No-Bread Oatmeal French Toast

Can you guys believe there are only 3 official days of summer left?

It is still blazingly hot in AZ….we’re averaging in the high 90s and will probably continue to do so until mid-November… >:-/

Today’s post is going to be a bit abbreviated, as my family and I are moving into a new home this weekend, so I’ve got some serious packing to do!

This recipe is one I hope you’ll find intriguing enough to give a try, as it is not only healthy, but delicious!

French toast made from oatmeal!

The basic premise is the same as polenta. Polenta is basically cooked cornmeal. You can make it sweet or savory, depending on what you add in, and you can create a kind of cake with it by pouring it into a dish and letting it set. In this recipe, I just subbed the cornmeal for oats.

NO-BREAD OATMEAL FRENCH TOAST

BASE

2 1/4 c. water

1 1/2 c. oats

1/4 t. salt

Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the salt and oats. Cook, uncovered, until the oats are done and the water has completely evaporated.

Pour the cooked oatmeal into an oiled 8 x 8 baking dish.

Put the dish into the fridge, UNCOVERED, for at least 2 hours until set and firm to the touch. I usually do this step the night before and leave it in the fridge, uncovered, until morning.

CUSTARD

2 eggs (or 4 T. chickpea flour mixed with 6 T. water)

2/3 c. coconut milk (I used Trader Joe’s canned light variety)

1 T. honey or maple syrup

dash of salt

1/2 t. vanilla

1/2 t. cinnamon

a few scrapes of nutmeg

Mix the custard ingredients well. I usually make both components the night before and assemble everything in the morning.

In the morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Pour the custard mix into a pie plate. Cut the chilled oatmeal into nine equal squares. Dip oatmeal squares into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side.

Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil in a non-stick pan.  Place 2 slices of oatmeal ‘bread’ at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Remove from pan and place on baking sheet in oven for 5-10 minutes.  Repeat with all 9 slices.  Serve immediately with maple syrup or your favorite topping.

Either way you make this, the oat squares get nice and crisp on the outside, while still being soft and creamy on the inside….and you’re eating oatmeal, people.

I hope you guys like breakfast recipes, because that seems to be where my mind is at!

Wish us luck packing and moving! The girls are super excited!

……matching baby Uggs and all!

Have you ever tried apple cider vinegar for an ailment?

Shared with: Freaky Fridays, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Comments

Haha, yes they are! My first daughter grew out of her first pair, so I had to buy her new ones! She’s quite the ‘girly girl’.

I would guess around a week? Keep it covered until you decide to make it though, that way it doesn’t dry out. I only uncover it the night before to sort of ‘stale’ the oatmeal. That way it soaks up the custard better and gets that crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside taste.

Oh Lauren, what a great idea! Breakfast is DEFINITELY my thing…pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, eggs…I could go on and on! And I don’t discriminate when it comes to vegan options either…I made a fantastic vegan pumpkin French toast last fall that you just reminded me of (http://www.kissmybroccoliblog.com/2011/09/24/vegan-pumpkin-spice-french-toast/). And now I’m totally craving it!

I do the ACV every morning too…on its own, it doesn’t do anything for my energy levels, BUT it has worked wonders on my complexion! I know because I stopped taking it for about a week and ended up having a breakout within a couple of days…crazy!

Happy WIAW love! And omg, I can’t believe it’s almost officially fall! Eeeek!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..“Fall” into DeliciousnessMy Profile

That’s great to know about the ACV. I think Jenn said that as well about her skin…even if that’s the only benefit, it’s worth taking it! I’ll definitely have to check out your french toast!

That baked oatmeal/french toast looks fantastic, and I will definitely be checking out the egg-free version! Have you ever tried making it with anything other than oatmeal? I can’t eat it due to allergies, but I’m wondering if a similar “grain” flake might work…

I haven’t, but I know there are wheat and barley flakes at Whole Foods. If it’s gluten you’re having trouble with, you could just use polenta (cornmeal)! Short brown rice might even work!

Ah your girls are so precious! Love the baby uggs, I definitely want those and baby TOMS for my kids one day :) I started drinking acv every morning because of Jenn too! It’s been great and I think has made my skin softer, but who knows! This recipe looks awesome, I love french toast and using oats is such a great substitution! Good luck on your move! We have to be out of our apartment next weekend!
    freshlifefindings recently posted..Pumpkin Scones + Lose Control WorkoutMy Profile

I made this for my son and I for breakfast this morning (the vegan version), oh my goooosh so good. This is for sure going to be a staple, he is 20 months old and ate almost 2 squares!
    Gina recently posted..Goodbye, FriendMy Profile

This looks really, really good! If I’m not mistaken, GF oats are a lot cheaper than GF pancake mix and four. I’m trying this for sure. If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to visit my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up this and any other GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

6. Jennie says

Could I replace the chickpea flour with buckwheat or quinoa? My daughter is allergic to eggs and legumes, among other foods. Thanks.

I’ve not tried it, but I think taste-wise buckwheat would work the best. Let me know how it comes out if you try it!

7. Kacina says

This recipe is delicious! I’ve made it twice now and it was a HUGE hit with the whole family (And it’s super easy to make!). I did change just a few things…I added the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and syrup to the oatmeal mixture instead of the custard. The oatmeal squares had a lot more flavor that way. I also brushed the top of each square with maple syrup before baking it in the oven to impart more maple flavor. Absolutely delicious! We topped ours with banana, walnuts, and a tad more syrup. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!

8. Corinne says

Perhaps I missed something, but why did you preheat the oven? I never saw any baking instructions.
    These look really good & I’ll try them soon.

Hi Corinne,
      After the slices fry, you place them on a baking sheet in the oven for 5-10 minutes to get the outside extra crispy. The instructions are right above the second to last picture. :)

9. Kelly says

Just made these tonight for breakfast for dinner. These were great. My five year old liked them too. I made a thin peanut butter syrup to go on top. Thanks for a great recipe!

Could you just pour the Custard over this and bake ole a French toast casserole? Also is this meant to be 3 servings or more? I have to try this regardless. Your recipes are really creative!

Thanks Nancy! I’ve never tried it that way, but it may work. The serving size varies depending on how much you eat, but three is a good guess. :)

Trackbacks