Chocolate Teddy Bear Grahams

Baby let me be….your loving’ teddy bear….put a chain around my neck, and lead me anywhere…..

This song (courtesy of Mr. Presley, in case you didn’t know) was in my head pretty much the entire time I was making this recipe….

While patterned after these deliciously lovable cubs, this Teddy Graham recipe is high in protein, low in sugar, and rich in chocolaty taste!

They’re crispy, they’re chocolaty, they’re freakin’ adorable!….but they’re so tasty, you won’t think twice about biting their cute little heads off….

CHOCOLATE TEDDY BEAR GRAHAMS

Click here for nutritional information

1/2 c. chickpea flour

1/2 c. buckwheat flour (measure groats first, then grind)

1 T. cocoa powder

1 T. carob powder (or more cocoa)

1/4 t. baking soda

1 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. salt

2 T. coconut sugar, ground into a powder

1 T. molasses

2 T. coconut oil, melted

1/2 t. vanilla

5 drops liquid stevia, or another teaspoon of ground coconut sugar

3-6 T. almond milk (I’ve used water as well with good results), as needed to create dough

1 T. sugar mixed with 1 t. cinnamon, optional, to top the crackers with

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the dry ingredients (flours, cocoa, carob, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and coconut sugar). Mix together the wet (molasses, oil, vanilla, stevia, and 3 T. milk or water) in a separate bowl. Mix the dry with the wet. Add more milk/water a teaspoon at a time until the dough is all combined, but not too sticky to handle. Roll the dough into a large ball (p.s. do NOT judge the taste of these by the taste of the dough…chickpea flour is AWFUL when it isn’t cooked)….

….and put it between a sheet of parchment paper (on bottom) and plastic wrap (on top)…..

Roll the dough out to a thickness of about 1/8 of an inch. At this point, you can get creative with whatever cookie cutters you have or make them the traditional way with a pizza cutter and a fork…..

….top them with the optional cinnamon sugar and bake ‘em on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 22 minutes…

Yum yum!

…and you know my favorite way to eat graham crackers?….here’s a hint….

These boys are having a, ahem, bonfire to celebrate the recipe that’ll be coming Wednesday! It’ll totally have you rethinking the way you’ve ever made S’mores!

On a separate note, I was recently contacted to try out a really neat product! The nice people over at Hoo-rag sent my one of their cool bandanas to try out, and I just love it! It’s a light weight article that can be worn multiple ways, and I’ve got just the model to show you a couple of my faves….

….just like her shirt says, ‘cute, cute, cute’!

It can also be used as a ponytail tie, a face mask, and many others. They have multiple styles and patterns to choose from, making it customizable for your personal look. It’s an easy way for me to keep my hair back when I’m in the kitchen! :-)

I’m under no obligation to write anything positive about this product. I just received the sample in the mail and have been really enjoying it! If you want more information, click here.

What’s your favorite way to enjoy graham crackers?

Um, s’mores, s’mores, and, oh yeah, s’mores. Wednesday people. Wednesday.

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, The Pennywise Platter

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1. Chris December 10, 2012 at 5:34 am Reply

How many does this make? It looks awesome! I wonder how you can create the cinnamon version…maybe just eliminate the cocoa powder and add vanilla extract and cinnamon.

• Lauren December 10, 2012 at 9:25 am Reply

Hi Chris, yes, I’d eliminate both the cocoa and the carob, and double the cinnamon and vanilla. You will probably have to lower the liquid as well. Start out with 1 tablespoon and increase it from there. I hope you like them! :-)

2. JoAnn December 10, 2012 at 7:51 am Reply

I don’t use stevia, what and how much can I substiute with something else? thank you

• Lauren December 10, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

That’s no problem, I’d just add an extra teaspoon of coconut sugar.

3. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 10, 2012 at 8:31 am Reply

you’ve got yourself an adorable model! :)
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s Five!My Profile

• Lauren December 10, 2012 at 9:26 am Reply

Haha! Thanks girl! :-)

4. Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 10, 2012 at 11:54 am Reply

Wowww these look so good and creative! What a FUNNNNN and muahahah…deceiving way (just kidding) to feed your kids! I think i’ll be like that too when our bebe is born. :P And she looks really fashionable with the hoo-rag~very vintage-y!
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Find What You LikeMy Profile

• Lauren December 11, 2012 at 8:40 am Reply

Thanks Ellie! It’s good to ‘see’ you! :-) I hope you’re feeling well!

5. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate December 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm Reply

OMG! Love this!

Where is the peanut butter to dip these in? :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..How Often Do You Go Out To Lunch?My Profile

6. jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur December 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply

These teddy bear grahams look delicious! Of course, I’m a fan of all things chocolate, but I love that you used garbanzo bean flour here for a nice little protein kick. And the low sugar content is certainly a plus. I’ll definitely have to add these to my snack rotation!
    jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur recently posted..Sweet and Salty Roasted Coconut ChipsMy Profile

7. Adrienne @ Whole New Mom December 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm Reply

Just shared on FB- cute cute cute!!!
    Adrienne @ Whole New Mom recently posted..The Great Essential Oils Showdown – Which Essential Oils Company is Best? Part TwoMy Profile

• Lauren December 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm Reply

Thank you!! :-)

8. Jamie December 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm Reply

My son can’t have chickpea flour. What could I use instead?

• Lauren December 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm Reply

Hi Jamie, I would just use all buckwheat flour. Measure the groats first, and then grind them. :-)

• Jaime December 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm Reply

What about brown rice and/or amaranth flour? Those are the only two for now my daughter can have.

• Lauren December 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm Reply

I can’t really vouch for the amaranth flour, as I haven’t worked with it much. If you try brown rice, I would add a binder of some sort like psyllium husks, ground chia, or ground flax.

9. freshlifefindings December 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm Reply

These are so cute! I love teddy grahams and I hope I’m a good mom like you one day to make my kids healthy teddy grahams :) Your daughter is so stinkin’ cute!
    freshlifefindings recently posted..Pumpkin Butter Oatmeal + 30 Countdown WorkoutMy Profile

10. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures December 16, 2012 at 1:22 pm Reply

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)
    Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures recently posted..Seven+ Superfoods, Part 1: GacMy Profile

11. Chris December 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm Reply

Again, can you post the nutrition facts because the link is invalid. Thanks!

• Lauren December 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm Reply

Sorry Chris, I am in the process of fixing it! :-)

• Lauren December 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm Reply

The links should be working now! Let me know if you still have trouble.

12. Stephanie Wilson March 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reply

Lauren! These are AMAZING!! I just made them for the first time today, and can hardly believe how much they taste like authentic Teddy Grahams! I have many, many allergies, so I have not been able to eat Teddy Grahams for years. I used a generic GF flour mix, and they turned out great! These were so simple to make and so delicious, I don’t think I would eat real Teddy Grahams if I could! Thanks for such an outstanding recipe! You are a gem, keep up the good work sister!

• Lauren March 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reply

Thanks girl! What a sweet message to come home to! :-)

13. CanDoMom February 13, 2014 at 2:22 pm Reply

Hi. I have pre-ground buckwheat flour. Do you know what measurement I should use if I’m not grinding the groats myself?

• Lauren February 13, 2014 at 3:14 pm Reply

Hi there,

I’m not positive, but I’d say just a bit less than 1/2 cup. You may just need to adjust the amount of milk used to get the right balance. Happy baking!

14. Mindy May 7, 2014 at 5:52 am Reply

I split the dry ingredients in half and made half chocolate, half cinnamon (using Lauren’s suggestion of doubling the cinnamon and vanilla), and I have to say that the cinnamon ones are addictively amazing!! I used chickpea flour and ground gluten free oat groats instead of the buckwheat. The chocolate ones are okay–I might substitute oatmeal flour for the chickpea flour also in them, because you can taste the sourness of the chickpea flour when it’s not covered by extra cinnamon and vanilla. LOVE LOVE LOVE the cinnamon though!!! Thanks for the great recipes :)