Almond Crackers With Creamy Garlic Dip

Hi guys! Welcome to a new week and a new recipe post! This weekend we put our house up for sale in anticipation of 1) my husband getting the Prescott job, or 2) moving closer to town. Right now, we are about 20 minutes away from our gym and 40 minutes away from the nearest Whole Foods! Yipe! Fun fact about me, before I got married, I worked in the grocery department of Whole Foods. It was seriously the best job I’ve ever had! I got to peruse the grocery aisles, dreaming up new recipes, partake of their salad bar on my breaks, all while getting paid and getting a discount!! Made for one happy Lauren!

(source)

Prescott would actually be about 90 miles away from the nearest Whole Foods (which is in Phoenix), but I think the change would be worth it….and we’d just have to make weekly trips there in order for me to get my fix!

Recipe time!

I have been drinking oodles of my vanilla almond milk lately, leaving me with lots of almond pulp and few recipes with which to utilize it. Recently, however, I came across a recipe for almond crackers that caught my attention. Now, once I sequester the almond pulp in my nut milk bag, I dehydrate it in the oven for about six hours on warm (about 170 degrees F). This dries it out, allowing me to add it to other baked goods or pancakes, just as you would almond meal.

These crackers are so simple, yet so delicious, and they are both paleo-friendly and gluten-free!

Almond Crackers With Creamy Garlic Dip

Serves: 24
  • 1 c. almond meal
  • 1 egg white
  • ¼ t. salt
  • pinch of paprika
  1. Preheat the oven to 330 degrees.
  2. Beat the white until a bit frothy.
  3. Add the almond meal, salt, and paprika.
  4. Knead the mix until all is incorporated.
  5. Form a ball and put it between two sheets of parchment paper.
  6. Roll out fairly thin, and carefully peel the top layer of parchment paper off.
  7. Place the parchment paper (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Watch them carefully after 10 minutes. I like mine crispy, so I left mine in the maximum time, but I had to remove some from the outer layer, as those get browned first.
Weight Watchers points (new system): 1
Serving size: 24 Calories: 23 Fat: 2 g Saturated fat: 0 g Unsaturated fat: 2 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 0.9 g Sodium: 26 mg Protein: 1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this recipe

I think these would be great with other spices, such as curry, herbs de Provence, or rosemary! Be sure to be on the lookout for a sweet version of these in the near future! :-)

The dip I prepared to go with them turned out just as delicious and was just as simple! It is chock full of protein from the yogurt and immune-boosting properties from the garlic.

CREAMY GARLIC DIP

Adapted from a recipe in Food Network Magazine

5 shallots, unpeeled

4 garlic cloves, unpeeled

2 t. olive oil

1/8 t. salt

pinch cayenne

1 c. greek yogurt (My favorite is 2% Fage)

2 T. chopped dark green part of a scallion

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix shallots, garlic, and olive oil in a bowl. Put the mix onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Remove, cool, and chop. Mix the yogurt with the shallots, garlic, salt, and cayenne. Top with the scallions, and dig in with the crackers and your favorite veggies!

Such a wholesome (and surprisingly filling) snack!

I tried a truffle recipe using the pre-dehydrated almond pulp that didn’t turn out so well… :-( …so I’m on the hunt for more almond pulp ideas!

Does anyone make their own nut/seed milk?

How do you use your almond pulp?

I love making my own nut milk! It’s so fresh and creamy! It takes a bit more time, but it’s definitely less expensive than buying the stuff in the store, and you don’t get all the extra additives.

Tagged: , , , ,

1. Alex @ therunwithin August 13, 2012 at 8:06 am Reply

I love me some garlic!

• Lauren August 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm Reply

It is soooo good….and good for you! :-)

2. Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm Reply

Oh I would love to work at Whole Foods if only to eat the salad bar on my break :) These crackers look good! I’ve wanted to make my own crackers at home and your recipe looks great especially with the dip :) I have never made my own nut/seed milk but I hope to one day!

• Lauren August 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm Reply

It was a pretty sweet deal! The crackers are super easy! Let me know if you try them!

3. Min August 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm Reply

Oh, I hope the house sells quickly! And how cool that you worked at Whole Foods!
    I love this dip! Anything with garlic in the title captures my attention! ;) Just pinned it! And I’ve been experimenting with different props also! Just got black foam board as I really like how it makes the food pop! Love your pictures! Getting better and better each time! I’ve never made my own milk..I have to try yours!

• Lauren August 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm Reply

Thanks Min! Yeah, black has been working really well for me. I can’t wait to see more pics from you!

4. jessielovestorun August 14, 2012 at 5:00 am Reply

Oh that garlic dip sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing :). Praying your house sells quickly for y’all girl!

5. Gabby @ the veggie nook August 14, 2012 at 5:15 am Reply

Awesome! I have a recipe that uses up pulp for crackers too! Isn’t it so satisfying to use every little bit of your almond milk ingredients up?

6. Ellie August 14, 2012 at 9:50 am Reply

I really like the sound of the cracker recipe! And they look like Stacey’s pita chips :) woooo ive always been curious about WF positions, and getting discounts wouldn’t hurt oooonnneee bit.

7. Chris January 28, 2013 at 10:10 am Reply

How many crackers does this make? Do you score them before baking?
    How would you make a “wheat thin” flavor?
    Any nutritional stats?

• Lauren January 28, 2013 at 10:27 pm Reply

Hi Chris,
      I just wanted you to know that the recipes you asked about have been updated with the nutrition facts and serving sizes. I’m not sure about the ‘wheat thin’ flavor though… I have a line-up for the next couple of weeks, but I will definitely see about recreating that KIND bar for you. Have a great night! :)

• Chris January 29, 2013 at 4:20 am Reply

Thank you soooo much! I truly appreciate your assistance!
        I presume the KIND bar recipe will include the recipe for making xylitol syrup?
        Have a blessed day!

8. Vanessa Aadland April 8, 2013 at 6:58 am Reply

Hello, Just wanted to say i enjoy your lovely recipes… and I live in Show low az about 200 mile from phoenix and the nearest whole foods… so I fell your pain. but it is a small world I hope your husband gets the job in prescott and it works out for u. Can’t wait to try these crackers

• Lauren April 8, 2013 at 8:09 am Reply

Thank you Vanessa! My husband did get the job, but I think we’ve decided to stay in Tucson. I used to travel to Show Low with my parents and always enjoyed the surroundings there. I hope you like the crackers! :-D