Skinny Girl Maple Caramel Corn

Hello there! Welcome to another Fall edition of Oatmeal With A Fork!

Aren’t these cute? Such a sweet gift for newlyweds!

As I have mentioned, we recently moved from our first purchased home to a smaller (but super nice) townhouse. The housing market here in Tucson has been on the up, so my husband and I decided to take advantage of it and sell our house. It ended up selling very quickly, so we packed up and now we’re here….

….I thought it’d be cool to get a bit more personal today and show you some of our home! This is where the magic happens….

…c’mon, the blog magic! :-)….and this is where I’m sitting right now….

The white one with the Nalgene bottle is mine! My husband likes to sit across from me and peruse Craigslist or houses that are for sale. I swear, if he weren’t a fireman, he’d be a real estate agent. That boy is constantly watching HGTV!

I’m always interested in the personal lives of my favorite bloggers, so I thought someone might be interested in mine! It’s nice to share a bit more than a recipe now and then, but let’s move onto the food!

I have loooooooved Cracker Jack since I was a kid, and, subsequently, caramel corn as I got older, but most recipes call for tons of butter and sugar!! So, as usual, I decided to create my own healthy version….

This popcorn is lightly sweetened with only a bit of healthy fat from the coconut oil. The sprinkle of salt brings out the flavor and the sweetness….all in all, not a bad little snack!

1/4 c. unpopped organic popping corn

2 1/2 T. maple syrup

1 1/2 T. coconut oil

1/4 t. vanilla

scant 1/4 t. salt

Pop your corn, either in an air popper or on the stove.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a saucepan, heat the oil and the syrup. Boil the two ingredients for a solid minute. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla. Pour the mixture over the corn along with the salt, and toss everything together until it is thoroughly mixed. Place the popcorn on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. Without taking the pan out, turn the oven off and leave the popcorn in the oven for another 6 minutes. Remove the pan, cool, and enjoy!

You could add peanuts or your favorite type of nut to this as well to make it more reminiscent of Cracker Jack, but it is also delicious as is.

What was your favorite childhood snack?

Share something personal about yourself!…especially if you visit me often. :-)

I’ll tell you….I know every episode of I Love Lucy, I love curtains, I’m happiest as a red-head, and I know how to play the flute.

Shared with: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-free Friday, Freaky Friday

I know how you feel. Once I started eating this, I ended up eating all of it within two days! It didn’t sit heavy at all though, so that’s good at least, right?… :-/

Lauren you are so cute! I love that dress and that you showed us where you do your work :) This recipe sounds delicious, I love popcorn! About me: anytime I’m sick or sad, I watch You’ve Got Mail and I always feel happier :)

Thanks Natalie! I love that movie too! I know I’m going to sound like my grandma when I say this, but they don’t make movies like they used to!

Amazing! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I too love caramel corn, but all the fat and sugar is off putting. We make popcorn (stove top) most weekends to snack on and usually have a little butter and nutritional yeast on it, but this sweet version looks too good not to try! It’s bookmarked for the weekend, thank you.

That popcorn looks delicious! I love a good guilt free indulgence. Congrats on your new place, it looks really nice. We went from a house to a condo too, and it’s been great. My favorite childhood snacks were not guilt free at all :) I loved a good frosted pop tart and hostess apple pies. Fortunately I also loved (and still do) fruit of almost any kind.

Insider info about me, before I had kids I was a self defense instructor. I “retired” when I got pregnant with my daughter (now 4) but I sure do miss that job!

WOW! I tried your recipe the other night. It was so simple and AMAZING! Tasted like somewhere in between Kettle Corn and Caramel Corn. We have friends coming over tomorrow night with kids, and I’m excited to serve this special treat that doesn’t use too much sugar. Way to go! It’s a homerun and a new family favorite! Thank you!

5. Donna says

Gosh I love your blog and everything you put ON it…and appreciate what goes INTO it…Thanks for your continuous, selfless sharing!…THIS…will accompany our weekend flick looks delish. Question….what kind of peanut would you add if one wanted a “Cracker Jack” feel to it…just sayin’!!….a red-skinned peanut?!…I forget just what exactly WAS the peanut they used to put in my beloved little rectangular boxes when I was back in the States!

The most ‘traditional’ peanuts I’ve found are at Trader Joe’s and they are just roasted Valencia peanuts. I’m sure the red-skinned would work fine as well though, but I don’t remember liking them very well myself. I hope you enjoy the recipe Donna! 😀

Finally – popcorn I can actually eat! I literally squealed with delight (inside since a family member is snoozing across from me) when I read the ingredients! I recently became plant-based and there is no turning back for me. I hate cold weather. I have a huge desire to adopt when the time is right. I just got back from a 3 month volunteer stint at an orphanage in Uganda.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to create recipes that I can eat (well, not all your recipes…but close enough) and for posting them. Now that my comment is incredibly long…can’t wait to make this!

I love to read your comments!