Buttery Movie Theater Popcorn (Vegan)

This post is really less about the popcorn and MORE about the ‘butter‘….

butter11

Popcorn is one of those snacks that I can always eat. While I typically enjoy my popcorn smothered in butter and salt, my allergies haven’t been permitting that lately. Butter (even the purest grass-fed golden deliciousness) is my nemesis for the time being, so I decided to create my own version!

butter22

If you are vegan or have trouble with butter like I do, you will absolutely LOVE this stuff! It smells, tastes, and even looks like real butter!…no weird ingredients AND it takes hardly any effort to make!

Buttery Movie Theater Popcorn (Vegan)

Serves: 24 pats
  • ¼ c. + 2 t. milk of your choice (it's best to use an unsweetened one with a bit of fat like almond or hemp)
  • 1 t. lemon juice
  • ¼ t. + ⅛ t. sea salt
  • ½ c. + 2 T. + 1 t. coconut oil
  • 1 T. grapeseed oil
  • 1 t. cocoa butter, melted
  • ¼ t. arrowroot
  • pinch turmeric, optional, for butter lemon color
  1. Mix the milk (I used homemade hemp milk) with the lemon juice.
  2. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to curdle.
  3. After 10 minutes, whisk the arrowroot into the milk until combined.
  4. Pour everything into a food processor.
  5. Process for two minutes.
  6. Pour into a container, for instance, a small Tupperware or glass Pyrex dish, or even an ice cube tray.
  7. Place into the fridge or freezer to harden (I put mine in the freezer, and they took about an hour to harden).
  8. Use as you would regular butter!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk and the optional turmeric. For the most authentic taste, you can use refined coconut oil, which has little to no 'coconut' taste. I just don't personally feel comfortable using a refined oil. Weight Watchers points (new system): 2
Serving size: 1 pat Calories: 58 Fat: 6.7 g Saturated fat: 5.2 g Unsaturated fat: 1.5 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 0 g Sugar: 0 g Sodium: 33 mg Fiber: 0 g Protein: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this recipe

I guess-timated that this recipe yields about 24 ‘pats’ of butter (a pat is about one tablespoon). When compared to actual butter, here’s how the vegan version stands up:

REAL BUTTER**                                         VEGAN BUTTER**

CALORIES                                        102                                                            58

FAT                                                  11.5 g                                                        6.7 g

**Values based on one tablespoon of each

To complete the recipe, melt and pour atop a bowl of delicious, organic, hot popcorn!

butter33

I love using my Presto Popcorn Maker for this! It takes NO oil, and it pops virtually EVERY kernel!

What’s your favorite memory of eating popcorn?

Just about every night as a kid (ok, I was actually 16), I would make a huge batch of it and watch either ‘Clue’ or ‘Sweet Dreams’. I was very ritualistic. :-D

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life May 20, 2013 at 7:29 am Reply

My favorite memory of popcorn is with my aunt and cousins and popping kernels and sprinkling salt on top (without butter … Hmmm:) All I have to say us you ate so creative Lauren. I admire how you refuse to let your allergies stop you from enjoying food.
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life recently posted..Peanut Butter Pumpkin Spice Granola BarsMy Profile

2. Kinzie May 20, 2013 at 8:44 am Reply

Clue the movie? haha. We watched that last week. I love it. (side note: I always confuse Susan Sarandon and Leslie Ann Warren)

3. Peggy May 20, 2013 at 9:06 am Reply

I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time! And I love my Presto Air Popper too. I bought one with Christmas money, and I’ve made more popcorn than I ever have before. Do you melt your “butter” in that little tray on the top of the popper while popping? How do you “pour” it on?
    Peggy recently posted..Gluten Free Banana Cupcakes (And Allergy Friendly Too)My Profile

• Lauren May 20, 2013 at 10:08 am Reply

Hahaha…is that what that tray is for?? Awesome to know that! I usually just melt mine in a small saucepan on the stove. :-)

4. Tumbleweed Contessa May 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm Reply

Wow! How interesting. I do so miss REAL butter flavor on popcorn. Most of the time I am indifferent. I am glad I saw this at Slightly Indulgent Tues. Thanks for sharing. I’d love to have you come share at my weekly party: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/flat-iron-steak-in-tequila-with-margarita-salsa-and-corn-salad/
    Tumbleweed Contessa recently posted..Easy to Grow-My Garden ViewMy Profile

5. Vickie May 22, 2013 at 8:21 am Reply

This is an awesome recipe! Thank you so much. Now I don’t have to feel guilty when I want a batch of buttery movie style popcorn. Here’s the question: If the vegan butter has half the calories as the real butter, can I use twice as much? ;-)
    Vickie recently posted..Building A Driveway CulvertMy Profile

6. Gabby @ the veggie nook May 23, 2013 at 6:00 am Reply

I made my own vegan butter about a year ago, but haven’t done it since! Thanks for the reminder lovely lady!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..grain-free, paleo and vegan carrot zucchini muffins!My Profile

7. Amber May 24, 2013 at 8:39 am Reply

Hi Lauren,

Great recipe!! I’ve never tried to make my OWN vegan butter. I make just about everything else dairy free, so I will definitely try this recipe.

I made your “skinny girl” maple popcorn for my son last week. I’m not supposed to eat popcorn, but just HAD to taste test. Delicious. Remember those caramel corn balls? Man I used to LOVE those.

Have a great weekend lovely lady.

–Amber
    Amber recently posted..Why Taking Care of Your Mental Health is an Important Part of The Healing Journey: My Personal Thoughts and Helpful ResourcesMy Profile

• Lauren May 24, 2013 at 8:53 am Reply

Amber, how are you so freakin’ nice? :-D One of my goals in life has been to be a nicer person, and while I fail at it quite frequently, I am continually inspired by people like you who just seem genuinely nice…not fake, but truly sincere. Thank you always for your comments and for trying my recipes. :-*

8. Andrea May 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm Reply

Mmm, what a healthy, yummy recipe! I am sorry to hear you have an aversion to butter, but it looks like you’re not letting that stand in the way of delicious food! I will have to give this a try!

Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

9. [...] I have nothing against fat, as evidenced by this recipe and this recipe, but I do have a difficult time digesting copious amounts of it. It often leaves me [...]

10. [...] Buttery Movie Theater Popcorn (V) from Oatmeal with a Fork I would try this (my kids can’t wait for me to) with Easiest Coconut Milk or Easiest Almond Milk. [...]

11. Ellen May 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm Reply

Regarding the little thingy on the top of the popper: I think you can fill it with unpopped corn and dump it into the popper and it fills to the line. I have real reservations about putting butter in it to melt; I don’t think it would be even nearly done by the time the corn’s popped…..my two cents!

I love love love air popped popcorn with ghee, sea salt and Parmesan cheese….fat + carb + protein….what’s not to love???

12. [...] Some other favorites of mine include dried apricots, carob milk (instead of chocolate), and popcorn. [...]

13. Kylee Thomason December 4, 2013 at 10:22 pm Reply

Is this butter freezable?

• Lauren December 5, 2013 at 9:15 am Reply

I haven’t tried it, but I believe it would be!

14. […] Buttery Movie Theater Popcorn […]