 g Sugar: 3.7 g Sodium: 808 mg Fiber: 6.1 g Protein: 7.7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this site

It has a delicious tang from the lemon juice and the mustard, a spiciness from the pepper flakes, and a ‘cheesiness’ from the yeast. The overall texture is chewy and crispy, from those beautifully browned edges. You can play with the seasonings too! I bet curry would be lovely in here.

After my Oatmeal Cookie Overnight Oats, I’ve been trying nutritional yeast in just about everything! I’ve seen it used in popcorn and vegan cheese sauces, both of which sound intriguing to me. It’s such a versatile ingredient!

What’s your favorite way to use nutritional yeast?

Shared with: Allergy-Free Wednesday

I’ve really been loving cauliflower lately. Your recipe looks great – I am a sucker for those crispy, charred edges. :)

You would think that dogs wouldn’t be into chocolate since it’s poisonous for them, but I have no doubt that my dogs (or Olive at least) would go to town on it if I let them. Same goes for raisins and grapes, and avocado, and onions…so many foods I love that they can’t eat.

Hahaha! I forgot about all the other stuff they’re supposed to avoid. Raisins and grapes I knew, but avocado and onion? Well, Gus survived the onion at least!

Niiice! I love roasting vegetables with coconut oil! Lauren, have you tried making kale chips with coconut oil? It’s heavenly….I’ve been eating so much of that oil that I think I’m probably the healthiest person in the world right now (hehe jk) And I love nutritional yeast in pasta, vegan garlic “cheese” sauce, and stuff like that!

Gasp! Gus, stay away from the most delightful treat you’ll ever taste!
    I.want.sugar free icing recipe. now!! Evil, Lauren 😉
    I always add nutritional yeast to my salads!! I can’t imagine eating kale without it now. It freaks out the hubby though. Oh wells, more for me!

I have got to try roasted cauliflower…it is all over the blogging world right now!

I love nutritional yeast on EVERYTHING! Its such a staple in my house…I love it in vegan “cheesy” sauces, on top salads, on pasta, on veggies…did I say I like it on everything?!?!

Hahaha! It’s definitely good! The more I eat it, the more I like it and want to stick it everywhere I can!

5. Cheri says

This was so, so good! I made this for my little paleo toddler and myself–we (I) inhaled it! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes! I love your blog. :)

Haha, that’s awesome! This is one I have a tendency to eat all of myself as well. Thank you for your kind words! 😀

6. Lauren says

Hi Lauren!
    Made these tonight. So yummy. Should the tots be crunchy? While delicious, they were soft. Didn’t know if I should bake longer ….tomorrow when I make again! Lol

Hi Lauren,

Nope, they should still be soft with a few browned, crisp edges. I’m happy you enjoyed the taste though! 😀

• Julie says

I don’t know why my whole comment didn’t show up here….but, as I was saying, I made these last night for dinner with a guy (who’s kind of a friend). He’s my new recipe guinea pig, so I was excited to make this and have him try it! You can imagine how deflated I was when I pulled out the cauliflower and he said, “You know, I don’t really like cauliflower, but I’ll try this because it’s you making it!” Fast forward 45 (or so) minutes and he says to me, “Is there any more cauliflower left? OMG did you finish it?” Fast forward to 10 minutes ago when I got a text from him that said, “Did I mention how good that cauliflower was last night? Cause it was!” Um, that’s what I call success!!!

The big test will be when I attempt to make it for my 4 & 6 year old nephews this weekend! Wish me luck! Love your recipes and am excited to try more!

Also, yay Tucson! I’m a former Wildcat…and despite what everyone else thinks, I LOVE Tucson!

Aw, thanks so much, Julie! What a great comment, and I’m so happy you both enjoyed the tots! My girls will eat these, so fingers crossed your nephews will too! :)

1. […] Cauliflower Tater Tots There is not a potato in sight in this phenomenally addictive recipe. Only (spoiler alert!) cauliflower! Served as a side dish or even the main course, the recipe calls for not much more than cauliflower, coconut oil, and seasoning. Yum. […]

I love to read your comments!