No-Bread Oatmeal French Toast

Hi everyone, and happy WIAW! :-)

As always, thank you Jennifer for hosting this soiree.

Can you guys believe there are only 3 official days of summer left? It is still blazingly hot in AZ….we’re averaging in the high 90s and will probably continue to do so until mid-November… >:-/

Today’s post is going to be a bit abbreviated, as my family and I are moving into a new home this weekend, so I’ve got some serious packing to do! Let’s get right into what I’ve been eating!

I’ve read Jenn’s blog for quite some time and have noticed her affinity for apple cider vinegar! I’ve recently been trying it in the morning (when I remember)….

I notice a slight betterment in my digestion, but I haven’t noticed a whole lot energy-wise.

As usual, I’ve been eating lots of overnight oats….

My husband wants me to make him a bowl whenever he has work the next morning, and it seems impossible for me to do so without making a bowl for myself as well. :-) This particular bowl was my favorite overnight oats recipe, minus the chia and plus a teaspoon of carob. The carob is soooo good in there! It gives it just a slight caramel-like flavor, which I am seriously addicted to! I also like to use raw cacao for a chocolate-y taste.

I’ve been eating many salads lately!

My body seems to be craving the vegetables. I know how nutritious spinach and dark greens are, but recently I’ve been all about lettuce! Whole Foods has had a sale on green leaf lettuce, so I’ve been taking advantage and buying it whenever I go! Romaine is still my favorite though.

Today’s recipe is one I hope you’ll find intriguing enough to give a try, as it is not only healthy, but delicious!

French toast made from oatmeal!

The basic premise is the same as polenta. Polenta is basically cooked cornmeal. You can make it sweet or savory, depending on what you add in, and you can create a kind of cake with it by pouring it into a dish and letting it set. In this recipe, I just subbed the cornmeal for oats.

NO-BREAD OATMEAL FRENCH TOAST

BASE

2 1/4 c. water

1 1/2 c. oats

1/4 t. salt

Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the salt and oats. Cook, uncovered, until the oats are done and the water has completely evaporated.

Pour the cooked oatmeal into an oiled 8 x 8 baking dish.

Put the dish into the fridge, UNCOVERED, for at least 2 hours until set and firm to the touch. I usually do this step the night before and leave it in the fridge, uncovered, until morning.

CUSTARD

2 eggs (or 4 T. chickpea flour mixed with 6 T. water)

2/3 c. coconut milk (I used light)

1 T. honey or maple syrup

dash of salt

1/2 t. vanilla

1/2 t. cinnamon

a few scrapes of nutmeg, if desired

Mix the custard ingredients well. I usually make both components the night before and assemble everything in the morning.

In the morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Pour the custard mix into a pie plate. Cut the chilled oatmeal into nine equal squares. Dip oatmeal squares into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side.

Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil in a non-stick pan.  Place 2 slices of oatmeal ‘bread’ at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Remove from pan and place on baking sheet in oven for 5-10 minutes.  Repeat with all 9 slices.  Serve immediately with maple syrup or your favorite topping.

Either way you make this, the oat squares get nice and crisp on the outside, while still being soft and creamy on the inside….and you’re eating oatmeal, people.

I hope you guys like breakfast recipes, because that seems to be where my mind is at!

Wish us luck packing and moving! The girls are super excited!

……matching baby Uggs and all!

Have you ever tried apple cider vinegar for an ailment?

Shared with: Freaky Fridays, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

1. theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine September 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm Reply

Wow, I have never seen a oatmeal french toast recipe like this before, I am so intrigued! Aren’t baby Uggs just so darn cute?!?!
    theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Fall into Good HabitsMy Profile

• Lauren September 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm Reply

Haha, yes they are! My first daughter grew out of her first pair, so I had to buy her new ones! She’s quite the ‘girly girl’.

2. Ksenija @ Health Ninja September 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm Reply

Oatmeal french toast? Genious! Need to fit this in my prepare-for-the-week plan ;) How long do you think will they be good if kept in the fridge?
    Ksenija @ Health Ninja recently posted..Another {Bring It To Work} Wednesday feat. Veggie ChiliMy Profile

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 8:42 am Reply

I would guess around a week? Keep it covered until you decide to make it though, that way it doesn’t dry out. I only uncover it the night before to sort of ‘stale’ the oatmeal. That way it soaks up the custard better and gets that crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside taste.

3. Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 18, 2012 at 11:51 pm Reply

Oh Lauren, what a great idea! Breakfast is DEFINITELY my thing…pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, eggs…I could go on and on! And I don’t discriminate when it comes to vegan options either…I made a fantastic vegan pumpkin French toast last fall that you just reminded me of (http://www.kissmybroccoliblog.com/2011/09/24/vegan-pumpkin-spice-french-toast/). And now I’m totally craving it!

I do the ACV every morning too…on its own, it doesn’t do anything for my energy levels, BUT it has worked wonders on my complexion! I know because I stopped taking it for about a week and ended up having a breakout within a couple of days…crazy!

Happy WIAW love! And omg, I can’t believe it’s almost officially fall! Eeeek!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..“Fall” into DeliciousnessMy Profile

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 8:40 am Reply

That’s great to know about the ACV. I think Jenn said that as well about her skin…even if that’s the only benefit, it’s worth taking it! I’ll definitely have to check out your french toast!

4. inherchucks September 19, 2012 at 12:42 am Reply

Love that idea for Oatmeal French Toast! I can’t wait to give it a go :)

Thanks for sharing. Happy WIAW…
    inherchucks recently posted..NatureBox: Review & GIVEAWAY!My Profile

5. jessielovestorun September 19, 2012 at 7:06 am Reply

Wow, I’ve never heard of using oats for french toast. What an awesome idea!! I’ll definitely need to remember this!

6. Eating 4 Balance September 19, 2012 at 7:16 am Reply

That baked oatmeal/french toast looks fantastic, and I will definitely be checking out the egg-free version! Have you ever tried making it with anything other than oatmeal? I can’t eat it due to allergies, but I’m wondering if a similar “grain” flake might work…

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 8:38 am Reply

I haven’t, but I know there are wheat and barley flakes at Whole Foods. If it’s gluten you’re having trouble with, you could just use polenta (cornmeal)! Short brown rice might even work!

7. Alex @ therunwithin September 19, 2012 at 7:54 am Reply

that is such a great idea!
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..You’re OKMy Profile

8. Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 19, 2012 at 10:08 am Reply

Oh dannnnng this is a beautiful and clever recipe Lauren!!!! . Wow, I can’t imagine how good that must be! And healthy of course.
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..I’m Lovin’ ItMy Profile

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm Reply

Thanks Ellie! ♥

9. Natalie @ Free Range Human September 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm Reply

Wow! How original! I’ve never seen anything like this….definitely putting on the must try list!
    Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..The Mountains Are Calling….My Profile

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm Reply

Oh thank you! Let me know if you try it!

10. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm Reply

I think French toast needs bread :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..A Fall Breakfast: Pumpkin PancakesMy Profile

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm Reply

Hah! Not when you’re addicted to oatmeal!

11. Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition September 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm Reply

Mmm overnight oats are the best, and yours look amazing! As usual, your photos are gorgeous! Happy WIAW:)
    Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition recently posted..WIAW: Restaurant Edition!My Profile

• Lauren September 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm Reply

I concur! Overnight oats rule!

12. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm Reply

I drink ACV every morning when I first wake up. It has become strangely addictive.
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Warm Up with Cauliflower Lentil CurryMy Profile

13. freshlifefindings September 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm Reply

Ah your girls are so precious! Love the baby uggs, I definitely want those and baby TOMS for my kids one day :) I started drinking acv every morning because of Jenn too! It’s been great and I think has made my skin softer, but who knows! This recipe looks awesome, I love french toast and using oats is such a great substitution! Good luck on your move! We have to be out of our apartment next weekend!
    freshlifefindings recently posted..Pumpkin Scones + Lose Control WorkoutMy Profile

14. Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados September 22, 2012 at 7:25 am Reply

Omigosh, this looks delicious!!! I love French toast and have been missing it desperately! Such a clever idea! Also, I love the mini matching UGGs–that’s just precious :)

15. Gina October 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm Reply

I made this for my son and I for breakfast this morning (the vegan version), oh my goooosh so good. This is for sure going to be a staple, he is 20 months old and ate almost 2 squares!
    Gina recently posted..Goodbye, FriendMy Profile

• Lauren October 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm Reply

Oh Gina, that’s awesome! Thank you for the feedback!

16. Heidi October 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm Reply

This looks really, really good! If I’m not mistaken, GF oats are a lot cheaper than GF pancake mix and four. I’m trying this for sure. If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to visit my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up this and any other GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

• Lauren October 20, 2012 at 8:03 am Reply

Hi Heidi! I’ll definitely check it out, thanks for letting me know! :-)

17. Jennie October 23, 2012 at 10:21 pm Reply

Could I replace the chickpea flour with buckwheat or quinoa? My daughter is allergic to eggs and legumes, among other foods. Thanks.

• Lauren October 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply

I’ve not tried it, but I think taste-wise buckwheat would work the best. Let me know how it comes out if you try it!

18. Kacina December 23, 2012 at 8:03 am Reply

This recipe is delicious! I’ve made it twice now and it was a HUGE hit with the whole family (And it’s super easy to make!). I did change just a few things…I added the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and syrup to the oatmeal mixture instead of the custard. The oatmeal squares had a lot more flavor that way. I also brushed the top of each square with maple syrup before baking it in the oven to impart more maple flavor. Absolutely delicious! We topped ours with banana, walnuts, and a tad more syrup. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!

• Lauren December 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm Reply

Thank you Kacina! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Great idea about adding the spices to the oat mix. :-)

19. Corinne July 18, 2013 at 9:52 am Reply

Perhaps I missed something, but why did you preheat the oven? I never saw any baking instructions.
    These look really good & I’ll try them soon.

• Lauren July 18, 2013 at 1:19 pm Reply

Hi Corinne,
      After the slices fry, you place them on a baking sheet in the oven for 5-10 minutes to get the outside extra crispy. The instructions are right above the second to last picture. :)

• Corinne July 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm Reply

Thanks. I was sure it was there, but I just didn’t see it anywhere.

20. Kelly January 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm Reply

Just made these tonight for breakfast for dinner. These were great. My five year old liked them too. I made a thin peanut butter syrup to go on top. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Lauren January 18, 2014 at 5:22 pm Reply

That’s great Kelly! Thanks for your comment!

21. Kelly Lehmann February 23, 2014 at 10:09 am Reply

We loved this recipe! I’m going to jazz up the oats next time, maybe some cinnamon and raisins? Thanks for the great idea!

• Lauren February 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm Reply