White Chocolate-Covered Banana Pops

I know I’ve gushed about bananas before, but are they not the most awesome food?

banana11

Healthy ice cream, creamy smoothies, simple pancakes, delicious breads…paleo, vegan, vegetarian, grain-free, gluten-free,…freezable, fry-able, bake-able, lovable, hug-able bananas.

They are the star in today’s unique sweet treat….

banana22

My birthday passed a couple of weeks ago, and I told my husband I wanted to successfully make, eat, and love this recipe. So I dove right in and wouldn’t you know it, I made, ate, and loved it.

Happy birthday Lauren.

banana33

White Chocolate Banana Pops

Serves: 6
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 4 T. cocoa butter
  • 6 T. coconut butter
  • a couple of pinches of sea salt
  • 3-4 t. honey or maple syrup, I did 3, but I've recently tamed my sweet tooth, so taste it to see if you desire more
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • rainbow sprinkles, if it's your birthday or you just wish it could be ;-)
  1. Cut the bananas in half.
  2. Skewer them with a popsicle or lollipop stick.
  3. Lay them on a wax paper-lined plate.
  4. Freeze them.
  5. Once they are frozen, assemble the ingredients for the white chocolate.
  6. Over low heat, in a saucepan, melt the cocoa and coconut butters together.
  7. Remove the pan from the heat.
  8. Stir in the salt, sweetener, and vanilla (try to use room temperature ingredients, or the butters will start to clump).
  9. Pour the mixture into a tall, narrow glass.
  10. Dip your bananas into the mix until coated.
  11. Place back onto the plate to harden (this will just take a few moments, as the cold bananas will cause the butters to set quickly).
  12. Dip the bananas again into the mix to re-coat (I dipped mine about three times).
  13. Upon dipping them the last time, quickly top them with the sprinkles while the coating is still wet. This will allow them to stick.
  14. Put the bananas back into the freezer for a few minutes to completely set.
  15. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using 3 teaspoons of maple syrup and no sprinkles. Weight Watchers points (new system): 7
Serving size: 6 Calories: 236 Fat: 18.5 g Saturated fat: 13.4 g Unsaturated fat: 5.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 19.3 g Sugar: 10.2 g Sodium: 6 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 1.6 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

2013_02_26

Easy as pie…

banana44

…and so pretty. :-)

For those of you that may be wondering, I used this cocoa butter in the recipe, and if you’re wondering how to make your own coconut butter, check out this post from Michelle!

Other treats on a stick you might like:

Chocolate Pudding Pops

Mint Chocolate Crisp Lollipops

Cookie Dough Cream Pops

What’s the best birthday treat you’ve ever made/bought yourself?

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1. freshlifefindings March 11, 2013 at 6:28 am Reply

Happy late birthday Lauren! And these are too cute, love the added sprinkles :) I hope you guys got to enjoy some down time and fun for your birthday!
    freshlifefindings recently posted..Chocolate Coconut Macaroons + Lower Body Burnout & Pure Skin RegimensMy Profile

• Lauren March 11, 2013 at 8:45 am Reply

Thanks Natalie! It was a nice and mellow day. :-)

2. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 11, 2013 at 11:15 am Reply

And I just posted about coconut butter today! What a fantastic way to use it. This dessert looks so tasty, and wholesome, too (which I love). Thanks for the tip about using a tall glass and dipping. I was wondering how you pops looked so perfect.
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Coconut Butter: Make Your Own!My Profile

• Lauren March 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reply

Awesome! I’ll include your link! :-)

• Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm Reply

Thanks, Lauren! :)

• Jenn March 13, 2013 at 12:15 am Reply

Cocoa butter and coconut butter are two different things. Linking to both is a bit confusing.

• Lauren March 13, 2013 at 8:48 am

They are both in the recipe, that’s why there’s a link for each.

3. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm Reply

Isn’t coconut butter a gift from God?
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..MaddieMy Profile

4. MadSCAR March 12, 2013 at 4:39 am Reply

Lauren thank you so much for that recipe i love this!
    MadSCAR recently posted..Tattoos And ShavingMy Profile

5. Heide M. March 12, 2013 at 9:20 am Reply

Sounds divine.

6. Pat March 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm Reply

Where do you purchase cocoa butter?

7. amber March 12, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reply

Hi Lauren,

Happy belated birthday, Lauren. Here’s to a year full of love, happiness and good health. :-)

I am going to make these gorgeous bananas tomorrow for my kiddos for snack time!! Just love, LOVE this idea. So smart…so healthy!

Hugs,
    –Amber
    amber recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day To All You Chocoholics Out There.My Profile

8. Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) March 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm Reply

Sounds delicious! I don’t have any cocoa butter… can you think of a good substitute?
    Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) recently posted..Healthy 2Day Wednesday (3/13/2013)My Profile

• Lauren March 13, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reply

Coconut oil would be your best bet! It’ll melt much quicker though, so maybe keep them in the freezer a bit longer once they are assembled. :)

9. Ana March 14, 2013 at 1:31 am Reply

Hi I’m Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

It’s easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo for user of the world look your recipes.

We would love that you participate with some recipe.Look Amazing!

Regards

10. Gabby @ the veggie nook March 17, 2013 at 9:25 am Reply

Happy belated birthday Lauren! These look like the perfect way to celebrate :)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #34My Profile

11. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures March 17, 2013 at 11:33 am Reply

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)
    Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures recently posted..Join My Lemongrass Spa Party! Check out the body care products you can literally eat with a spoon…My Profile

12. Linda March 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm Reply

Hi Lauren. I made something similar to this before but with a cashew coating. It was good, but I really like your idea of using cocoa butter and coconut butter. They pops look adorable and delicious! Thanks for your regular participation in Gluten-Free Wednesdays.
    Linda recently posted..Zucchini Quiche MuffinsMy Profile

• Lauren March 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm Reply

Thank you Linda! They are a really delicious treat! I love white chocolate, but can’t rationalize eating the store-bought kind, so this is a nice substitute! :)

13. […] The main ingredient in white chocolate is cocoa butter. To create the coating for these frozen bananas,  you melt edible cocoa butter and coconut butter and add salt, honey and vanilla. Pour the mixture in a tall glass and dip the banana halves. Let set for a few minutes and dip again. Dip one last time and add sprinkles, nuts or coconut flakes for a delicious and nutricious snack. Recipe and photo via Oatmeal with a Fork. […]