If I had to specialize in one type of food on this blog, it would most definitely be breakfast.
It’s my favorite meal of the day, and I love how many choices it lends. If I’m not eating at least a few vegetables for dinner (and a lot of the times, even lunch), I often feel guilty. Breakfast, however, is a meal when I can eat savory or sweet (most often sweet) and not bat an eyelash about it.
In my recipe scouring days, I’ve seen many a breakfast cookie recipe, but never a grain-free option.
Buckwheat is the perfect addition to this recipe, because it has the taste, feel, and look of a grain, but isn’t one, and it pairs beautifully with the other ingredients.
- ½ c. raw buckwheat groats, ground into flour (can use ground oats if not grain-free)
- 1/32 t. stevia extract (this is usually equivalent to the tiny spoon that comes embedded in the bottle), or about 8 liquid drops
- ¼ t. sea salt
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ⅓ c. mashed banana or applesauce
- 1 (rounded) T. raw almond butter
- 1 t. maple syrup
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- 1-2 T. milk of choice
- raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries
- Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, stevia, salt, and cinnamon).
- Mash in the almond butter using a fork.
- Mix the banana, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the banana mix to the dry ingredients.
- Add in your additions to make it the kind of cookie you want! I like adding raisins and walnuts to mine (about a tablespoon of each).
- Add enough milk to form a dough that resembles the consistency of cookie dough (thick, but not too sticky).
- Spread the dough out onto a wax paper-lined plate in the shape of a cookie.
- Refrigerate overnight (uncovered) and enjoy in the morning!
Inspired by this recipe
This was such a delicious recipe! Not too sweet, with plenty of room for variety.
I love when I can wake up to an already-made breakfast and only have to clean one plate. 😀
How could you turn down a cookie as big as your face?
What’s your favorite grain-free breakfast?
I really enjoy fritattas and eggs with potatoes, though I don’t make the potatoes too often.
Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Healthy Vegan Friday, Allergy-Friendly Lunchbox Love