3-Ingredient Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Cookies

Hello all! Welcome back to Firefighter Friday!

IMG_6299

A lot of the firemen my husband works with are on the paleo diet, so I’ll be incorporating more of these type of recipes into my Friday posts….beginning with today’s delicious cookies….

pb4

….these babies are not only gluten-free and grain-free, but they are SUGAR-FREE!….

pb1

…I actually didn’t know if this recipe would work structurally, technically, aesthetically, or palatably….but it did….

3-Ingredient Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Cookies

Recipe type: Sweets
Serves: 10
  • ½ c. cold peanut butter (I used salted), I find that crunchy works best, but creamy works as well (to make these paleo, use almond butter)
  • 4 T. mashed banana, DON'T use any more or they won't bake correctly
  • ⅛-1/4 t. nutmeg, freshly grated (I love nutmeg, so I use the higher amount)
  • splash vanilla, optional
  • ⅛ t. salt (a bit more if you used unsalted peanut or almond butter)
  1. Preheat the oven to 340 degrees.
  2. Mix all of the ingredients together until combined.
  3. Be aware that the higher amount of banana will make the cookie a bit chewier (but sweeter), while the lower amount will give the cookie more crispy edges.
  4. Put spoonfuls of batter down (I get about 10 cookies) on an oiled cookie sheet.
  5. Bake for approximately 11 minutes (cookies should be firm to the touch).
  6. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes before removing them from the cookie sheet (this gives them time to set).
  7. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (using the new system): 2
Serving size: 10 Calories: 81 Fat: 6.5 g Saturated fat: 1.4 g Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 3.7 g Sugar: 1.8 g Sodium: 90 mg Fiber: 0.9 g Protein: 3.3 g Cholesterol: 0

Please note the new recipe format….all of the nutritional information (as well as Weight Watchers points) is located at the bottom of the recipe box.

pb3

These really are a healthy and tasty way to get a cookie fix, but please be aware that they are NOT the sweetest cookie. If you’d like to add a touch more sweetness, you can add a bit of stevia to the batter.

The nutmeg is a delicious addition that compliments the flavor nicely!….and these are suitable for all tastes including vegan, gluten-free, candida-friendly, grain-free, and paleo (if using the almond butter).

I hope you all are enjoying reading (and possibly trying) these recipes as much as I’m enjoying making and posting them.

Have a happy weekend!

Shared with: Allergy Free Wednesday, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Friday

Comments

Hi Gabby! I’m not sure because applesauce has a higher water content. You might try apple butter or even pumpkin and add a bit of stevia if you’re able…or maybe you can cook the applesauce down a bit? In my pumpkin fudge, I simmered the pumpkin to dry it out a bit, and it became thicker. Let me know if you try anything out! :-)

Thank you so much Marya! It’s tough to go sugar-free, but I think it’ll be worth it. I’m still at the point though where I just want a huge piece of dark chocolate. :-)

Starting Monday, I will be going on a 21 day cleanse from processed foods and refined sugars, so this recipe will definitely be used when I am craving something sweet. You have no idea how hard it has been to find desserts to fit in with my cleanse, but do not contain flour, or sugar, but are delicious. This fits the bill, and it’s extremely healthy too! Cannot wait to bake this : )
    Christabel recently posted..Pears Galore: Pear Pudding & Brown Butter Spiced Pear MuffinsMy Profile

Wow! These are too good to be true. Makes me wish I was not allergic to peanut butter. I always love checking out your creative recipes, Lauren. This was a reader favorite this week on AFW! Great job.

Hugs,
    –Amber

3. Becky says

These look awesome. Question: can they be paleo when they contain peanut butter? I thought paleo foodists did not eat legumes. (Makes no difference to me, I am just curious.)

Hi Becky! I believe I was thinking that the peanut butter could be subbed for almond butter….you’re right though, it’s misleading, and I’ll change it! :-)

4. Kinzie says

As info… I saw a recipe for sugar-free meringues somewhere on the web using egg whites and maple syrup. But that they don’t “hold” long… so they need to be eaten within a few hours. Not something you could make far in advance for a gathering, for instance.

I need to make these cookies. Today. :)

But why does it say three-ingredient when there are five? The nutmeg and vanilla are optional?

Haha, it is a bit misleading, I admit. The vanilla is optional. The salt is a ‘freebie’ according to ingredient guru Claire Robinson. The mandatory ingredients are the pb, banana, and nutmeg. If you’re using salted pb, you may not even need the additional salt, but I am a salt fiend, so I always add extra. I hope you enjoy them! :)

5. Bonnie says

I just made these and they did not turn out at all. I baked them for 11 minutes and they were totally soggy so I threw them back in for another 5 minutes. Still not good after cooling them. So they are in again…..

I’m so sorry they didn’t work for you. I had the same problem when I added too much banana. Did you stay within 4-5 tablespoons of mashed banana? I found that over 5 tablespoons was when they started to not cook. The pictures are of my good batches, so they do work! I also used a natural peanut butter. I hope you were able to salvage them after a longer cooking time.

Hi! I just these but added GF oatmeal and raisins. substituted pb with almond butter, and baked it at 350 for 14 mins and they’ve turned out wonderful!! :) definitely baking this again! thanks for the recipe!

Just tried this out and it was great! substituted PB with almond butter; added GF oatmeal and some raisins. Baked for 15 mins at 350. Turned out like a cookie and less like the pb wafer, but still delicious 😀 thanks for the recipe!

8. Sharon S says

These are amazing! I am on a cleansing diet from 7 foods including gluten, peanuts, eggs, dairy and sugar. Was looking for a sweet recipe that had none of the above, not easy! I substituted cashew butter for the peanut butter. I am so happy I found your site! :)

9. amy says

could i add oatmeal to these without messing them up too much? would i need to add a bit more PB for viscosity?

Hi Amy,
      There was another commenter that did the same thing, and she said they turned out great! I would just start out with a small amount so that it doesn’t become too thick, but I think it would work out really well! :-)

10. Ebony says

These are awesome!!! I’ve been looking for something sweet and natural and they worked out great! And my kids LOVE them!!! I used almond butter, doubled the ingredients, placed in a muffin pan, and baked an additional 4 minutes. Thanks SO much for posting this recipe! We’re Paleo-ish, clean eaters (non-GMO’s) and good tasting, kid-approved recipes are difficult to find! I have one child with Autism and the other has ADD. They have opposite texture/sensory preferences but they both LOVED their new, naturally simple “banana nut muffins!”

11. LG says

I followed this recipe to the letter, tried twice, both
    turned out crumbly and tasted pretty awful. I was really hoping
    they would turn out :(

How interesting! I just made a batch for my daughter today, and they turned out great! As far as taste goes, it’s obviously not going to be as good as a sugar-sweetened cookie, but they make great snacks. The little bit of banana is just enough for me, but you can always add a bit of stevia if you like. Sorry it didn’t work out for you!

• LG says

Thanks for your reply :) I actually did use cold peanut butter
        I had been storing it in the fridge. I think for me it was the salt,
        not the lack of sugar that was a turn off. I’m going to try it with
        unsalted peanut butter next time. I bet cacao powder or nibs
        would be nice in it, too.

I just wanted to tell you as well (and I made these changes to the recipe today) that 1) it works best if your peanut butter is cold, and 2) let the cookies sit for 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet after they come out of the oven. Happy baking!

These look really good, but how are they only 10 calories? there are 8 tablespoons of peanut butter here, which is 800 calories. divided by 11 would be 72.

13. Captain Obvious says

One question: Am I the only person to notice that this “3 ingredient cookie” recipe has 5 ingredients? Even if you take out the “optional” vanilla, that still leaves 4.
    I’m not knocking the recipe, just food for thought.

Hello there Captain Obvious,

Salt is what is considered a ‘freebie’ in recipes, so there are in fact only three essential ingredients here.

14. Lisa Inlow says

Just wondered if you think these cookies would survive traveling from Oregon to Minnesota by mail? I have a friend there who is dealing with cancer and she requested peanut butter cookies and sugar cookies (thinking of using your no sugar peanut butter cookie and low sugar sugar cookie recipe. Since cancer thrives on sugar I want sugar content as low as possible but still want yummy cookies) Thinking of putting sprinkles on top of the sugar cookies prior to baking since I don’t think frosting would survive the trip.

Hi Lisa,

I’m so sorry for your friend, but how nice of you to want to help. I think they would last, but I can’t be certain. Perhaps wrap each one individually for better protection? I hope it all works out, and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

15. Lisa Inlow says

Do you think your sugarfree frosting would be ok unrefrigerated if I made it up and put in in a double layer of Ziploc bags so it wouldn’t leak and ruin the cookies? That way she could frost them once they arrived :-)

Yes, I think so. I would just advise her to refrigerate the frosting for about 30 minute before using it. Otherwise, it may be a bit too ‘drippy’. :-)

Trackbacks