Ooey, Gooey S’mores (with Vegan Marshmallow Cream)

Today’s recipe has had me experiencing a wide array of emotions.

Surprise, excitement, satisfaction, disappointment, panic, relief….just to name a few.

Ever since stumbling across this little blurb regarding marshmallow root, I’ve been aiming to create the holy grail of vegan wants…the marshmallow. Ok, maybe I’m overstating myself, but for some reason, even though I myself am not vegan, I have longed to create a vegan marshmallow. I’ve tried MANY times….using agar, using arrowroot, using glucomannan (I really thought I had it that time), and failed…..until now.

s2

Who would have thought that marshmallow root would be the secret to marshmallows? Not me.

The Egyptians are thought to have discovered marshmallow root. They would mix it with honey and nuts for a treat, though no one knows what it looked like. While the process for making today’s marshmallows was developed in the early 1900s, marshmallows didn’t actually start becoming popular until the 50s, and they were nothing like the Egyptian confections. Doctors then began mixing the herb with sugar and egg whites and giving it to children for sore throats. Gelatin later replaced the root, rendering the candy ineffective for anything other than a good blood sugar spike.

The corn syrup/sugar pillows that we inhale today, while delicious, are void of the actual component that dawned their creation in the first place. Until now.

MARSHMALLOW CREAM

Click here for nutritional information

2 T. milk (I use coconut or almond)

1 t. coconut oil, melted

1-2 t. maple syrup, to taste (you could also use stevia for a sugar-free cream…1 teaspoon of sweetener = 2 to 4 drops of liquid stevia)

pinch salt

1/4-1/2 t. vanilla extract

1-2 T. marshmallow root powder (if you’re aiming to make a more pliable ‘cream’, use 1 tablespoon, if you want to try to set them and cut them into marshmallow cubes, use 2)

Mix everything together in a bowl. Place in the fridge for about an hour to allow to ‘set’.

spoon3

While I didn’t cut these into the traditional fluffy cubes, I believe this could be done with a large enough batch.

To assemble the S’mores:

Start with a graham cracker. To create a traditional cinnamon graham cracker, I used this recipe with the following changes (thank you Chris for the inquiry Monday):

• eliminate the cocoa and carob powders
  • double the cinnamon and vanilla amounts
  • reduce the liquid….start with 1 tablespoon (I ended up using about 1 1/2 tablespoons)

Follow the remaining directions and ingredients as stated. I cut this batch into squares for the purpose of making these S’mores.

Top the graham cracker with a chocolate syrup…I used a Homemade Chocolate Syrup (recipe coming Friday!), but you could also use the Chocolate Layer from my Double Layer Peppermint Bark, just eliminate the mint extract. I used a syrup because, obviously, this cream won’t hold up very well over a flame, so there is no heat to melt the chocolate. :-)

s0

Top the chocolate syrup with the marshmallow cream….

s4

….cap it with another graham cracker and voila!

s6

….and in case you were wondering about the taste….

IMG_0145

….I’m sure she’ll thank me for that one in 12 years.

When was the last time you had a s’more?

Before my husband and I were married, he lived in a tiny apartment with virtually no furniture, and one night we sat on the floor and made them by the light of tea candles. :-)

Shared with: Real Food Wednesday , Whole Foods Wednesday, Keep It Real Thursday, Gluten-Free Friday, Healthy Vegan Friday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1. Stephanie Wilson December 12, 2012 at 7:44 am Reply

Bliss! I love the marshmallow cream…cannot wait to try this!! My husband thanks you in advance…haha! BTW, your girls are just too adorable! The pictures you share always make me giggle!
    Stephanie Wilson recently posted..Seed Butter Bits & BuddiesMy Profile

• Lauren December 12, 2012 at 9:54 am Reply

Thanks Stephanie! Haha, right now my daughter loves being a ham, but we’ll see how she is in the future! I hope you get to try the cream! :-)

2. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate December 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm Reply

Kill me now! These look fantastic.
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..How Often Do You Go Out To Lunch?My Profile

• Lauren December 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm Reply

Thanks Matt! I’m happy whenever I wow you. :-)

3. Gabby @ the veggie nook December 13, 2012 at 6:14 am Reply

Wow this is seriously epic. Need to find some marshmallow root!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..wiaw #30- welcoming back some sweetnessMy Profile

4. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) December 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm Reply

Yep, she’ll thank you for that one in 12 years :) LOL YUM!! We have been having such great recipes at our Gluten Free Fridays parties! I really appreciate you being part of the link up and part of the community! :)

Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again this week!

See you next week!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
    Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) recently posted..#glutenfreefridays #18 is live! Come link up your #glutenfree recipesMy Profile

5. Heather December 13, 2012 at 9:10 pm Reply

Yummy! I’ve been wanting to know how to make good gf, sugar free marshmallows! :) Can you get marshmallow root at a regular grocery store? Is it in powder form or what? Thanks!

• Lauren December 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm Reply

Hi Heather! It is a powder, and I buy it in bulk at a local health food store, but I have seen it online as well. I hope you get to try them! :-)

6. Laura @ The Spinach Spot December 14, 2012 at 6:37 am Reply

Lauren,
    These look awesome! I know my kiddos would love them.
    Laura @ The Spinach Spot recently posted..Homemade Gifts: Dairy Free Irish CreamMy Profile

• Lauren December 14, 2012 at 8:00 am Reply

Thanks Laura! It really is a nice treat for kids. :-)

7. Maryann December 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply

I just want to do this to make marshmallow cream. yum. I found you from the Gluten Free Friday Blog Hop
    Maryann recently posted..Flash #Giveaway Coach Peyton Satchel $298 Value!My Profile

• Lauren December 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

Hi Maryann, thank you for visiting! :-)

8. Chris December 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm Reply

Again, the nutrition facts link does not work. Can you post them? Thanks!

9. Chris January 31, 2013 at 6:40 pm Reply

Hi I could not wait to make these! I ordered marshmallow root online specifically for this recipe. However, I just made the marshmallows and they have clumps of marshmallow root in them. Did you mean to say marshmallow root powder? Where did you get your marshmallow root?

Thanks!

• Lauren January 31, 2013 at 8:18 pm Reply

Yes, I did mean the powder. I’m really sorry about that…I just changed the recipe to read correctly. Do you have a coffee grinder? You could grind the root until it is really fine and then use it!

10. Chris February 1, 2013 at 4:20 am Reply

I understand, but I am soo disappointed. I could not wait to cut marshmallows! I do not have a coffee grinder. Will a bullet work? Where did you get your marshmallow root powder?

• Lauren February 1, 2013 at 8:50 am Reply

I’m not sure about the bullet, as I’ve never owned one. I bought my powder from a local health food store, but they sell it on Amazon.

11. Cathy June 21, 2013 at 11:57 am Reply

This looks brilliant, I have been looking for a good recipe for a while. One question though, is “1T” one tablespoon and “2t” two teaspoons etc.? After my last attempt was a disaster, I want to be following the recipe exactly for my 1st attempt :P

• Lauren June 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm Reply

Thanks Cathy! Yes, T is tablespoon and t is teaspoon. I hope they turn out for you! :-)

12. T.G. June 6, 2014 at 4:48 pm Reply

How much cream does the recipe make? I need to make the equivalent of a regular jar of fluff, so I want to get my measurements correct before ordering the powder. Thanks for the recipe…looking forward to trying a vegan, soy-free version!
    T.G. recently posted..doTERRA Series: TerraShield Insect RepellentMy Profile

• Lauren June 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm Reply

Hi T.G.,

It makes about 1/4-1/2 cup, but I’m unsure how that holds up with time. If you try it out, let me know how it works out! :)