Wah, wah….the last day of DetoX-mas has arrived….
….so sad! I hope everyone enjoyed the last month of recipes. Rest assured, there will be more sugar-free goodies in the future…just not every. single. post…
For my last January post, I thought it’d be fun to do a play on one of my most popular recipes, No-Bread Oatmeal French Toast. Meet Oatmeal ‘No-Bread’ Pudding….
Using the same technique I used in that recipe, I’ve incorporated the staled oatmeal into a ‘bread’ pudding…
Topped with an Indian-spiced banana custard and mixed with soft and chewy figs, this dessert tastes delicious and is healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast!
- 1 c. cooked oatmeal, staled overnight
- ½ c. milk, coconut or almond are nice
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. cardamom
- ¼ t. ginger
- ⅛ t. salt
- ½ t. vanilla
- 1 ripe banana
- 5 dried figs (I used black mission, but any kind will work), chopped
- Follow the instructions for the BASE in my No-Bread Oatmeal French Toast except halve the amounts (see link above).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend the milk, banana, spices, salt, and vanilla.
- Break the staled oatmeal into 1-inch chunks.
- Mix the oatmeal ‘bread’ chunks with the chopped figs.
- Pour the banana ‘custard’ over oat/fig mix, and let the mixture soak for 15 minutes.
- Oil or butter a small baking dish.
- Pour the pudding into the dish.
- Bake 35 minutes (the pudding will pull away from the sides of the dish).
- Cool and top with whipped (coconut) cream, yogurt, milk, berries, etc.
Inspired by this recipe
….you could just eat it as a cereal! ….or you could bake it into this….
I loved the ‘custard’ so much, that I’m thinking of creating a smoothie recipe around it. The spices complement the banana perfectly!
Beginning Friday (and for the month of February), I’ll be featuring my husband’s favorite recipes of mine, including Crispy Baked Fries, Flax Seed Tortillas, and Healthy Andes’ Mints, among others….Firefighter February, in honor of the one I love most. ♥♥♥