Lemon bars have always been a favorite dessert of mine.
My mom got me hooked on them as a little girl, and I pine for them whenever I cruise by a bakery display…out of
desire necessity is born a recipe!
This raw version is made up of a chewy, sweet, and slightly tangy bottom layer topped with a rich and creamy layer of lemon-y goodness…the sweetness offsets the lemon enough to keep you from puckering, while still maintaining the citrus flavor that makes these bars so fresh and clean.
- ¾ c. walnuts
- ¼ c. unsweetened coconut
- 5 soft dates (I used Medjool)
- ¼ t. salt
- 2-3 t. lemon zest
- 3 T. coconut oil
- 3 T. coconut butter
- 2 T. maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 3-5 drops stevia, to taste
- Process together the ingredients for the bottom layer.
- Make sure it is well combined, and press it into a small glass dish (I used a 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
- Gently melt together the coconut oil with the coconut butter.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding stevia to taste.
- Pour atop the bottom layer.
- Place into the fridge or freezer until set (15-30 minutes)**.
- Cut and enjoy!
Thick, luscious bars….
…and the obligatory bite shot…
I can see myself nibbling on one of these while sipping a cup of ginger tea in the late afternoon…bliss.
What’s your favorite bakery pastry?
I also love the huge cookies!…oatmeal raisin is my favorite.
Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Eco-Kids Tuesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Raw Foods Thursday, Healthy Vegan Friday, The Pennywise Platter, Whole Foods Friday, Full Plate Thursday, Wellness Weekend