Homemade Milk Duds

Happy Halloween everyone!

I figure most of you are in a hurry to get to your own Halloween mischief, so I’m going to jump right in with today’s recipe (which just happens to also be a healthy Halloween treat)….

These babies have no corn syrup, no white sugar, and certainly no hydrogenated oils….

…but they are just as good as the ones that do!

Buttery caramel on the inside, and a sweet, soft milk chocolate coating…no tears shed for the missing toxins…

MILK DUD BON-BONS

CARAMEL

2 T. raw almond butter

1 T. maple syrup

1 T. coconut oil

1 T. coconut milk (almond milk works as well)

pinch salt

Whisk all until cohesive. Pour into a shallow non-stick skillet and heat until it comes to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer on low for about 2 minutes. It will become thicker and darker. Pour into a glass bowl, and put into the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. Roll the ‘dough’ into nickel-sized balls and place on a wax paper-lined plate. Once all the dough has been used, place the plate into the freezer. Proceed to make the milk chocolate coating.

MILK CHOCOLATE COATING

1/4 c. cocoa butter, melted (you can use coconut oil, but keep in mind it doesn’t stay hard at room temperature like cocoa butter)

1/4 c. cocoa powder

2 T. coconut milk

2 T. honey (or maple syrup if vegan)

a couple of dashes of salt

1 t. vanilla

All ingredients should be room temperature, if possible. Melt the cocoa butter in a non-stick skillet. Whisk everything together. You may wish to keep everything in the skillet, as the mixture needs to remain warm or the cocoa butter will set.

From above…

1. Take the frozen caramel balls…

2. The easiest method I’ve found for coating is to put the balls on toothpicks.

3. Dip the ball into the chocolate.

4. Ta-da! Place the balls back onto the wax paper to set. You can remove the toothpicks or leave them on for a cleaner bite. :-)

Pop these into the freezer once you’re finished for a delicious bon-bon treat!

What is everyone doing tonight??!!

I think my husband and I are going to paint our faces like zombies, dress up our daughters as princesses, and go trick-or-treating till we drop! Let’s face it, this is why I had kids. 😉

I hope everyone has a super cool and safe Halloween!

Shared with: Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, Keep It Real Thursday, The Pennywise Platter, Gluten-Free Friday, Wellness Weekend, Healthy Vegan Friday, Fight Back Friday, Allergy-Friendly Friday

Comments

Hahaha, I was just commenting on your pie! How funny given that we’ve never been to each other’s sites before! Yes, I will definitely check out your link-up. Thanks for letting me know! :-)

I originally wanted to recreate the Twix bar, but then I saw those pop up everywhere! My mom and I used to share Milk Duds at the movies, so that’s what inspired these.

• Ashley says

Hi Lauren–these look so yummy! I was actually thinking of tweaking it to recreate Twix for a friend’s birthday. What would you suggest for the cookie part?

Hi Ashley! Haha! I almost made these into Twix bars, but then I started seeing them on other blogs, so I adjusted the recipe to Milk Duds. If I had made Twix bars, I would have added a shortbread layer in the middle. I hope that helps! :-)

Um, YUM! I’ve been using melted chocolate for my candy coatings but you’re making me think I should make my own. It’s probably more cost effective too. =)

Where do you get cocoa butter? Do they sell it right with the coconut oil?

I actually buy the NOW brand through iHerb. It’s the cheapest I’ve found. There’s a health food store in my town that sells it in bulk, but I’m not sure how common that is… Chocolate definitely tastes better with the cocoa butter, and it doesn’t melt like coconut oil. :-)

Seriously, these might be the cutest little things ever! I wonder if I could sub in sunbutter or soy nut butter? We have treenut/peanut allergies in our house. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We had 101 awesome recipes! What a great resource we are creating!! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

The winner of the Domata prize pack will be announced Thursday at the party!
    Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) recently posted..Chickpea and Kale Stir Fry – #glutenfree #veganMy Profile

Thanks Cindy! I think your substitution would work…the main point of the nut butter is the fat content. I’m happy to link up with you! It’s nice to find other health-oriented homemakers/moms to interact with. :-)

3. Meg says

Do you think this caramel would stick to apples to make caramel apples? I am trying to use xylitol or stevia, even a little honey, not too much is ok but this is difficult :l I wasted a lot of ingredients tonight. boooo :(

Hi Meg,

I’m not sure I understand your question…you’re trying to use this on apples with another sweetener? I haven’t tried these any other way than as stated, so I’m not sure. Sorry!

Trackbacks