Sugar-Free Apple Dumpling Pancakes

I did not realize how difficult it would be to go sugar-free. Even though I’m still incorporating fruits into my diet, all I really want is a freakin’ chocolate bar! At least these take the edge off a bit

I’ve been making good use of fruit to sweeten recipes though! Below are some examples:

• Date Puree: I put 1/2 cup of dates in 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan over high heat, and once it comes to a boil, I remove the pan and allow the dates to sit for 15-30 minutes. I then just mash them with a fork (you could also puree the mix in the food processor, but I’m just too lazy). This can be used in recipes that call for other liquid sweeteners, such as maple syrup, in smoothies, on top of oatmeal, etc. You can also use dried apricots, figs, prunes, or raisins if you dislike dates or if you just want a variety.
  • Apple Honey: This delicious recipe that I posted back in October is a perfect alternative for sweetening! It’s also vegan and paleo-friendly. I have been letting it reduce a bit less time and it comes out more syrupy, which is perfect for topping pancakes and making granola (sugar-free granola recipe to come!).
  • Baby Food: You would not BELIEVE how convenient these jars are. They have various fruit purees (Pear-Raspberry and Prunes are two of my faves) ranging from apples to bananas to apple-blueberry that are perfect for adding to recipes to give them moisture and sweetness….I also like to freeze them and eat them like sorbets! :-)
  • Stevia: An obvious choice, but far down on my list, as I seem to be sensitive to large amounts of it! :-( I recently purchased it in its natural (green, yes GREEN) form. The color is a bit off-putting, but I’m hoping to tolerate it better!

Today’s recipe is one of my favorite breakfasts, as of late. Due to our sugar reduction, overnight oats are not topping the list, as I usually add a tablespoon or two of honey to the mix….and using all stevia is just NOT good, so these babies are frequenting our bellies…

p5

Packed full of fresh grated apple and whole grain flour, these make a filling (and tasty) breakfast, and they don’t weigh you down like some pancakes…..

p3

….their doughy yet fluffy texture reminded me of fat-boy apple dumplings…so they are aptly named. :-)

Sugar-Free Apple Dumpling Pancakes

Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 2 adults and 2 babies :-)
  • 1 c. gluten-free or whole wheat flour (if you use whole wheat, subtract 1 tablespoon from the 1 cup)
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • ¼ t. salt
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • ¼ c. applesauce (baby food works!)
  • ½ c. milk (I use almond, but any kind will work)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten (flax, psyllium, and chia eggs work too!)
  • 1 T. oil or melted butter (I've used walnut, olive, coconut, and almond with good results)
  • 1 T. plain yogurt (I use greek, but any type will work)
  • ½ t. vanilla
  • 10 drops stevia or 1/16 t. powdered stevia extract
  • ½ c. fresh apple, grated (I like a sweeter variety)
  • butter or oil, for frying
  1. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, powdered stevia (if using)).
  2. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl (applesauce, milk, egg, oil, yogurt, vanilla, liquid stevia (if using)).
  3. Mix everything together until combined.
  4. Stir in the grated apple.
  5. Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter or coconut oil in a non-stick skillet.
  6. Dollop a few tablespoons for each cake.
  7. Fry for about 3-4 minutes each side.
  8. Cool and serve!
**These numbers are based on using whole wheat flour, almond milk, 1 chicken egg, almond oil, Fage 2% greek yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of butter for frying. Weight Watchers points (using the new system): 8
Serving size: 3 Calories: 315 Fat: 14.8 g Saturated fat: 5.8 g Unsaturated fat: 9 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 39.4 g Sugar: 6.4 g Sodium: 303 mg Fiber: 2.8 g Protein: 6.7 g Cholesterol: 75 mg

If you need a good gluten-free flour mix, this one works very well in this recipe, and it contains NO starches or gums!

p1

They are delicious topped withsome freshly grated nutmeg and my Apple Honey as an alternative to maple syrup. As I stated above, just don’t reduce the juice as long, and you end up with a syrup instead of a honey! Deeee-licioso! :-)

What’s your favorite sugar-free breakfast?

Shared with: Natural Living Monday, Allergy-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , ,

1. Chris January 7, 2013 at 5:13 am Reply

May I ask how you are sensitive to stevia? What type of “reaction” do you get and how do you know it is from the Stevia? Thanks for sharing. I have many allergies, too.

• Lauren January 7, 2013 at 8:44 am Reply

Hi Chris! With certain brands, I get immediate headaches, fatigue, and a mood ‘down-swing’. I have been wondering if it’s the additives that some companies put in their blend, so I try to buy ones that are only stevia. The NOW brand agrees with me the best, but I’ve been using the more unprocessed ‘green’ stuff, and I really feel the best on that. :-)

• Lauren January 7, 2013 at 8:48 am Reply

I just wanted to add that I have eaten the same foods with and without the stevia, and I only get the above reactions when I add the stevia. I’ve had so many allergies as well and am at the point where I’m really methodical in finding out what’s giving me trouble.

2. Tonia January 7, 2013 at 6:22 am Reply

I also am curious how you know that you cannot tolerate large amounts of Stevia. What happens? I am very sensitive to many products and am wondering if this may be causing some breakouts I have been encountering.

Thanks!

• Lauren January 7, 2013 at 8:41 am Reply

Hi Tonia! I actually get sharp headaches and fatigue within minutes of eating certain brands. It can also then affect my mood for the rest of the day (I’m prone to depression). I’ve noticed some brands add other ingredients to their stevia (maltodextrin, natural flavors), and I wonder if it’s those ingredients that are bothering me…. I have found that the NOW brand powdered stevia extract affects me the least, and it has no other additives! :-) I hope that helps!

3. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 7, 2013 at 8:44 am Reply

I’ve never thought about using baby food for a natural sweetener! Great idea–so convenient when you need a bit of fruit puree!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s FiveMy Profile

4. jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur January 7, 2013 at 11:27 am Reply

I used date paste most often to sweeten my baked goods (and other savory dishes), but I’m going to have to try your apple honey – it looks wonderful! As do these apple dumpling pancakes!
    jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur recently posted..Roasted Garlic and Carrot HummusMy Profile

5. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reply

Want!
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..P&G eStoreMy Profile

6. freshlifefindings January 7, 2013 at 8:12 pm Reply

Yum, yum, yum! These look amazing. I nanny and the baby food always looks tempting :)
    freshlifefindings recently posted..New Years Eve Re-Cap: Recipes, Friends & FunMy Profile

• Lauren January 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm Reply

Haha, you should indulge! When you freeze them, they make a nice and healthy treat. :-)

7. Gabby @ the veggie nook January 8, 2013 at 5:36 am Reply

YUM! I think these looks amazing and the apple honey sounds like the perfect compliment! You are so creative on your no-sugar diet, I’m impressed :)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy in a hurry: curry tomato spaghetti squashMy Profile

8. Melissa Schollaert April 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm Reply

I am curious as to how the green stevia is working out for you?

• Lauren April 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reply

I didn’t notice much in the way of tolerating it better, and it takes a bit more to sweeten recipes, as it is not as concentrated. I still have/use it though, and feel that it is more ‘complete’ in its form, which subsequently makes me feel healthier! :-)

9. [...] Sugar-Free Apple Dumpling Pancakes [...]

10. Cara T August 12, 2013 at 6:02 am Reply

These are DELICIOUS!! 3 picky eaters 7 yrs. & under give them a thumbs UP…and I can enjoy a delicious breakfast with my family in spite of strict diet restrictions. THANKS! :)

• Lauren August 12, 2013 at 7:08 am Reply

That’s great Cara, thanks for trying them! :-D

11. […] (via Sugar-Free Apple Dumpling Pancakes | Oatmeal with a Fork) […]

12. Apple Dumpling Cobbler | Chocolate Moosey September 30, 2013 at 3:00 am Reply

[…] Sugar-Free Apple Dumpling Pancakes from Oatmeal With A Fork […]