Zucchini Pizza Crust

Happy Wednesday! The summer is coming to a close, and soon leaves will fall, pumpkins will be carved, and jackets will be worn!

And now for a recipe that made its way through the completion process….

…zucchini pizza crust.

I tried cauliflower pizza a few weeks ago and really liked it, but I wished I could’ve gotten the crust a bit more crispy/chewy. I started thinking about the water content and how to remove it in order to accomplish this. I began entertaining other vegetables that you can ‘sweat’ with salt. Eggplant and zucchini. Eggplant intimidated me, so I went with zucchini. Grate, salt, sweat, ska-weeeeeeeze out the water (and there is a lot!). It worked perfectly.

Zucchini Pizza Crust

Serves: 3
  • 2 c. zucchini, finely grated, lightly packed
  • ½-3/4 c. almond meal
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten, (vegans, use a chickpea egg: 4 T. chickpea flour + 4 T. water)
  • 1 T. avocado oil (or another high smoke point oil such as walnut or coconut)
  • ½ t. oregano
  • ¼ t. garlic powder
  • ⅛ t. salt (you don’t need much because the zucchini will retain some)
  1. Place the grated zucchini in a strainer.
  2. Sprinkle the zucchini with some salt, toss it to disperse.
  3. Place the strainer over a large bowl, and let the zucchini drain for about 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  5. Place the grated zucchini into a dry dish towel, and wring the towel over the sink until the water from the zucchini is squeezed out.
  6. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
  7. Add almond meal as needed to make a dough (not too wet, not too dry).
  8. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the zucchini mix out into an oval shape. I use a fork to do this, and I press it down to compact it as well.
  9. Place the pan on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
  10. Then place the pan on the top rack of the oven for about 8 minutes, until browned.
  11. Remove the pan and flip the crust.
  12. Bake for another 5 minutes.
  13. Remove the crust.
  14. Turn the oven up to 500 degrees.
  15. Top the pizza with sauce or pesto, cheese, vegetables....whatever floats your pizza boat!
  16. Place the pan back into the oven on the bottom rack and bake for 3-4 minutes. Again, place the pan on the top rack for about 2 minutes.
  17. Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes to let everything set.
  18. Slice and enjoy!!
The nutrition facts is based on 1 cup of almond meal and 1 chicken egg. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: 3 Calories: 223 Fat: 17.8 g Saturated fat: 1.7 g Unsaturated fat: 16.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 10.4 g Sugar: 2.7 g Sodium: 223 mg Fiber: 5.2 g Protein: 9.7 g Cholesterol: 55 mg

I’ve done many trials of this over the last couple of weeks and believe that this combination is the winner….although others were still delicious and highly coveted by my roommates…

Hehe…

What is your favorite way to top a pizza?

I love artichokes, mushrooms, and olives on pizza if I’m using a marinara sauce, and goat cheese and caramelized onions if I’m using pesto. I can pretty much eat it any way you give it to me! :-)

Shared with: Healthy Vegan Fridays, Gluten-Free Friday, Full Plate Thursday

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

1. sprint2thetable August 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm Reply

That looks delicious! I do a cauliflower crust that I’m addicted to, but have been talking about trying it with other veggies. Zucchini is on my list!

2. Theresa August 28, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reply

That zucchini crust looks awesome! I have seen some cauliflower/chicken ones out there as well but yours looks like it actually resembles a pizza! I must try this soon :)

3. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm Reply

Your parfait looks insanely good as does you pizza. such a great idea!

4. Kat @ a dash of fairydust August 29, 2012 at 12:05 am Reply

Wow,that pizza sounds fabulous! My body doesn’t like bread somehow and cauliflower gives me pain as well,which is why cauliflower crusts aren’t an ption for me either… Zucchini,though,should be just fine. I need to try that very soon,thanks! :)

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:38 am Reply

That’s great! I know how frustrating allergies can be, so I hope you have luck with this!

5. Gabby @ the veggie nook August 29, 2012 at 3:23 am Reply

Oh wow I just love the idea of that pizza crust! I am totally trying that asap!

I love how you have to mark your territory with chocolate- that is an issue in my house too. I do believe I’m going to take your tip and nibble all around the edges. If that doesn’t work I don’t know what will.

Can’t wait to see that quinoa casserole!

Have a lovely Wednesday :)

6. Rachel Jacobs (@rachelkyle0402) August 29, 2012 at 5:45 am Reply

Zucchini crust very cool. I have seen the cauliflower crust around, but will have to see what the zucchini tastes like.
    Some delicious eats for sure!

7. Rachel Jacobs (@rachelkyle0402) August 29, 2012 at 5:46 am Reply

I love the idea of zucchini crust. I’ve seen cauliflower and like the use of other veggies in it. Yummy food indeed.

8. Amanda (@PicklesNHoney) August 29, 2012 at 5:52 am Reply

I love this idea! And I got a kick out of that dark chocolate photo. Hey, whatever works, right? ;)

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:40 am Reply

Haha! When it comes to chocolate, that’s my philosophy!

9. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog August 29, 2012 at 7:07 am Reply

This pizza recipe is so unique – I really want to try it out. Parfait looks delicious too! Great eats.

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:40 am Reply

Thank you! I hope you try both!

10. Kaitlin @ A Taste of Bulmer August 29, 2012 at 7:32 am Reply

I love that zucchini crust idea! I may just make that for dinner! I also got a kick out of your chocolate photo. Such a good idea! My dad is always snatching up my chocolate :)

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 8:42 am Reply

Let me know if you try it out!! :-)

11. Alex @ therunwithin August 29, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply

zucchini crust! gah I’m in love.

12. Danielle (@Clean Food Creative Fitness) August 29, 2012 at 10:02 am Reply

That crust looks amazing! I’ve seen cauliflower pizzas but have yet to see a zucchini crust! I’m going to have to try this for sure! I love how you mark your territory on your chocolate! so funny !

13. kcragget August 29, 2012 at 11:43 am Reply

I love your photography! And that pizza crust looks deeee-lish:)

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reply

Thank you Kelsey, and thank you for visiting my blog!

14. Amanda Fraijo-Tobin (@FraijoManda) August 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm Reply

Looking forward to the quinoa recipe! That’s so funny about the chocolate. My husband steals my TJ’s chocolate too…. a mouse might have to move into this house ;)

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reply

Haha! It totally works!

15. StoriesAndSweetPotatoes August 29, 2012 at 6:06 pm Reply

I’ll have to try that crust. I’ve been making zucchini pancakes like everyday lately.

16. caloricandcrazy August 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm Reply

I don’t think there is anything wrong with too much chocolate :P!

• Lauren August 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reply

Haha….I concur!

17. milkandspoon August 30, 2012 at 1:20 am Reply

I was thinking about different pizza crusts I could do, i ve tried cauliflower and love it! May have to try zucchini..im also thinking about broccoli!

• Lauren August 30, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply

Sounds very healthy! :-)

18. Marisa August 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm Reply

Would flax meal be a good substitute for almond meal? I have that on hand, I know almond meal can be a little pricey…

• Lauren August 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm Reply

I’ve not tried it that way, so I’m not sure. I might come out a bit gummy. If you’re not gluten intolerant, you can use flour, or maybe ground oats? Let me know if you try something different and how it goes!

• Marisa August 30, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reply

Thanks I will! And one last question….How many servings does this make? Like how big of a pizza?

• Lauren August 31, 2012 at 7:42 am Reply

I can eat just about all of it…but then I’m stuffed, so I’d say two girls or one big guy! ;-)

• Marisa August 31, 2012 at 8:49 am

gotcha :)

19. Min August 31, 2012 at 5:13 am Reply

I love the idea!! Zucchini crust! Not sure if I’ll be a HUGE fan since I love the crusts for their doughy, chewy texture. I’m a crust nazi hehe. But def going to try! And I just made a casserole the other day that was very similar to yours! I’m working on the recipe as well since it was more like dump and bake kind of a day ;)

20. [...] more from the original source: Zucchini Pizza Crust and WIAW | Oatmeal With A Fork « Recipe Of The Day: Soppressata Pizza    Healthy Quinoa Pizza crust recipe [...]

21. Katherine @ Green Thickies August 31, 2012 at 10:39 am Reply

Wow, that looks amazing. I love the idea of any wheat free pizza bases and this looks easy to do.

Ha ha, in my house the chocolate wouldn’t have just been nibbled it would have been eaten by me. I can’t stop once I’ve got the taste of chocolate. So I just can’t buy it!
    Katherine @ Green Thickies recently posted..My Green Thickie Challenge No. 1 (What I ate Wednesday)My Profile

• Lauren August 31, 2012 at 11:20 am Reply

Thanks Katherine! I’ve recently visited your blog and have one of your ‘thickies’ written down to make. They all look so delicious!

22. Shannon (Healthiful Balance) September 1, 2012 at 10:22 am Reply

What a great pizza crust idea! We have a bunch of zucchini from my grandparents (they have them in their garden) so we’ll have to make this pizza crust!

We dont have any almond meal. Do you think whole wheat flour (or another kind) would work??
    Shannon (Healthiful Balance) recently posted..All About Xanthan GumMy Profile

• Lauren September 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm Reply

I think so! I just stuck with the almond meal to keep it gluten and grain free. You could even throw some protein powder in, if you’re into it!

23. Marvelous in my Monday September 3, 2012 at 1:15 am Reply

[...] with a Fork: Zucchini Pizza Crust  …Looks like I also wanted Pizza this [...]

24. Chelsa September 3, 2012 at 6:05 am Reply

I am so making this. I don’t eat grains and I could really go for some pizza. I’ve seen quite a few other grain-free dough options but they have too many ingredients. The simpler the better :-)

• Lauren September 3, 2012 at 8:09 am Reply

I hope you give it a try!

25. Kassidy September 3, 2012 at 9:18 am Reply

I am eating the zucchini crust as I write this and it is delicious! The flavor of almond flour with the spices is wonderful, I will definitely make it again!

• Lauren September 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm Reply

So glad you enjoyed it!! Thanks for the feedback!

26. [...] Zucchini Pizza Dough from Oatmeal With a Fork [...]

27. Lou (@fridgescrapings) September 3, 2012 at 8:17 pm Reply

Awesome! I’m going to try the vegan version…. I’m trying to avoid grains so this is perfect for me. I love HEAPS of olives and pesto on my pizzas. Thanks for the recipe!
    Lou (@fridgescrapings) recently posted..Back on the wagonMy Profile

28. Labor Day Weekend « A Spoonful of Sunshine September 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm Reply

[...] also wanted to make something more adventurous in the kitchen so I used this recipe to make a Zuchinni Pizza Crust.  It was actually a really easy recipe to follow and tasted pretty [...]

29. Khuloud September 6, 2012 at 7:29 am Reply

Hi, It sounds declicious and want to try it. Can you tell me what oil I can use instead of avocado oil? canola???

• Lauren September 6, 2012 at 8:07 am Reply

I only site avocado because it can be heated to a high temperature without degredation, but any oil would work if you’re not worried about it! I just recently read on oils and smoke points, so I’m trying to adhere to the correct temperatures. Safflower is another high smoke point oil you could try. Again, this doesn’t affect the taste at all.

30. healthy vegan friday #7 | the veggie nook September 7, 2012 at 12:01 am Reply

[...] Zucchini Crust Pizza from Lauren @ Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

31. Alaine @ My GF & DF Living September 8, 2012 at 7:08 am Reply

YUMMM! The perfect gluten-free crust if I don’t say so. :)

32. Laureen September 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reply

Zucchini Pizza Crust, what novel idea! I can hardly wait to give this recipe a try. Sharing on my Facebook page :-)

• Lauren September 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

Thank you Laureen! I hope you try it and like it!

33. Dawn October 6, 2012 at 6:41 am Reply

Does this recipe make enough for one single-serve pizza crust? I’m just curious because I’d like to make two, and I’m guessing I’ll have to double the recipe?

Thanks!

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 8:55 am Reply

I can eat about 3/4 of it, but I top it lightly (just sauce, cheese, and a few veggies). You’d probably want to double it if you’re sharing it with a guy! :-)

34. Chris January 28, 2013 at 10:08 am Reply

How many does this crust serve? What are the nutrient stats?

35. [...] can’t seem to get the crust to crisp up like I’d like, so I prefer my Zucchini Pizza Crust for that reason. The taste was good [...]

36. Sharon M April 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reply

My husband has nut allergies, can I replace the almond flour with coconut flour 1:1?

• Lauren April 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm Reply

Coconut flour is much more absorbent than almond meal, so a 1 to 1 ratio wouldn’t work here. You could try ground oats?

37. Jessy April 26, 2013 at 9:22 am Reply

So, have you ended up posting that quinoa casserole recipe? It looks great but I can’t find the recipe!

• Lauren April 26, 2013 at 9:33 am Reply

Haha, I never did! I tend to get sidetracked with things, but now that you’ve reminded me, I’ll try to get to it soon! :-)

38. KC April 30, 2013 at 10:46 am Reply

Last week I had a bunch of zucchini and came across this recipe, so I made it. I have an autistic child that barely eats anything and will no longer eat pizza. I told him we could try this and see if we like it. Well, he tried it, ate it all and was asking for more! Unfortunately I didn’t have any more zucchini! Thank you for this creation! I will definitely be making it again!

• Lauren April 30, 2013 at 4:59 pm Reply

Yay! Thanks for the feedback, I’m so happy it turned out for you. I really love this recipe too! :-)

39. EmIly May 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm Reply

I made this tonight. It turned out perfect! So good, and really hard to screw up. My husband is a construction worker who eats junk food and pizza with the guys for lunch all week and doesn’t like when I try to “healthily” things. He said to make it again! Thanks!

• Lauren May 11, 2013 at 7:42 am Reply

Oh Emily, that’s awesome! I always love hearing good things about this particular recipe, as it’s one of my favorites on the blog. Thank you! :-)

40. [...] you can’t wait till Monday, give my Zucchini Pizza Crust a [...]

41. amber June 7, 2013 at 6:49 am Reply

Hey Lauren,

How did I miss this one!!! I am sooo trying this. It look just beautiful! :-)
    amber recently posted..Shea Cocoa Avocado Oil Body Butter (with an Anti-Itch Recipe)My Profile

42. Natalie June 9, 2013 at 6:25 pm Reply

This was better than any other crust I have made! Just found your website, too! My husband and I own a CrossFit gym. I plan on letting our athletes know about this website!

• Lauren June 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reply

Thanks so much Natalie! Your comment made my night. :-D

43. [...] ….so I created my Zucchini Pizza Crust. [...]

44. Miz Helen June 11, 2013 at 8:14 am Reply

Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen
    Miz Helen recently posted..Best Crock Pot Pulled PorkMy Profile

45. Kris June 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm Reply

The pizza crust recipe is absolutely delicious! This turned out to be one of the most flavorful pizzas I have ever had! Quick question: I used a flax egg and baked on a parchment paper; however, the crust stuck to the paper. Any suggestions?

• Lauren June 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm Reply

That’s so cool Kris! For the parchment paper, it may be that the flax egg is making it a bit more soggy, so you could spread a little oil on top of the paper before transferring the ‘dough’ onto it. Thanks for the comment! :-D

46. Kris June 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm Reply

Awesome! I will give it a try! Thank you :)

47. [...] often consist of homemade zucchini crust pizza, stir-fry, or some type of casserole. This is the time when I’ll eat animal meat, if I have [...]

48. [...] on several different recipes and finally came up with this adaptation. But definitely check out Oatmeal with a Fork‘s version and Your Lighter Side for other options. NOTE: The main thing is to make sure you [...]

49. [...] And now for a recipe that made its way through the completion process….  [...]

50. Mary Anne July 31, 2013 at 4:56 am Reply

Just a few questions for clarification….do you peel the zucchini first or leave the skin on? Also, should the zucchini look “riced” like your cauliflower crust recipe or just thin, stick like grates? Thanks so much for posting!! Can’t wait to try this :)

• Lauren July 31, 2013 at 7:07 am Reply

Hi Mary Anne,
      I don’t peel the zucchini, and it should be finely grated (the small grating holes, not the large ones). I hope you enjoy it! It’s one of my favorite recipes on the blog. :-D

51. Dawn August 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm Reply

Just made this zucchini crust and it was fantastic! Used a silpat sheet to avoid the sticking problem which turned out just great. Pizza is one thing I’ve sorely missed since going grain-free, this is a great alternative. It even got a positive review from my fairly picky pizza-loving 5 year old son. I’m thinking I’ll try the same recipe to make some zucchini “crackers”. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

• Lauren August 12, 2013 at 7:28 pm Reply

Thanks Dawn! I’m so happy you enjoyed it! :-D

52. Wheat Free Pizza Crusts August 21, 2013 at 12:01 pm Reply

[…] Zucchini: Shredded zucchini that has “sweat” to remove some moisture can combine with almond flour to create a crunchy crust in this recipe from Oatmeal with a Fork. […]

53. […] zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, chickpea zucchini cakes, potato broccoli zucchini nuggets, zucchini pizza crust, zucchini bread pancakes.…The list goes on. When I found myself with yet another enormous […]

54. Scott September 2, 2013 at 4:01 pm Reply

Hello Lauren,

This recipes rocks and this is from a chef!

I have made it two times now and tonight for the third time as a triple batch.

The only modification I made is to use all basil instead of oregano.

It tastes great ans has a wonderful texture. The 1/2 cup of almond meal works every time.

I am going to try it like a Sicilian crust and then use as a sandwich bread.

Thank you for the recipe.

• Lauren September 2, 2013 at 5:51 pm Reply

Thanks Scott! I’m sincerely flattered. :-D

55. Kristen September 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm Reply

Hmmmm…I’m allergic to all nuts…wondering what I can use to sub the almond meal because I can’t believe I can make a crust I can have!! Perhaps oatmeal? Ground roasted pumpkin seeds? Thank you!

• Lauren September 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reply

I think either of those would be worth a shot!

56. Susie September 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm Reply

I made your zucchini pizza crust tonight. I have tried several different types of gluten-free pizza crusts and yours is by far my favorite. I subbed an Italian herb blend for the oregano, but that is really the only ingredient change I made. I will definitely make this crust again. Thank you!

• Lauren September 21, 2013 at 6:16 pm Reply

Thank you for the comment Susie! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the pizza! :-D

57. […] with all that kneading and what not. Luckily the internet agrees with me, and popped out this zucchini pizza crust by Oatmeal with a Fork. This makes a fine alternative to the polenta pizzas we love, which, although grand on the palette, […]

58. Heather December 16, 2013 at 5:23 am Reply

Hi Lauren,
    A couple of weeks ago I made this and I loved it! thank you! I LOVE zucchini and it was perfect…..HOWEVER, since then, I have been going to DRs and having tests done and found out I have food allergies to more things than I thought (been feeling really horrible)…sadly this includes tree nuts, coconut, eggs, wheat/gluten, among other things. I am stumbling with how to make this minus the egg and almond flour with a substution that will actually work and cooking times…I failed miserably last night using a flax egg and small amount of buckwheat flour. It didnt feel right, taste right or cook right. In tears I threw it away. Sooooo, any genius ideas!?!? Thank you for any guidance or ideas for those replacements/cooking so that I can once again enjoy this crust. -Heather

• Lauren December 16, 2013 at 8:51 am Reply

Hi Heather,

First off, that stinks about having so many allergies! I can definitely relate to the frustration you must be feeling. As far as the pizza goes, I’d recommend trying my Cauliflower Pizza found here: http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/06/10/personal-pan-cauliflower-pizza-crust-dairy-free/, and for the egg, I’d try using 1/4 cup of chickpea flour mixed with 1/4 cup of water. I’ve been meaning to try it myself, but haven’t yet, so if you try it let me know how it comes out! I hope it works *fingers crossed*!

59. Heather December 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm Reply

HI Lauren, Thank you for getting back to me …however, I can’t have chickpea either and I’m not really a fan of cauliflower crusts. I’m so trying to figure out what to replace the “egg & Almond flour” with in the zucchini one to try, but oh well. I appreciate your help. :)

60. […] I adore my Zucchini Pizza Crust and, in particular, Personal Pan Cauliflower Crust, there’s always room for pizza variations. […]

61. Alyssa March 14, 2014 at 4:13 pm Reply

I made this tonight and it was super delicious! I topped with basil pesto, fresh mozzarella cheese and caramelized onions. I won’t lie, I ate the whole thing myself!

• Lauren March 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm Reply

Haha, that’s awesome Alyssa! I’m so happy to hear it! :-D

62. Pizza Party! | Oatmeal with a Fork April 25, 2014 at 5:02 am Reply

[…] 1. Zucchini Pizza Crust […]

63. […]  You can change up the toppings, use different sauces, experiment with different crusts and even cook it different ways.  I never get bored with pizza.  Think of this […]

64. Ellen August 15, 2014 at 8:21 am Reply

I am glad I stumbled across your blog and this entry! I happened to have some left over zucchini from making Kung Pau Chicken with Zucchini noodles the night before. I used the leftover zucchini for this recipe and it worked out wonderfully! I would suggest to constantly check on the crust within that 20 minute cooking period because mine ended up browning within that 20 minute time and I did not need to flip it or add more time because both sides browned nicely. Next time I will flatten my dough out more to get more surface space. Delicious, simple and nutritious. I cannot wait to try this again!

• Lauren August 15, 2014 at 9:17 am Reply

That’s great Ellen, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it! :)

65. Kimberly August 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reply

Do you think coconut flour would work just as well as the almond meal? I have somewhat of an aversion to almonds.

• Lauren August 25, 2014 at 10:10 pm Reply

Hi Kimberly,

Coconut flour is a bit more absorbent than almond, so you’d have to play with the amount a bit. You may only need as little as 2-4 tablespoons! You could also try an equal amount of ground oats, if you eat grains. :)