5-Ingredient Healthy Cocoa Crispies

As a kid, I used to love cold cereal…I still do!

cereal00

Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Just Right, Raisin Bran….these were regulars in our pantry. Since I’ve been older, however, I can’t even rationalize eating the ‘healthy’ knock-offs of these classics, much less the aforementioned due to the typical abundance of preservatives, additives, ‘natural flavors’, and obscene amounts of sugar.

cereal22

As always, when I find myself in this situation, I make my own healthy version!

cereal77

Buckwheat served as the perfect proxy in this recipe. After being soaked and combined with just a few other ingredients, a delicious, crispy, chocolaty, perfectly sweetened cereal was born!

Healthy Cocoa Crispies Cereal

Serves: 4
  • 1 c. raw buckwheat groats
  • 3 T. cocoa powder
  • 5 T. maple syrup
  • ½ t. sea salt
  • 1 t.vanilla
  1. Place buckwheat groats in a bowl and cover them with purified water (about 1-2 inches above the groats).
  2. Let them soak overnight.
  3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
  4. Drain and rinse the groats.
  5. Pat them dry with paper towels as best as you can (gets a tad messy).
  6. Mix them with the remaining ingredients until well combined.
  7. Pour the mix onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Make sure to spread them out into an even layer.
  8. Place the pan into the oven, and bake the cereal for three hours.
  9. Remove the pan and break the crispies into pieces. You will have to kind of peel the layer off of the parchment paper, but it will come off easily.
  10. Bake the cereal for another 75 minutes (one hour and 15 minutes).
  11. Remove the pan and let the cereal cool (it will crisp as it cools).
  12. Serve over yogurt or with milk.
Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 4 Calories: 191 Fat: 1.5 g Saturated fat: 0.5 g Unsaturated fat: 1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 43.7 g Sugar: 18.8 g Sodium: 241 mg Fiber: 4.2 g Protein: 4.5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Though this recipe requires some time to come together, most of it is hands-off…. ๐Ÿ˜€

….and did I mention, it still creates that signature chocolate milk?….

cereal88

This is the best way to get a cold cereal fix AND it can be happily enjoyed by all diet types (vegan, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free).

What’s your favorite cold cereal?

I would have to say Raisin Bran! I love anything with raisins. My husband loves Cinnamon Toast Crunch, so that may be up next for a makeover. ๐Ÿ˜€

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, 5 Ingredient Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Wellness Weekend, Healthy Vegan Friday

Comments

Oh my goodness I love cold cereal. Mom never let us buy the chocolate version of anything, but as I have a major love affair with chocolate, I would never turn this down. Granola is my breakfast staple and I would eat this for that and a snack. All. Day. Long. Looks gorgeous and delicious! Have you tried it with anything other than buckwheat groats?
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life recently posted..Strawberry Yogurt SconesMy Profile

So brilliant! Love this Lauren. Great recipe. You’re always so inspiring. :-)

Admittedly, I did not like overly sugary or chocolaty cereals as a child. For example, I never ate fruit loops, but LOVED shredded mini wheats (still had sugar, but not as much). But one thing has always stayed true throughout the years, my cereal HAS to be crunchy…and it cannot go soggy quickly in milk. -) I’ve been working on nut free dehydrated cereals. Still getting the flavors just right, but it’s SOOO fun to make homemade cereal, isn’t it. In my many efforts to keep a green, low waste kitchen, making cereal is a great way to decrease box and plastic waste. Love it!! I am very excited to try this cereal. I can tell you my husband will LOVE it (he’s a HUGE chocoholic).

Have a fabulous week!

xo,
    –Amber
    Amber recently posted..Chickpea and Sweet Potato Medley (gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian)My Profile

3. Susan says

Lauren, you have really hit a nerve with this one – I used to eat chocolate cereal all the time, but like you, I now cannot justify it. I may just have to try this, and I think that since buckwheat tends to be strong flavored (and I doubt my husband would like it), that a mix of quinoa and buckwheat would be good. It sounds like this would work well in place of granola on the aรงai bowls we enjoy for breakfast. Thank you for sharing this.

I haven’t worked much with the toasted, but I’ve read that it can have a stronger taste, which may not work well here. If you have a close health food store, you might call and ask if they carry the Bob’s Red Mill brand of raw buckwheat groats or if they have it in bulk. I’d hate for you to take the time to try this and have it taste bad! :-(

These look so good. I’m always looking for good gluten-free, corn-free cereals for my 7 year old son. Since there aren’t many options I usually make my own. This looks like something he would love! Thanks for the great idea.

Hahaha! We were never allowed sugary cereals, but I would pick the raisins out of Raisin Bran so I can relate on some level! :-)

Thank you Suzette! Hmmm…I don’t know, as buckwheat is quite a bit harder in texture. Maybe don’t soak it as long and it might?….Let me know if you try it!

5. Addy says

I just tried this recipe and I found it has a really strong aftertaste, could that be the buckwheat groats? Or maybe the cocoa? If you have any clues for what to change, let me know!

Did you use the raw groats? The only thing I can fathom is that you used the toasted groats by mistake. They have a really strong taste…

The maple syrup is the biggest component in keeping the cereal together, so I don’t think stevia alone would work. You could perhaps make a syrup from granulated stevia and water and try that…

6. Candace says

Just made this. So yummy! Thank you for the recipe! I have really missed cold cereal ๐Ÿ˜€ Now I can have it again!!!

7. Heather says

YUM!!!! I can’t have much chocolate anymore (boo!), but I want to make this for my husband! Maybe he won’t realize it’s been “healthified” (although he knows who he’s married to, so I’m sure he’ll figure it out lol!) :)

8. Kate says

Hi there, I was just wondering if the oven should be set to 200 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius? And thanks for the great recipe!

9. June Abney says

Lauren,

I just made this and it is DELICIOUS! What a great wholesome cereal! I love the crunch!

I can eat so much more of this than the grain free granola I was making…thank you for this wonderful recipe and for introducing me to buckwheat groats!

June

10. Samantha Diaram says

So I made this with all the blood, sweat, and tears …just kidding it was super easy, super delicious and amazingly simple.I did a couple different things for those of you who want to try :
    1) doubled the recipe (because I love cereal and i had a big box of goats)
    2) added cinnamon (because I couldn’t find vanilla but that’s for next time still yummy)
    3) Turned the heat up to 250 (because I didn’t have 3 hours –it cooked in half the time!)

I have to say I am your number one fan thank you for making eating better convenient (as I have literally no time), cheap ( for a graduate student like me) and yummy (because when something taste good and is good for you such a win) !

Trackbacks