Carrot Nog

Hi everyone! Welcome! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was spent working on numerous recipes, all of which left my kitchen looking like this….

….the other side is worse.

I ended up with some great creations though! My husband had some of his family in town from Oregon, so I was able to use them as taste testers, which was fun!

Today’s recipe is an awesome one, especially if you are vegan or just looking for healthy alternatives…

Carrot Nog!

Carrot Nog is the brain child of a healthy girl’s insatiable desire for eggnog….ahem, me.

This delicious drink has been veganized and healthified (them is words, right?)… ;-)

This is one holiday treat you’ll want to (and can) experience again and again throughout the year!

Carrot Nog

Serves: 2
  • ½ c. coconut milk (I used light)
  • ½ c. almond milk
  • ⅓ c. fresh carrot juice (I got this by juicing 3 carrots)
  • ⅛ t. salt
  • 2-3 t. maple syrup (I liked 2, but a couple of my tasters liked 3)
  • ⅛-1/4 t. nutmeg (freshly ground, if possible…the pre-ground stuff is not as good)
  • 1 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 1½ t. slippery elm, powdered (optional, but it adds to the sweetness and thickness)
  1. Blend everything until well combined.
  2. Chill for a bit in the fridge.
  3. Enjoy with some shredded carrot, dried coconut, or some whipped coconut cream!
The nutrition info is based on using 3 teaspoons of maple syrup and no slippery elm powder. Weight Watchers points (new system): 11
Serving size: 2 Calories: 369 Fat: 35.5 g Saturated fat: 31.3 g Unsaturated fat: 4.2 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 15.2 g Sugar: 10.9 g Sodium: 179 mg Fiber: 3.2 g Protein: 2.9 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

The addition of the slippery elm, as I stated, provides sweetness and thickness, but it also hosts a slurry of other benefits including:

• provides gastrointestinal relief in cases of irritable bowel syndrome
  • provides respiratory relief in cases of bronchitis or coughing
  • provides skin relief in cases of psoriasis, boils, and burns

These are just some of the ailments helped and more reasons for you to try this drink! It’s creamy, healthy, and absolutely delectable!

…..and save your carrot pulp! I’ll have a recipe for it soon!

I wanted to mention my friend Natalie’s blog for a moment. She sent my husband and I a free sample of an energy product called ReVive America, which provides an energy boost at the cellular level instead of just giving you caffeine high. I had my husband try it, as I am still nursing Natalie (my daughter, not my blog friend :-)), and he really liked it! He typically gulps down a pre-workout drink just about every day before he heads in for his two hours at the gym, so he knows what it feels like to be amped. While he obviously didn’t find it quite as effective as his usual chemical concoction, he felt a definite change in his energy level and really enjoyed the taste of the drink! It’s also A LOT healthier than what he typically gulps down, so that’s a HUGE plus in my eyes. For more info, head here https://www.vollara.com/reviveamerica/.

If you decide to give it a try, call 877-358-9822, and use the code 762474 to get 50% off your purchase!

Do you drink eggnog?

What’s your favorite holiday treat?

In addition to eggnog, I love Christmas cookies…frosted…with little silver bell sprinkles. :-)

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Keep It Real Thursday, The Pennywise Platter, Gluten-Free Friday

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

1. Amanda November 12, 2012 at 10:08 am Reply

Your carrot nog recipe is seriously genius! I am obsessed with the soy and coconut milk nog around this time of the year, so I am really excited to try your version! I’m not really familiar with slippery elm…did you buy it online?
    Amanda recently posted..Gluten-Free Oatmeal Goji Berry CookiesMy Profile

• Lauren November 12, 2012 at 10:50 am Reply

Thanks Amanda! I actually bought from a local health food store in bulk, but I’m sure you could buy it online. Its not a crucial component, but it does add thickness and a little sweetness. Let me know if you try it!

2. Dana November 12, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

Great recipe/concept! Count me in!!! :). …just need to find some slippery elm. Thanks Lauren!

3. Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

A messy kitchen is a sign of good food to come:) My husband is a huge fan of regular eggnog and I’m not. Finally I have a better and healthier alternative. Thanks for sharing this it sounds awesome:)
    Nancy/SpicieFoodie recently posted..Easy Miso Udon Soup and My Favorite Soup and Stew RecipesMy Profile

4. Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reply

A messy kitchen is a sign of good food to come:) My husband is a huge fan of regular eggnog and I’m not. Finally I have a better and healthier alternative. Thanks for sharing:)

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies November 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm Reply

My husband is addicted to eggnog. He got his first carton of the year on Saturday and he was pretty excited about it. :) I’d love to get him hooked on a healthier version–one that I can have too. This looks perfect!
    Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..Recipe | Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash RingsMy Profile

6. Gabby @ the veggie nook November 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reply

What an amazing recipe! I love the colour too! I always loved egg nog but haven’t tried any vegan versions except for a boxed eggnog years ago- I definitely want to try this! Just need to get my hands on a juicer ;)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #16My Profile

• Lauren November 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm Reply

Thank you Gabby! I hope you’re able to try it out. :-)

7. freshlifefindings November 13, 2012 at 7:51 am Reply

Yum, Carrot Nog?! You are always so creative with your healthy foods. Always inspiring me :) And thanks for the shout-out, glad your husband liked the energy drink!
    freshlifefindings recently posted..Farmer’s Market Finds + Family Time by the FireMy Profile

8. Eileen Beran November 14, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

This looks wonderful and healthful! Thanks for sharing.

9. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures November 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reply

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)
    Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures recently posted..Make Your Own Elderberry Extract (easy!)My Profile

10. Chris January 28, 2013 at 5:55 am Reply

What is the nutrition information for this? How many does it serve?

11. Candice November 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm Reply

Loved this (eggless) nog recipe! I included it in this year’s “Food Allergy Friendly and Clean Eating” Thanksgiving recipe round-up. Thank you for continuing to make such great allergy-friendly recipes.

Candice recently posted..2013 Food Allergy Friendly and Clean Eating ThanksgivingMy Profile

• Lauren November 15, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

Thank you Candice! :-D

12. Skinny Eggnog (Paleo) | Oatmeal with a Fork December 16, 2013 at 5:00 am Reply

[…] I love the vegan nog I made last year, this year, I wanted something a bit more true to the traditional variety, sans alcohol and copious […]

13. […] (via Carrot Nog | Oatmeal with a Fork) […]