The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever (Vegan)

The title is quite the proclamation, but I stand by it!

I’ve seen a few variations of these cookies floating around the web and finally had to try them.

OMG. I’m totally not the type to say or write or even think ‘OMG’, but OMG.

These are the best gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, chocolate chip cookies…ever…

cookie11

I have to say, though, what makes them so great for me is the fact that they require so little sweetness to be really stellar.

The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Serves: 9
  • 1 c. almond meal
  • scant ¼ t. sea salt
  • ⅛ t. baking soda
  • ¼ t. cinnamon, optional, but delicious!
  • 3 T. coconut oil or butter, melted
  • 2 T. honey or maple syrup
  • 1½ t. vanilla
  • ½-1 t. water, only if/as needed
  • 2-4 T. chopped dark chocolate, depending on your personal preference (I used 3 T.)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix the almond meal, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
  3. Stir in the coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, and vanilla.
  4. Add in water as needed to bring everything together.
  5. Stir in the chopped chocolate last.
  6. Bake for 10-11 minutes on a well oiled or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet (the edges should be golden).
  7. Let them sit on the pan for 5-10 minutes (they firm up during this time, so this is an important step!).
  8. Remove and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using maple syrup, coconut oil, and 4 tablespoons of dark chocolate. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 139 Fat: 11.2 g Saturated fat: 5.3 g Unsaturated fat: 5.9 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 8.2 g Sugar: 5.6 g Sodium: 71 mg Fiber: 1.5 g Protein: 2.6 g Cholesterol: 1 mg

Adapted from this recipe

cookie222

I got about 9 smallish cookies from this dough, but feel free to make them as big (or small) as you desire!

These have a buttery, modestly sweet taste that’s complimented perfectly by the dark chocolate. The cinnamon gives it a little spice that pairs well with all of the other ingredients.

cookie33

These are delicious right out of the freezer, if you like your cookies cold like me. :-D

I hope you all take some time this weekend to give these cookies a try! :-)

Shared with: Allergy-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Gluten-Free Wednesday

UPDATE: For those of you with almond or nut allergies, I have successfully made these with sunflower seed meal (using the same amount), and they have turned out great!

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 29, 2013 at 4:20 pm Reply

Mmm :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Sunday BreakfastMy Profile

• Paleo June 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm Reply

I made these with coconut sugar and they taste great. They are not shaped like cookies when they are cooked. They flatten out. They are very soft. A coworker tried them and wants some more.

2. Melissa @ My Whole Food Life March 29, 2013 at 6:13 pm Reply

Oh yum! I love how you used almond meal. I make my own almond milk and I am always looking for ways to use up the leftover meal. Going to try this. Thanks!
    Melissa @ My Whole Food Life recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip LarabarsMy Profile

• Lauren March 29, 2013 at 6:29 pm Reply

Sorry, I actually did not mean dried almond pulp. I’ve actually tried it that way, and it WILL NOT work! I believe it lacks the fat that is needed here.

3. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 30, 2013 at 7:04 am Reply

These do look awesome! I love the simple ingredient list . . . no items that I’d have to go hunt down at a specialty store. Perfect!!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s FiveMy Profile

4. Gabby @ the veggie nook March 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reply

When I read the title of this post I was like, “Wow, she’s pretty damn confident there….” but now that I’ve read the recipe I can see why ;)

I love how simple these are, that I have all the ingredients in my pantry and that they are paleo AND vegan! If I didn’t already have 4 kinds of cookies in my fridge (baking party with a friend) I would make these now. I guess they’ll have to wait a few days. Darn!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #36My Profile

• Lauren March 31, 2013 at 5:47 pm Reply

Hahaha! The funniest part about your comment was seeing the word ‘damn’. For some reason, I picture you as the type that rarely swears. :-)

On another note, these are really good! You ought to try them, I think you’d really like them! :-)….and they freeze well!

5. Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 31, 2013 at 11:50 am Reply

These look so tasty!! Thanks for sharing :).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..What Vegans Eat: Day 7My Profile

6. Anna @ Your Healthy Place March 31, 2013 at 3:31 pm Reply

Ooh yum, you know I love me some cookies! I’m really impressed by the ingredients list – particularly the sweetener. Nice going!
    Anna @ Your Healthy Place recently posted..Breakfast Recipe: Buckwheat and Quinoa Apple Maple BakeMy Profile

7. RL March 31, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply

I think I’m going to try this recipe tomorrow! Can I substitute actual butter for the coconut butter? Thanks for sharing this. Can’t wait to try.

• Lauren March 31, 2013 at 7:36 pm Reply

Yes! Butter works very well in these. :-)

• RL March 31, 2013 at 7:44 pm Reply

Thanks so much! and also for the fast reply! Just in time for me to make the cookies :)

8. amber April 4, 2013 at 8:23 am Reply

Okay, well, I am making these tomorrow for sure. Fabulous!! What great ingredients.
    amber recently posted..Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (gluten free, dairy free, cane-sugar free)My Profile

• Lauren April 5, 2013 at 3:13 am Reply

Thanks Amber! It really is a great recipe. I wish I could take all the credit, but, regardless, I really hope you try it out. :-)

9. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 5, 2013 at 7:40 am Reply

Hi Lauren. I’m going to include this on today’s Friday’s Five . . . and was going to use my “pin” to showcase it, but I can’t get it to work. I hope you don’t mind that I snag one of your pictures to use instead. I will definitely link it back to you! Let me know if you don’t want me to do this, though. I didn’t take my own pictures when I made them, figuring I’d use Pinterest. :) Happy Friday!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Looking for Ways to Use Hard-Boiled EggsMy Profile

• Lauren April 5, 2013 at 8:32 am Reply

No problem at all! Thanks for the mention. :-D

10. Laurie Barrie April 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm Reply

My sister just started the paleo diet. I will pass this recipe along! Thanks.
    Laurie Barrie recently posted..Fish Tacos with Avocado-Lime Sauce & Tangy SlawMy Profile

11. [...] The Best Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever from Oatmeal with a Fork I’d sub a low glycemic sweetener and my Homemade Chocolate Chips. If Lauren says these are incredible, I believe her. [...]

12. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) April 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm Reply

Oh, these have me saying Oh lala! YUMM Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Really looking forward to seeing what you bring to the party this week! It starts Thursday evening!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
    Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) recently posted..#glutenfree review: @Goldbaums Pop Potato SnacksMy Profile

13. vicki salhus April 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm Reply

Great recipe! Thumbs up from hubby.

• Lauren April 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm Reply

Yay! Husbands’ approvals are always good, especially with ‘healthy’ desserts. :-)

14. Suz April 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm Reply

Yum! These look so good. I’m always a bit too scared to try cookies in case they’re so good I can’t stop!
    Suz recently posted..The Paleo Snack Recipe BookMy Profile

15. SB April 20, 2013 at 4:31 am Reply

Are these crunchy or chewy when fresh?

• Lauren April 20, 2013 at 8:18 am Reply

I would say (once they’ve cooled) they’re a bit crisp on the outside and soft in the middle.

• jJennifer September 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm Reply

Hi Lauren I made these with almond flour n they turned out great.. Then I tried them with coconut flour n I didn’t do so well with those lol.. Have u made them with coconut flour.. I onow I need to use less coconut flour.. What’s ur recommendation? Great recepies n look frwd to tryin more of ur delish ideas for the family:) thanks jenn

• Lauren September 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm Reply

Hi Jenn, I haven’t tried them with coconut flour. I haven’t worked with it much, so I’m not sure on how to substitute it for the almond meal. I think I read once that one cup of flour is equal to 1/3 cup of coconut flour, but that’s just a guess. Glad the almond flour turned out for you! :-)

16. [...] I bought ingredients for but I decided to start with Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe I found at Oatmeal With a Fork because they looked super simple and I had all the ingredients on hand.  I tweaked the recipe a [...]

17. Alicia Jay May 7, 2013 at 11:53 am Reply

Lauren, these cookies are so amazing! I’ve been experimenting with many different recipes and these are by far the best yet! It’s also fantastic to come across a recipe that uses ingredients I always have on hand in the pantry and can be whipped up for surprise guests. Would you mind if I shared this recipe on my blog at some point? Of course giving credit to you. Either way- thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.
    Alicia Jay recently posted..New Obsession: Paleo BurritoMy Profile

• Lauren May 7, 2013 at 12:42 pm Reply

Thanks so much Alicia! I appreciate the comment and your mentioning the recipe on your blog. Send me the link when you do! :-)

• Alicia Jay May 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reply

Will do! I posted a picture of the ones I baked on the Facebook page along with your recipe link. My friends can’t wait to try them (especially since they’re vegan too and we can all share)!

• Lauren May 7, 2013 at 8:20 pm Reply

Thanks girl! :-D

18. Denise May 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm Reply

Omg, I made these last night and they came out delicous! Two things, though; is the serving size really 9? Or did you mean to say the reciepe yields 9 cookies?

Secondly, although my batch tasted great the dough was really runny so i ended up with really flat cookies that were crisp on the ends and soft in the middle. They looked like crackers! To be honest It was a good mistake, lol. They reminded me of these flat, crunchy cookie type things my mom used to buy years ago from Costco. And I may half the honey, they were sweet little suckers! Anyway this is most definatley going in my “tried and true” reciepe booklet.

• Lauren May 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

Hi Denise,
      I’m happy you enjoyed them! I did mean 9 cookies, not serves 9 people, lol. As far as the batter goes, it sounds like you added too much water…? I’ve never seen them ‘runny’, if anything the batter gets too thick, hence the water. I’m glad it was a good mistake for you though!

19. Roya May 10, 2013 at 9:59 pm Reply

When you say 3 T, do you mean tablespoons or teaspoons?

• Lauren May 11, 2013 at 7:41 am Reply

Tablespoons. :)

20. Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm Reply

Thanks so much for posting this Lauren! I need a little sweetness in this paleo lifestyle. I can’t wait to make these this weekend. :D You’re awesome for posting this recipe!!

• Lauren May 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm Reply

Thanks Stephanie! I hope you love them! :-D

21. frank May 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm Reply

These do look freaken delicious. I’m gonna make these and when I do I’ll be back on here to tell you how they came out :-)

Also, not to sound like a broken record but 9 cookies are really only 139 calories!? This is definitely gonna help with my sweet tooth AND my workouts. Thank you!

• Lauren May 14, 2013 at 8:35 pm Reply

Haha, sorry Frank…EACH cookie has 139 calories, and the recipe makes about nine. Hope that doesn’t burst your bubble too much. :-D Let me know what you think though!!

22. [...] I bought ingredients for but I decided to start with Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe I found at Oatmeal With a Fork because they looked super simple and I had most of the ingredients on hand and ready to use and it [...]

23. Tiffany @ DontWastetheCrumbs May 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm Reply

My SIL, a fellow foodie and raw milk drinker, just emailed to say these were really good. Now it’s my turn to try!
    Tiffany @ DontWastetheCrumbs recently posted..What is Enriched Flour?My Profile

• Lauren May 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm Reply

Aw, thanks Tiffany! I hope you love them! :-D

24. Carla May 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reply

Okay, just for clarification, is ALL the “Nutritional Information” for 9 cookies or for ONE cookie?

• Lauren May 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply

The recipe makes nine cookies and the nutrition info is per cookie.

25. Ashley May 24, 2013 at 6:23 am Reply

Do you think the almond meal could be substituted with coconut flour?

• Lauren May 24, 2013 at 8:06 am Reply

Coconut flour is kinda weird in how you substitute it. I’ve read that you use 1/4 cup of it for every 1 cup of flour. As far as using it in place of almond meal, I wouldn’t do a one to one exchange, as I think you’d end up with very dry cookies.

• Maria July 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm Reply

These look so delicious! I’ve been getting the “gluten free’ cookies at the supermarket, but they always taste so blah. Wanna try these out, thanks! :D
      Maria recently posted..How to Bake Paleo without Eggs, Dairy, or Sugar! Plus Other Cooking Tips!My Profile

26. Samantha May 27, 2013 at 4:41 pm Reply

Just made these and they are wonderful!

• Lauren May 28, 2013 at 8:20 am Reply

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! :-D

27. [...] that is, until I came across “The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever” (and here’s where everyone says DUH!). I’m always skeptical of [...]

28. Alicia Jay May 28, 2013 at 7:05 am Reply

I just shared a slightly adapted version of this recipe on my new blog and gave you a shoutout! Thanks so much for bringing chocolate chip cookies back into my life. :-)
    Alicia Jay recently posted..Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies (Paleo + Vegan)My Profile

• Lauren May 28, 2013 at 8:24 am Reply

Thank you Alicia! I’m happy you enjoyed them! :-D

29. [...] oils, processed sugars and GMOs. For treats and desserts we make homemade chocolates, ice cream, cookies, kefir soda, popsicles and many more. Pretty much every recipe can be adapted to use real food [...]

30. Recipes | Pearltrees May 31, 2013 at 10:30 am Reply

[...] The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever | Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

31. BB May 31, 2013 at 1:01 pm Reply

Holy moly these are delicious!!!! I have the biggest sweet tooth and sweets and cookies has been the hardest thing since going paleo. These are even better than regular choc chip cookies! Now I just have to try and not them all in one day. Thanks for this amazing cookie recipe!

• Lauren May 31, 2013 at 1:06 pm Reply

Haha, thanks BB! Your comment made my day! :-D

32. Milk Allergy Mom June 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reply

Thank you! Just made these with xylitol for low-carb and posted on Instagram.

• Lauren June 2, 2013 at 8:09 am Reply

Thank YOU! It’s good to hear they work with xylitol as well. :-D

33. metjet June 4, 2013 at 5:44 pm Reply

These cookies taste like heaven. I also had trouble with the ‘runny’ consistency of the batter and the end product. I added no water either. Maybe cook longer?

• Lauren June 4, 2013 at 6:08 pm Reply

Hmmm…the only other thing I can figure is there’s a difference in the consistency of our almond meals? You could also try mixing in the oil in a softened state, as opposed to it being melted. Just be sure the other ingredients are at room temperature. Glad you like the taste though!! :-D

34. Jen June 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

Just made these for my husband who is on the paleo diet and has bad reactions to dairy, egg and chocolate. I subbed Carob chips and they are better than some regular cookies that I’ve made in the past! Thanks so much. These are delicious.

• Lauren June 5, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reply

Thank you Jen! I too think they are on par with any ‘flour’ cookie I’ve tried. :-D

35. [...]  If you love cookies, check out these paleo chocolate chip cookies…I plan on trying them [...]

36. Danielle Morales June 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm Reply

Hi, I was just confused about the nutrition facts. Is each cookie 139?

• Lauren June 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reply

Hi Danielle,
      Yes, 139 for each cookie, assuming you make nine cookies like I did. :-)

37. Tasty Cookies | Our Paleo Experiment June 12, 2013 at 10:16 am Reply

[...] Chocolate Chip Cookies [...]

38. Mariella June 13, 2013 at 10:15 pm Reply

Thanks so much for the recipe! I baked them tonight (my first time baking paleo style ever).
    They came out really tasty but fell apart:( what could I have done wrong?

• Lauren June 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reply

Hi Mariella,
      An important step once they come out of the oven is to let them sit on the baking sheet for a good 5-10 minutes. That helps them firm up and stay together. Let me know if that works! :-)

39. Heather June 14, 2013 at 3:14 am Reply

Hi Lauren, I was looking for a quick cookie to make this morning and found your recipe!
    The raw batter alone is AMAZING! Can’t wait to try the cooled baked cookies!
    Thanks for the recipe :)

• Lauren June 14, 2013 at 8:23 am Reply

That’s great Heather! Thank you for your comment! :-D

40. Becca Boo June 18, 2013 at 10:34 am Reply

Your title is correct! I’ve just recently converted to paleo and it’s been hard giving up all the processed sweets! I was honestly afraid to taste these cookies after I made them. No milk, egg or cookies? I thought they would be disgusting! (No offense ) When I tasted them I was presently surprised! They were great and even regular cookie eaters like them! They are such a great recipe to substitute for the high sugared sweets! Thank you!

41. Nicole June 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm Reply

Being pregnant and paleo can be a huge challenge with curbing the craving for sweets and breads, but I have a feeling this recipe will be an absolute life saver! Thank you so much! Im going to try these out right now since Ive been wanting sweets all day ! Do you think they would work for a coconut milk ice cream sandwich? Maybe I should whip up a batch of ice cream too!

42. [...] Recipe adapted from Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

43. [...] Recipe (with only one tiny modification) by Oatmeal With a Fork. [...]

44. Stacy June 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm Reply

I must have done something wrong. Mine flattened out like pancakes and crumbled like sand when I took them off the paper. I did 3T of water because I didn’t want them to be too dry. Maybe that did it?

• Lauren June 24, 2013 at 2:10 pm Reply

Hi Stacy,
      3 tablespoons? The recipe says teaspoons, so I think you did use too much water.

• Stacy June 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm Reply

Ooh no I just wrote it wrong, I did use teaspoons.

• Lauren June 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm Reply

Perhaps then you only need one teaspoon? It just sounds like you added too much water. It should be cookie batter consistency. You may not need any water.

45. Kate June 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm Reply

Tried them. Pretty good. I think it needed more water because they weren’t holding together. Definitely couldn’t eat them without the chocolate. Still pretty good for a paleo treat

46. [...] to be honest, I LOVE my Paleo cooking. I make chocolate chip cookies with almond flour that taste like real cookies, pizza with seasoned ground beef crust, creamy and [...]

47. Carly June 28, 2013 at 10:44 am Reply

These are seriously the best. I went the coconut oil/maple syrup rout, and definitely used the cinnamon. I don’t think I’ll ever want a standard cookie again.

48. Yas June 29, 2013 at 7:14 am Reply

Is the serving size 1 cookie if we made 9 total?
    BTW these cookies are so so amazing. last night, me and my sister were craving some cookies and we could not find a single paleo recipe that we had all the ingredients at home ready to use. So we found this recipe and they were absolutely amazing.

• Lauren June 29, 2013 at 7:58 am Reply

That’s great Yas!…and yes, the nutrition info is for one cookie. :-)

49. Maureen July 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm Reply

This recipe is amazing! I made it twice tonight – once with honey and then maple syrup. We loved both! I’ve tried many paleo chocolate chip recipes and this is by far the best! Thanks!

• Lauren July 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reply

That’s great Maureen! Thanks for letting me know. :-D

50. [...] The title is quite the proclamation, but I stand by it! I've seen a few variations of these cookies floating around the web and finally had to try them. OMG.  [...]

51. Corinne July 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm Reply

I made these tonight. They are super duper tasty. My son is gluten-intolerant, so he enjoyed getting to have something that was baked, but even my wheat-loving dad and husband loved them too. =)

• Lauren July 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm Reply

Haha, that’s great Corinne! :-)

52. Jenny @ Paleofoodiekitchen July 22, 2013 at 11:55 am Reply

I’ve been looking for a good paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe and I will try yours this week. Your picture looks delicious :)
    Jenny @ Paleofoodiekitchen recently posted..Chicken Peach SaladMy Profile

53. Nikki July 23, 2013 at 7:46 am Reply

Can’t wait to make these! Thanks for posting the nutrition info! One of the happy recipients of my baking is my 13 year-old, who has type 1 diabetes. If I can’t get the nutrition info, I have to calculate it myself, so I always appreciate it!

54. Carly July 23, 2013 at 8:08 am Reply

So excited to try these cookies! Do you think it would work if you did half butter and half coconut oil?

• Lauren July 23, 2013 at 8:23 am Reply

Yes, I think that would work fine! :-)

55. [...] 7. The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever A pretty bold title seeing how there’s plenty of Paleo chocolate chip cookies out there to choose from. So let’s see what they do to set these apart from the rest of the pack and what has them convinced they’re worth of the crown. They’re using almond meal, pretty standard, there’s some and maple syrup, and some coconut oil to round out all the sweet and fat you’ll be getting here. This is definitely a break from all of the meat and vegetables you’ll be taking in as part of your daily diet. You need to remind yourself that sweet things exist from time to time, or risk a meltdown. [...]

56. Jenny August 4, 2013 at 10:21 am Reply

As someone who loves eating paleo but misses sweets, thank you. These were incredible. I added some unsweetened, shaved coconut and omitted the vanilla because of the alcohol content and they came out splendidly!

• Lauren August 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm Reply

That’s great Jenny, thanks for the comment! :-)

57. Esther August 10, 2013 at 6:53 pm Reply

I have been playing with a paleo diet for a while now and have not yet had a baking success. I tried making these cookies today, and they came out perfectly the first time!!!! I also made a batch of cookies from another website’s recipe to do a taste test. Yours won hands down! Thanks so much for this recipe.

• Lauren August 10, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reply

That’s so awesome, thanks Esther!…for the comment and trying the recipe. :-D

58. Laura August 15, 2013 at 7:17 am Reply

Hi , I just made these, I used half and half coconut flour and almond flour, and half and half honey and maple syrup. No water as they didn’t need , they were a bit ‘runny’ too, so added a bit more almond flour, they spread a bit too much , but taste AMAZING . Thanks x

59. […] recipe is adapted from the one found here, the best paleo chocolate chip cookies ever. I was never a huge chocolate chip cookie fan, but oatmeal raisin is my absolute favorite. If you […]

60. Melissa September 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm Reply

These look great! Do you think it would work to sub applesauce for the oil?

• Lauren September 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm Reply

I’m not sure…they may turn out more cake-like if you do that, but let me know how it turns out if you try it!

61. […] School Lunch Treat: Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies […]

62. Alex October 10, 2013 at 12:53 am Reply

That sugar count is erroneous!!! 2 T of honey is well over 20 grams of sugar! How did your measure come out to 5 grams?

• Lauren October 10, 2013 at 8:02 am Reply

Wow Alex! Yes, the numbers are correct. Read a bit further and you’ll see that the facts are based on 1/9 of the recipe, meaning one cookie out of a batch of nine. I also noted that the facts are based on using maple syrup. Using honey would up the amount by about a gram. No need to get so hostile. It’s just food.

63. Josiah Dunham October 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reply

Just wanted to thank you for how awesome this recipe is. I make these all the time and they are amazing. Thanks :)
    Josiah

64. Josiah Dunham October 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm Reply

Thanks for such a great recipe. I use this all the time and they are amazing. Thanks :)
    Josiah

• Lauren October 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment Josiah, I’m happy you enjoy the cookies!

65. […] Chocolate Chip Cookies – These cookies were unbelievable.  They were so easy and I could’ve eaten the entire thing of batter had I not wanted to try the actual finished product. I would double this recipe as the one linked made about 9-10 smaller cookies.  The kids absolutely loved these and we finished the batch in about 20 minutes. […]

66. Simply Living | A Mom Inspired October 16, 2013 at 10:04 am Reply

[…] in my circle see that I am making the most amazing Paleo cookies ( for real… the link is here thank you Oatmeal with a fork! ), taking both boys to soccer, advocating for my kid at his […]

67. The Best Paleo Chocolate Chips Ever | October 26, 2013 at 5:46 am Reply

[…] The Best Paleo Chocolate Chips Ever […]

68. […] I bought ingredients for but I decided to start with Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe I found at Oatmeal With a Fork because they looked super simple and I had most of the ingredients on hand and ready to use and it […]

69. When Hunger Strikes… | Crossfit Carly October 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm Reply

[…] I also found a new Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that is soo good. These cookies are called The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever. And take it from me, the title doesn’t lie! It’s quick and most of the ingredients you will already have in your kitchen (for all you paleo chefs). From a personal preference, I would also advise to put less salt than the recipe says. Hope these are a hit in your household like they were in mine! Get the recipe here. […]

70. Lala November 9, 2013 at 11:44 pm Reply

These are wonderful, amazing, delicious, heavenly, and perfect. I did not have to use water at all. I was skeptical– and pleasantly surprised, as all of the other paleo cookies I’ve tried use egg. I used grass fed butter instead of coconut oil. Really just scrumptious. Thank you!

• Lauren November 10, 2013 at 8:55 am Reply

Yay, Lala! I’m so happy you liked them! :-)

71. Pamela November 11, 2013 at 10:41 am Reply

I tried these I tweaked the recipe a bit doubling it 9 cookies wasn’t going to be enough but I didn’t have enough almont meal so used walnuts. They came out very flat and too crumbly. So I added a egg to the second batch then they werre perfect. Thanks for the recipe

72. Ducky December 8, 2013 at 11:05 am Reply

These are in the oven, I tweaked it a bit, mostly almond flour, but a couble tablespoons of coconut flour for giggles. Used enjoy life mini chocolate chips and a handful of chopped walnuts.
    Using a pizza stone too. As long as they resemble cookies when they come out, i’ll be pleased. :)

Made 12 using a tablespoon to scoop!

• Ducky December 8, 2013 at 11:19 am Reply

They turned out perfect! Warm chocolate chip cookies while it snows? yesssss!

73. Sarah December 13, 2013 at 10:22 am Reply

Ok, these are dangerous!!! I ate all 9 cookies in one day!!!!! And my 2 year old LOVES THEM! So easy to make. Thank you!

74. Dave December 14, 2013 at 1:41 pm Reply

These cookies were very good, but how do i keep them from going flat.

• Lauren December 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm Reply

Hmm, I’ve never had mine go flat. They look like what you see in the pictures. It sounds like you may have added too much water? The batter should be fairly thick and hold its shape for the most part.

75. chechel December 14, 2013 at 5:09 pm Reply

Just wanted to thank you for this amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe. It really is the best chocolate chip cookie ever! Amazing! thank you! looking forward to trying more of your recipes. More power to you!
    cheers!

• Lauren December 15, 2013 at 8:40 am Reply

Thank you Chechel! I’m so happy you liked them!

76. chechel December 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm Reply

I don’t like them. I looooove them. Had my friends try them they love them too I have forwarded your site to them. I got this from my friend, Sara. She forwarded your site to me. So, thank you again! Here’s to healthy treats!

cheers!

• Lauren December 16, 2013 at 8:46 am Reply

Thank you so much! :-)

77. Healthy Cookies & Beyonce - THE KB REPORT December 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm Reply

[…] BEST PALEO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (via Oatmeal with a Fork) […]

78. KB December 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm Reply

Love this recipe! I added rolled steel oats to it to give it some substance and they are awesome. Such a good idea when looking for a healthy alternative during the holiday season. Had to repost it! Thank you again!
    KB recently posted..Healthy Cookies & BeyonceMy Profile

• Lauren December 16, 2013 at 8:53 pm Reply

Thank you KB! I’m happy you enjoyed them! :-D

79. […] While I was enjoying the raw desserts, I think that few things beat cookies right out of the oven, so I tried this recipe from “Oatmeal with a Fork”: http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/03/29/the-best-paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies-ever/ […]

80. Summer December 31, 2013 at 8:30 am Reply

OK, so I have made these cookies more times than I can count! Seriously. They’re hands down the BEST chocolate chip cookies!

I think I’ve perfected them by using half coconut oil and half ghee and half honey and half maple syrup. It makes for the perfect combo! I also use almond flour instead of almond meal which seems to have a better consistency for the cookie. And I use the Enjoy Life chocolate chunks because….why not?…..they’re delish!

Thank you so much for this awesome paleo treat! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes :)

• Lauren December 31, 2013 at 8:46 am Reply

That’s awesome Summer! Thanks so much for commenting. :-)

81. Susan January 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm Reply

Just made these! Best paleo chocolate chip cookie I have made! Did not use any water. Thanks!

82. Christina January 9, 2014 at 11:47 am Reply

I agree theses are the best!! Been making them for about 6 months now. We never need to add water or almond milk. Also, our favorite is using 2T grass fed butter and 1T coconut oil. Thanks so much!!

• Lauren January 9, 2014 at 1:08 pm Reply

Thanks Christina! I’m so happy you enjoyed them!!

83. Lindsey January 10, 2014 at 4:59 pm Reply

I made them with almond flour (Honeyville), butter, and heavy cream in lieu of water. Delicious!!! Finally, almond flour chocolate chip cookies that turned out well. :)

• Lindsey January 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm Reply

Oops, and honey!

• Lauren January 10, 2014 at 5:34 pm Reply

Sounds delicious Lindsey! I’m so happy you enjoyed them!

84. Kristin January 10, 2014 at 8:10 pm Reply

OMG! These were awesome! I made them for several non-Paleo friends who DEVOURED them! ANd they are super easy and quick! I was surprised you didn’t put eggs, but they are the best ones I’ve had yet so who needs eggs!?

• Lauren January 11, 2014 at 2:05 pm Reply

Haha, thanks Kristin! :-)

85. Marcia January 11, 2014 at 6:51 am Reply

These are better than any chocolate chip cookies I’ve had. My brother (who is very picky and a good cook) loves them – he says they taste like chocolate macaroons. My 13 year old son that claims to dislike anything with healthy ingredients loves them too. They are good hot or cold. I don’t add any water to mine.

• Lauren January 11, 2014 at 2:04 pm Reply

That’s great Marcia! I’m so happy you liked them!

86. Tyler January 12, 2014 at 3:27 pm Reply

These cookies are amazing!!! They taste exactly like Tate’s cookies which are my favorite. I flattened mine before putting on the sheet and they came out thin butter crispy and soft on the inside. Great recipe! Takes 3 minutes to make and only uses one bowl, always a huge plus. Making them again tonight for a dinner party.

• Lauren January 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm Reply

That’s awesome Tyler, I’m so happy you enjoyed them. I hope they’re a hit at your party! :)

87. Stephanie January 15, 2014 at 10:25 pm Reply

These cookies taste awesome!! Even my picky daughter loved them!! My only question is mine came out a little crumbly… Surprised to see no egg! Maybe I’ll add an egg next time or less water. Anyways thanks so much for sharing this recipe

• Lauren January 16, 2014 at 7:56 am Reply

Hi Stephanie,

I’m so happy you enjoyed them! For the crumbly issue, be sure to let them sit on the pan for the stated 5-10 minutes before moving them. This is what help them set. Happy baking!

88. belle January 16, 2014 at 2:21 pm Reply

when i place the cookies on the cookie sheet do i round them like regular cookie dough and theyll will flatten on its own or do i form them as the shape of the cookie?

• Lauren January 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm Reply

Hi Belle,

No need to form them or round them, just scoop a large tablespoon of batter (depending on how big you want them) and place it on your cookie sheet. They will flatten a bit on their own. Happy baking!

89. […] The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever | Oatmeal with a Fork. […]

90. […] week.  I even made my first batch of Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies. Check out the recipe here:  Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies. These cookies combined with my recent weightless have caught a few stragglers and now I have people […]

91. Shelly January 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm Reply

Made these tonight for my very picky husband and 2 sons. They ate every last one of them!! I’ve made healthy cookies before and they turned their noses at them- Well.. Well … Well. …. We have a winner!!!

• Lauren January 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm Reply

Haha, that’s great Shelly!! :)

92. […] cookies were adapted from this recipe, by Oatmeal with a Fork, and they stand up to their name. I tweaked it a bit to fit the ingredients […]

93. […] chips instead of the dark chocolate. Whoops. The original recipe I adapted from can be found here…not sure why mine look so much different, but I lightly rolled the dough into balls before […]

94. Marya February 1, 2014 at 2:33 pm Reply

I came across these while looking for an egg-free baked Paleo dessert, and they sounded too simple to be really good. WOW, was I wrong! These are riDICulously delicious! So easy to make, and soooo tasty! I have missed cookies, as the Paleo versions usually are lacking in some way. Thank you so much for this recipe!!

• Lauren February 1, 2014 at 4:05 pm Reply

That’s awesome Marya, I’m so happy you enjoyed them! :)

95. Javiera February 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm Reply

Hi
    Just a wuestion, what is T ? Dont know what do you mean with that XD thank you

• Lauren February 3, 2014 at 6:44 pm Reply

Hi Javiera,

T is for tablespoon. :)

96. Essie February 11, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reply

I just made these using olive oil and they were divine! My question is–how long until they go bad? I want to mail some for vday and wondering if they will still be edible

• Lauren February 11, 2014 at 1:25 pm Reply

Hi Essie,

I would guess they’d last a week or two? They’ve never lasted more than a couple of days around here, so I’m not certain. :)

97. Nikki February 14, 2014 at 5:27 am Reply

These are baking in my oven at this very moment. It is 7:26am but that’s OK with me! I can’t wait to taste one.

• Lauren February 14, 2014 at 8:37 am Reply

I hope they turned out for you Nikki! :)

98. […] So I figured I’d post another recipe I found. These are by far the best cookies I’ve learned to make so far [Linky] […]

99. […] Click here for the full recipe and directions at Oatmeal with a Fork. […]

100. Amanda March 19, 2014 at 4:56 am Reply

I really appreciate the nutritional information especially the carb count as my young son has type 1 diabetes. You have saved me a lot of maths especially when the recipe is measured in cups and spoons!! Thank you.

• Lauren March 19, 2014 at 7:55 am Reply

No problem Amanda! My degree was math-related, so I actually enjoy doing it. :)

101. Christie March 21, 2014 at 2:31 pm Reply

Could you make these with coconut flour? If so, how?

• Lauren March 21, 2014 at 8:47 pm Reply

I’m not sure, you may have better luck googling ‘coconut flour paleo cookies’.

102. Sue March 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm Reply

I doubled the recipe and the ingredients, however, my husband said it was way too salty. I threw them out. Please advise.
    Sue recently posted..Easy, Healthy Breakfast Granola (Nut-Free, Vegan)My Profile

• Lauren March 22, 2014 at 8:14 pm Reply

Sorry to hear that Sue. As you can read by previous comments, I haven’t had that complaint. Perhaps just omit the salt next time…

103. Necessary Indulgences March 26, 2014 at 6:22 am Reply

I made these last night and loved them! I used butter and cinnamon honey (instead of cinnamon & honey). I am hiding them in the freezer as I type this. Thank you so much, Lauren!
    Necessary Indulgences recently posted..Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Mustard DressingMy Profile

• Lauren March 26, 2014 at 8:17 am Reply

Sounds delicious, I’m so happy you enjoyed them! :-)

104. […] Original recipe: The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever […]

105. Marie March 31, 2014 at 12:45 pm Reply

Nice post, but it’s too bad you were going for Vegan, they really could’ve used egg to hold them together… maybe even flax egg? They were too moist and fell apart even though I followed your directions exactly.

• Lauren March 31, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reply

Interesting, did you let them cool completely? I’ve had many positive comments and no one has seemed to have the same trouble!

106. Michelle April 7, 2014 at 7:33 am Reply

Great Read!! Thanks!! I just recently wrote a blog post on my favorite paleo chocolate cookie recipe, a easy one and super yummy!! Thought I would share:)

Thanks Michelle

107. Friday's Five - Eat Move Balance April 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm Reply

[…]  I made Lauren’s Paleo Cookies on […]

108. Marie April 24, 2014 at 5:52 pm Reply

Just made these and I added about 2 tablespoons of coconut flour to the recipe and they came out delicious! Great recipe!! This one is a keeper

• Lauren April 24, 2014 at 6:24 pm Reply

So happy to hear that Marie! :-)

109. Marie April 27, 2014 at 8:29 pm Reply

Ok, making these again today because they are freaking awesome cookies!

110. colleen April 29, 2014 at 6:13 pm Reply

These cookies came out great! Delicious. I’ll double the recipe next time because this yielded 8 cookies which were not enough!

111. colleen April 29, 2014 at 6:15 pm Reply

These cookies were delicious! I’ll definitely double it next time!

• Lauren April 29, 2014 at 9:21 pm Reply

That’s great Colleen! :-)

112. If we had coffee | May 2, 2014 at 3:16 am Reply

[…] have more of them and at any time of day she’d like one.    But I humored her and we made these paleo cookies with almond flour, coconut oil and maple syrup.  Dangerously […]

113. Renee Bourke May 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm Reply

I know its been said a million times already but these cookies are amazing! I have some friends who are gluten free and I always like to have something freshly baked for them when they visit. These are so easy and fast to make. My biggest problem is that it’s hard for me to not eat all the cookies myself when I make them!

• Lauren May 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm Reply

That’s awesome Renee, I can’t hear it enough! :-)

114. […] Chocolate Chip Cookies (Oatmeal With a Fork) […]

115. Susie L May 13, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply

This really is the best paleo cookie recipe I’ve found..chewy and delicious! I doubled the recipe because 9 cookies aren’t nearly enough :) Also added 3 Tbs of cacao nibs for even more flavor, nutrients, and crunch. I did find my cookies didn’t spread as much as I had hoped, so next time I’ll manually help them out a bit more. Yum!

• Lauren May 13, 2014 at 4:07 pm Reply

I’m happy you enjoyed them Susie! :-)

116. […] The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever […]

117. Donna June 8, 2014 at 9:11 am Reply

Hi, i just made these cookies. They are delish but mine did not spread and when i pushed on them they flatened out. Should i have added some of the water possibly and/or cooked them a bit longer also? Again the taste is wonderful but….

and to the almond meal….do you use Trader Joes? or blanched almond flour?

Thank you for being a part of your own blog. it allows us all to live and learn. Thx D

• Lauren June 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm Reply

Hi Donna,

They don’t spread much, so how they are dolloped onto the baking sheet is pretty much how they’ll look like when they come out! I use TJs almond meal for these. :)

118. Donna June 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm Reply

Thanks so much for all your replies. I questioned this because some of the bloggers here commented that there cookies came very thin and spread out very much and watery etc…
    i just assumed they would spread out. but regardless they are delicious. thank you Lauren.
    Cannot wait to try mny of your recipes…..

119. Rachel June 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reply

Thank you, thank you for this delicious recipe! I am vegan, not paleo, but I don’t eat grains and had not found a good grain-free and vegan cookie recipe until this one. I make this a few times a week, and have even changed it up by using raising instead of chocolate chips, and it’s delicious. A great “forumla” for endless cookie ideas. Thanks!!

• Lauren June 24, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reply

Thanks Rachel, I’m so happy you are enjoying them! :-)

120. Lisa June 27, 2014 at 8:59 am Reply

Can I sub 3T of ghee instead of oil or butter?

• Lauren June 27, 2014 at 9:21 am Reply

Definitely, Lisa! :-)

121. Chris July 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm Reply

Just tried them and balled them up. They did not flatten while cooking. Should I have flattened them prior to baking? I followed your recipe exactly except substituted 15 drops of vanilla stevia extract for 2 of the tablespoons of honey. Could that have kept them from flattening in the oven? Also, have you tried making these with at least one egg in the recipe? Wondering how to work an egg in. Thanks!

• Lauren July 8, 2014 at 7:40 pm Reply

Hi Chris,

I think the problem was substituting the honey. I don’t usually have to flatten or manipulate them in any way, I just dollop the batter onto the sheet. I haven’t tried them with an egg either, but I think another commenter had success with that! Good luck if you try them again!

122. […] a shout-out to Oatmeal With a Fork, whose recipe served as my starting point.  (Although now that I read it, almost a year later, […]

123. […] I have The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever on the blog, and it seems only appropriate, though admittedly narcissistic, to follow them up with […]

124. Shayla July 16, 2014 at 10:51 am Reply

Hi! I just made these cookies and they were delicious! However, they were SUPER oily, like I was wiping excess oil up with a paper towel before I baked them because there was that much oil. I didn’t add any extra water, either. Any idea what caused this or what I could do next time to prevent this?

• Lauren July 16, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reply

Hi Shayla,

I’m not sure since I’ve never had that problem and no one else has told me that! There is a decent amount of fat in here from both the coconut oil and the almond meal, so there is bound to be some of that….

• Lauren July 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm Reply

One other thing I just thought of, be sure not to overmix the ingredients…this will bring out the oil in the almond meal (like when you make a nut butter in a food processor) and that would definitely cause excess oiliness.

• Shayla July 17, 2014 at 10:51 am Reply

Thanks for the tips! I just made them again and the batter so MUCH better! I think the fault was all mine and I added too much oil or honey or overmixed the first time. They’re in the oven baking now and I can’t wait to eat this batch! :)

• Lauren July 17, 2014 at 10:53 am Reply

Hurray! :-)

125. CatCow August 4, 2014 at 9:20 pm Reply

Followed your directions…used honey and butter and almond flour…WOW!! A keeper and no exaggeration of how wonderful it turned out just as promised – but key would be following the directions!! Thanks so much!!

• Lauren August 5, 2014 at 7:04 am Reply

Awesome, thanks so much for your feedback! :)

126. Steph August 18, 2014 at 8:02 am Reply

I made cookie-brownies with this recipe and your ‘No Pudge’ brownie recipe and they were delicious! Thanks!!

• Lauren August 18, 2014 at 8:55 am Reply

Hah, that’s sounds awesome Steph, I’ll have to try that myself! :-)

127. […] 1. Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies […]

128. […] Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever (paleo) […]

129. Tina August 30, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reply

How did you get your almond flour to be “Smooth?” I followed exactly as you said/showed and your batter even looked smooth compared to mine. I used Bob’s Red Mill finely ground almond meal/flour. The cookies look nutty not smooth like a regular cooked baked with regular flour. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tina

• Lauren August 30, 2014 at 5:18 pm Reply

Hi Tina,

I’m not entirely sure what you mean…I used TJs almond meal, which also has a ‘nutty’ look to it. Almond flour doesn’t have the brown flecks in it (if that’s what is troubling you), so maybe that would work better?

130. […] The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever (Vegan) | Oatmeal … – … paleo, chocolate chip cookies … I came across these while looking for an egg-free baked Paleo dessert, and they sounded too simple to be really good. … Great Read!! Thanks!! I just recently wrote a blog post on my favorite paleo chocolate cookie recipe, a easy one and super yummy!! […]

131. Ultimate Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe September 3, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply

132. […] is no shortage of available Paleo chocolate chip cookie recipes. And some of them are, in fact good enough that you won’t miss the flour and butter. However, if you […]

133. One Thousand Dates September 15, 2014 at 4:38 pm Reply

[…] done. B and I made lentil masala (I’m guessing that’s what it’s called) and the BEST pale chico chip cookies ever!! (We haven’t made them in SO long!) And… of course… Orphan […]

134. One Thousand Dates September 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm Reply

[…] I made paleo chocolate chip cookies – yum yum yum yum yum. We didn’t even eat them all which was a shock and a treat […]

135. One Thousand Dates September 15, 2014 at 5:14 pm Reply

[…] A: Mentally and physically in the dumps this season. I went my entire life not getting sick and now I’m contantly coming down with something. Boourns. I hope everyone is taking care of themselves. My personal favourites are oil of oregano (see our hardcore fix here) and paleo chocolate chip cookie treats (both of which we’ve discussed before, but here is the recipe again!). […]

136. One Thousand Dates September 15, 2014 at 5:15 pm Reply

[…] We made stemmed broccoli covered in melted cheese (aged cheddar). Then A went to get some snacks and I stayed to make Paleo chocolate chips cookies – here is the recipe. […]

137. One Thousand Dates September 15, 2014 at 5:16 pm Reply

[…] Sunday. Thankfully, come about 9pm, we made cookies which sustained us until Monday. Oh gosh, these paleo cookies are good and filling. We doubled the recipe and used one cup almond meal and one cup buckwheat […]

138. D September 23, 2014 at 7:40 am Reply

Can you substitute the almond flour with another type of flour? I’ve read the comments above re coconut flour so I will not be using. A regular all-purpose flour or brown rice? (just trying to think of what I already have in my pantry)

• Lauren September 23, 2014 at 8:22 am Reply

Almond flour is unique in that it contains a decent amount of fat, which lends itself to the ‘buttery’ taste of the cookie. I’ve personally tried oat flour, but resulting cookie is quite dry. You may be better off looking for another recipe or holding off for the correct flour.

139. Melissa V. September 23, 2014 at 4:27 pm Reply

I really like these cookies but have one problem when making them. I end up with about half the amount of batter you show above. Did you by chance use a liquid measure cup instead of one for dry ingredients, for measuring the almond flour? It looks like way more than a cup in your video. My batter is also more of a paste. Delicious, all the same!

• Lauren September 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm Reply

Hi Melissa,

Not sure what you’re seeing, but I used measuring cups for the dry, nothing out of the ordinary. Glad you enjoyed them!

140. […] This is the cookie recipe. This is the banana bread recipe. […]

141. […] adapted the recipe from here. There’s actually nutritional info for these cookies on the actual site too, but don’t […]