Grain-Free, No-Bake Breakfast Cookie

cookie00

It’s my favorite meal of the day, and I love how many choices it lends. If I’m not eating at least a few vegetables for dinner (and a lot of the times, even lunch), I often feel guilty. Breakfast, however, is a meal when I can eat savory or sweet (most often sweet) and not bat an eyelash about it.

cookie11

In my recipe scouring days, I’ve seen many a breakfast cookie recipe, but never a grain-free option.

cookie33

Buckwheat is the perfect addition to this recipe, because it has the taste, feel, and look of a grain, but isn’t one, and it pairs beautifully with the other ingredients.

Grain-Free, No-Bake Breakfast Cookie

Serves: 1
  • ½ c. raw buckwheat groats, ground into flour (can use ground oats if not grain-free)
  • 1/32 t. stevia extract (this is usually equivalent to the tiny spoon that comes embedded in the bottle), or about 8 liquid drops
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • ½ t. cinnamon
  • ⅓ c. mashed banana or applesauce
  • 1 (rounded) T. raw almond butter
  • 1 t. maple syrup
  • ½ t. vanilla extract
  • 1-2 T. milk of choice
  • Additions:
  • raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, stevia, salt, and cinnamon).
  2. Mash in the almond butter using a fork.
  3. Mix the banana, maple syrup, and vanilla.
  4. Add the banana mix to the dry ingredients.
  5. Add in your additions to make it the kind of cookie you want! I like adding raisins and walnuts to mine (about a tablespoon of each).
  6. Add enough milk to form a dough that resembles the consistency of cookie dough (thick, but not too sticky).
  7. Spread the dough out onto a wax paper-lined plate in the shape of a cookie.
  8. Refrigerate overnight (uncovered) and enjoy in the morning!
Nutrition facts are based on using buckwheat flour, liquid stevia, applesauce, 1 tablespoon of raw almond butter, and unsweetened almond milk. Weight Watchers points (new system): 10
Serving size: 1 Calories: 362 Fat: 10.9 g Saturated fat: 0.9 g Unsaturated fat: 10 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 60.5 g Sugar: 15 g Sodium: 500 mg Fiber: 9.2 g Protein: 11.9 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

IMG_2292-001

This was such a delicious recipe! Not too sweet, with plenty of room for variety.

cookie22

I love when I can wake up to an already-made breakfast and only have to clean one plate. :-D

cookie55

How could you turn down a cookie as big as your face?

What’s your favorite grain-free breakfast?

I really enjoy fritattas and eggs with potatoes, though I don’t make the potatoes too often.

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Healthy Vegan Friday, Allergy-Friendly Lunchbox Love

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 29, 2013 at 9:29 am Reply

I can’t wait to try this! I would definitely specialize in breakfast food too, if I had my choice.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday in PicturesMy Profile

2. Kim April 29, 2013 at 9:44 am Reply

For grain-free breakfast, I love blueberry carob smoothies and anything with eggs. I also love making blueberry pancakes with buckwheat flour. It’s a vegan recipe that I absolutely love!

3. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life April 29, 2013 at 10:53 am Reply

I am a huge fan of smoothies or granola with fruit and milk. Homemade pumpkin peanut butter granola is the best. This looks really good as well! No bakes are one of my favorite things to experiment with and I like the almond butter with banana … I’ll have to try that next time. How long will these last? Can they be made in advance or do they need to be refrigerated? Thanks!
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life recently posted..You Choose Today: Chopped Sweet Tooth StyleMy Profile

• Lauren April 29, 2013 at 12:27 pm Reply

I would imagine they’d keep for a few days. I haven’t experimented with that though. I always eat it all the next morning! :-D

4. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm Reply

This looks delicious! Needs a little peanut butter on top :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Mini #Whole30My Profile

5. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 29, 2013 at 5:30 pm Reply

I’ve never bought or used buckwheat!! Now I’m intrigued, and will certainly have to look into it. The breakfast cookie looks good, and it’s especially nice that it’s no-bake (for those busy mornings).
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Have You Had a Feijoa?My Profile

6. Taunnie April 29, 2013 at 8:57 pm Reply

I am with you breakfast is the best meal of the day. I usually crave somthing sweet and comforting like this in the morning. I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing :)

7. Stephanie April 30, 2013 at 8:24 am Reply

yummy! what a great way to start a day! Didn’t know buckwheat is not a grain before though…definitely gonna check it out

8. Genie May 1, 2013 at 5:34 am Reply
  9. Alissa May 1, 2013 at 8:32 am Reply

Made this for breakfast this morning! I don’t think I got the consistency quite right, but it was still delicious!!! Thanks :)

• Lauren May 1, 2013 at 8:53 am Reply

Thanks for letting me know Alissa ! :-)

10. These cookies look delicious, and so healthy as well! Would love for you to share this at my link party, Allergy Free Lunchbox Love (http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2013/05/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-5313.html). I would love to find these cookies in my lunchbox :)
    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery recently posted..Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love … 5/3/13My Profile

• Lauren May 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reply

Thanks Lisa, I definitely will! :-)

11. Anne @Authentic Simplicity May 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm Reply

Intriguing! I’ve used buckwheat before, but not like this. Thanks for linking up to Healthy 2Day Wednesday!
    Anne @Authentic Simplicity recently posted..Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan and Stuff {Secret Recipe Club}My Profile

12. Erin S May 6, 2013 at 6:26 pm Reply

Mmmm cookies for breakfast is my kind of thing! This would be a great addition to 5-Ingredient Mondays (http://siftstirandsavour.com/2013/05/05/5-ingredient-mondays-sugar-free-cherry-citrus-popsicles-vegan-gluten-free/), if you’re interested :)
    Erin S recently posted..5 Ingredient Mondays: SUGAR-FREE CHERRY CITRUS POPSICLES (Vegan & Gluten-Free)My Profile

13. […] If I had to specialize in one type of food on this blog, it would most definitely be breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day, and I love how many choices it lends. If I'm not eating at least a …  […]

14. Jodie October 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reply

Can I sub the buckwheat grouts with almond meal ? Would the consistency be the same? The breakfast cookie looks amazing but I’m strict paleo. Thanks! And btw ur chocolate chip cookies were sooooo awesome!

• Lauren October 28, 2013 at 8:39 am Reply

Hi Jodie,

I haven’t tried it so all you can do is give it a go! Seems like it might be a bit more crumbly though…

15. June Abney October 12, 2014 at 5:07 am Reply

We love this recipe! It is delicious, easy and bountiful!

Thanks, Lauren.