5-Minute Maple Almond Gelato

What is the difference between gelato and ice cream?

I wondered this for a bit before finally delving into cyberspace to discover the answer. To sum up my findings, gelato is an Italian ice cream that is typically lower in fat than ice cream (yay!). It also contains less air, making it denser, and it is usually served at a slightly warmer temperature than ice cream, making it softer in consistency. Does this sound a bit like banana soft serve to anyone? I thought it did!

Before anyone gets sassy in the comments, I know frozen bananas do not a gelato make, but I DO think the descriptions above aptly portray this creamy dessert we’re all enchanted with (and it beats the heck out of calling it ‘Processed Frozen Bananas’….

gelato22

Whoever out there discovered that bananas could be frozen is a person worthy of some serious accolades, but the genius that somehow whirred them into this delicious treat should be given preferential treatment for life! Hugs and kisses to you both.

5-Minute Maple Almond Gelato

Serves: 2
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 3 T. raw almond butter
  • 1 t. maple syrup
  • 1 T. vanilla extract
  • ¼ t. almond extract
  • ¼ c. light coconut milk
  • generous pinch (or two if you are a salt fiend like myself) sea salt
  1. Throw everything into your food processor.
  2. Process until well-combined and creamy.
  3. Freeze for a bit if you like your ice treats a bit harder, but it's delicious as is!
Weight Watchers points: 10
Serving size: 2 Calories: 355 Fat: 21.7 g Saturated fat: 7.8 g Unsaturated fat: 13.9 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 36.8 g Sugar: 18.3 g Sodium: 157 mg Fiber: 4.6 g Protein: 5.6 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

I love the additions of the almond butter as well as the extracts. I’ve had plain banana soft serve, and it was a nice and healthy treat, but the almond butter brings a richness that can’t be duplicated, and vanilla and almond extracts add loads of flavor without extra calories!

gelato33

I typically eat this right away, but I’ve also frozen it for a bit, and it’s delicious that way as well!

gelato11

What are your favorite add-ins when making banana soft serve?

Aside from the above, I often add in greek yogurt for a good dose of protein. :-) Dee-licious.

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Raw Foods Thursday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Vicky February 25, 2013 at 6:19 am Reply

This looks lovely! Haha, I was actually wondering what the difference was yesterday, how funny! Thank you for explaining!
    Vicky recently posted..Date Paste GF SCDMy Profile

2. Kinzie February 25, 2013 at 7:57 am Reply

coconut milk from a can or a carton?

• Lauren February 25, 2013 at 8:05 am Reply

Can….I never use the stuff from a carton. I like the Trader Joe’s brand because it doesn’t have any additives! :-)

3. sherry February 25, 2013 at 8:57 am Reply

Thanks! My son loves my homemade “ice cream” made from frozen bananas. My freezer is stocked with them. Now I have to find a recipe to match the Coconut Bliss flavors ….

4. freshlifefindings February 25, 2013 at 9:08 am Reply

YUM! I have all the ingredients for this so I’m thinking… afternoon snack? :) Thanks for sharing! Love it.
    freshlifefindings recently posted..Weekly Food Prep + Tight & Toned Tummy and TushMy Profile

5. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm Reply

Oh that looks delicious. I love banana fro-yo . . . but have never added nut butter. I would use almond milk instead of coconut milk, but otherwise, I have everything! I’ll give it a whirl. :) My favorite add-ins are chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Sun-Dried Tomato, Goat Cheese and Spaghetti Squash Bake . . . Must Try!My Profile

6. Gabriela @ Living a Renaissance Life February 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm Reply

Lauren! This is delicious! I’ve been doing a lot of banilla ice-cream lately and am in need of a little something extra. Looking forward to making this in the next few weeks. :) Pinned!

7. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm Reply

I <3 gelato! This looks amazing.
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..#Whole30 Days 6-7My Profile

8. amber February 26, 2013 at 9:34 pm Reply

What a delicious and creative version of ice cream! I love it. And I happen to love the combination of banana, coconut, and almond butter. Simply delicious. My kiddos would adore this dessert. Yes, making very soon. :-)
    amber recently posted..Allergy-Free Wednesdays Week 56: February 27, 2013My Profile

• Lauren February 27, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Haha, thanks Amber! Our girls really enjoyed it, so hopefully yours will too!

9. Gabby @ the veggie nook March 1, 2013 at 11:35 am Reply

Haha I have NO plans on getting sassy with you ;)

I think frozen bananas mimic gelato wonderfully! What a great idea!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #32My Profile

10. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures March 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm Reply

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

11. Valerie March 7, 2013 at 3:55 am Reply

Lovely! But…2 calories? Typo or miracle?

• Lauren March 7, 2013 at 7:56 am Reply

Haha, that would be a miracle! It’s actually 2 servings, 355 calories per serving. :)

12. Heather @Gluten-Free Cat May 17, 2013 at 4:11 am Reply

This recipe just reminds me that summer is right around the corner! Come share at Raw Foods Thursdays! (And I love that you call it gelato!)

Heather
    Heather @Gluten-Free Cat recently posted..Raw Foods Thursdays: 5/16/13My Profile

13. [...] 5-Minute Maple Almond Gelato is one delicious [...]

14. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) May 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm Reply

When you can make this in 5 minutes there is no excuse not to have dessert! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Can’t wait to see what you are bringing to the party this week! We have another GREAT giveaway!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
    Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) recently posted..Asian Inspired Slaw – #glutenfreeMy Profile

15. […] (via 5-Minute Maple Almond Gelato | Oatmeal with a Fork) […]