As a kid, I used to love cold cereal…I still do!
Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Just Right, Raisin Bran….these were regulars in our pantry. Since I’ve been older, however, I can’t even rationalize eating the ‘healthy’ knock-offs of these classics, much less the aforementioned due to the typical abundance of preservatives, additives, ‘natural flavors’, and obscene amounts of sugar.
As always, when I find myself in this situation, I make my own healthy version!
Buckwheat served as the perfect proxy in this recipe. After being soaked and combined with just a few other ingredients, a delicious, crispy, chocolaty, perfectly sweetened cereal was born!
- 1 c. raw buckwheat groats
- 3 T. cocoa powder
- 5 T. maple syrup
- ½ t. sea salt
- 1 t.vanilla
- Place buckwheat groats in a bowl and cover them with purified water (about 1-2 inches above the groats).
- Let them soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the groats.
- Pat them dry with paper towels as best as you can (gets a tad messy).
- Mix them with the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the mix onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Make sure to spread them out into an even layer.
- Place the pan into the oven, and bake the cereal for three hours.
- Remove the pan and break the crispies into pieces. You will have to kind of peel the layer off of the parchment paper, but it will come off easily.
- Bake the cereal for another 75 minutes (one hour and 15 minutes).
- Remove the pan and let the cereal cool (it will crisp as it cools).
- Serve over yogurt or with milk.
Though this recipe requires some time to come together, most of it is hands-off…. 😀
….and did I mention, it still creates that signature chocolate milk?….
This is the best way to get a cold cereal fix AND it can be happily enjoyed by all diet types (vegan, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free).
What’s your favorite cold cereal?
I would have to say Raisin Bran! I love anything with raisins. My husband loves Cinnamon Toast Crunch, so that may be up next for a makeover. 😀
Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, 5 Ingredient Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Wellness Weekend, Healthy Vegan Friday