Fat-Free Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Fat-Free??! What am I thinking?!

c2

In a time when coconut oil is slurped and butter is revered, why am I posting a fat-free cookie recipe?

Obviously, I have nothing against fat, as evidenced by this recipe and this recipe, but I do have a difficult time digesting copious amounts of it. It often leaves me feeling sated to a point of discomfort, which is NOT good for a girl who likes to eat. :-D It basically comes down to one delicious lemon bar or six heavenly cookies…and sometimes, I just want more!

c1

Though lacking in fat, these are NOT lacking in taste.

I bake these at 170 degrees (my oven’s lowest setting) to preserve the chewiness that would otherwise be absent if baked them at, say, 350. Though the baking time is extended by this lowered temperature, I assure you that these cookies are worth the wait!

Fat-Free Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Serves: 18 cookies
  • 1 c. oat groats, soaked overnight
  • 15 soft dates
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • ¼ t. allspice (can substitute with one more teaspoon of cinnamon if you prefer)
  • ½ t. sea salt
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • ½ t. molasses
  • 6 T. raisins
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
  2. Rinse and drain the oat groats.
  3. Process everything in a food processor until it resembles cookie dough (see picture below).
  4. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet (I got 18 cookies).
  5. Bake for 90 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using five ounces of Medjool dates and allspice. Weight Watchers points (new system): 2
Serving size: 18 Calories: 69 Fat: 0.7 g** Saturated fat: 0 g Unsaturated fat: 0.7 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.6 g Sugar: 2.2 g Sodium: 51 mg Fiber: 1.8 g Protein: 1.8 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

**The negligible amount of fat is naturally occurring in the oat groats.

The dough should look something like this before you take it out of the processor…

IMG_2753

….into the oven!…

IMG_2755

C’mon, 69 calories per cookie and only two Weight Watchers points?

c4

…(just so you know the nutrition facts aren’t based on a jellybean-sized cookie)…

c3

Almost raw and totally scrumptious!

How do you feel when you eat a lot of fat?

I read so many blogs where fat is such a primary source of calories, and I often wonder if others experience similar trouble as me….

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Ruta May 27, 2013 at 5:46 am Reply

How interesting. I’ve never seen a recipe where you bake at a lower temp. for a longer time, but I see how it may help with fat free baked goods. They look delicious!
    Ruta recently posted..13 Summer Recipes for your 2013 SummerMy Profile

2. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life May 27, 2013 at 6:33 am Reply

My stomach definitely gets mad at me when I eat a lot if butter or nuts! Like you said, it’s a bummer because Iike fats. That is so smart to bake at slower temp! Pinned and can’t wait to try! (Vacation is almost over and I can’t wait to get back to my kitchen;)
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life recently posted..Chocolate Mousse: Elegance with only 5 Ingredients!My Profile

3. Susan May 27, 2013 at 8:40 am Reply

These cookies sound very nice. I’m not sure a lot of fat makes me feel over-sated, but it’s been a long time since I’ve eaten anything with really high fat content. I am not at all fat phobic, but high fat content recipes just don’t appeal to me these days. Years ago I regularly and deliberately ate to feel stuffed. Now I can’t stand even a little of that. And I’m the same way with sugar. So it’s nice to see recipes that aren’t overloaded with either ingredient.

4. Amber May 27, 2013 at 8:57 am Reply

Another fabulous recipe, Lauren. The buckwheat groats were such a success, I will have to try oat groats. I do soak oatmeal, but not yet with the goats. Can’t wait!!! :-)

xo,
    –Amber
    Amber recently posted..Why Taking Care of Your Mental Health is an Important Part of The Healing Journey: My Personal Thoughts and Helpful ResourcesMy Profile

5. Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 27, 2013 at 9:32 am Reply

What a neat looking recipe!!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Marvelous Day Off!My Profile

• Lauren May 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reply

Thanks Kim! :-)

6. Anna @ Your Healthy Place May 27, 2013 at 10:24 am Reply

I actually do quite well on a high fat diet but I think it may just be because it helps me reduce carbs – high protein is not as easy for me to do on a vegetarian diet. But it is key that these are healthy fats and I am not talking reallllly high fat like some Atkins etc. But my sister has difficulty digesting it too as she has had gall bladder issues – she eventually had it removed, so now she has to really watch her fat intake. Major congrats on producing a fat-free recipe without applesauce or mashed bananas!!

• Lauren May 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reply

Thanks Anna! I’ve suspected I have gallbladder issues as well, so that makes sense. :-)

7. Gabby @ the veggie nook May 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm Reply

What a great recipe! es while I don’t believe fat should be avoided, it’s nice have a fat-free treat so you don’t have to worry about over consumption! These looks delicious!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..shredded brussels sprout saladMy Profile

8. Katherine May 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reply

Love this new recipe! These cookies look so great. I just saw you on foodgawker, so congrats! I can’t eat an outrageous amount of fat, and usually I do better without eating copious amounts, but I love the fat from peanut butter. I don’t seem to have any problems digesting that ;)
    Katherine recently posted..Monday Morning Inspiration.My Profile

9. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 27, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reply

I love me some fat, but I would totally eat these :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

10. J May 27, 2013 at 11:45 pm Reply

1 lemon bar, 180 cals. 6 cookies, 420 cals.

I’ll take feeling full after the fatty lemon bar, thanks.

• Lauren May 28, 2013 at 8:22 am Reply

What I wrote is my own personal experience, and more of a joke than a reality. My point was that I tend to handle less fat better, having nothing to do with calories. Please be respectful if you’re going to comment, thanks.

11. Brittany @ twosaucysisters May 28, 2013 at 6:26 am Reply

Oh. My. Word. Oatmeal cookies are my FAVOURITE! These are a must-try for sure! I don’t generally have trouble digesting fat, however if I eat something that is particularly high in fat (especially saturated) then I often get a stomach ache, but I think that’s just because my body just not used to large amounts of saturated fat.
    Brittany @ twosaucysisters recently posted..Simple Sunday: It’s All Greek to Us!My Profile

12. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 31, 2013 at 8:43 am Reply

These look great, and I can’t wait to try them! I don’t fear healthy fats, and enjoy coconut oil, EVOO and avocado. But I definitely enjoy these all in moderation. When it comes to cookies I try and keep he fat AND sugar content in check. This recipe looks fabulous!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s FiveMy Profile

13. katy@girlgonecountry.com May 31, 2013 at 10:23 am Reply

These look wonderful! I love that they are sweetened with dates. I’m all for fruit sweetened anything! The moisture from the dates I bet takes the place of oil really well.

I also have a hard time digesting coconut oil, but not butter. :)

• Lauren May 31, 2013 at 1:06 pm Reply

Thanks Katy! I think what really keeps these moist is the lowered baking temperature. They bake longer, but don’t dry out like they would at a higher temp. :-D

14. Amanda Klenner June 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm Reply

These look like a great snack for the kids! Ill have to make some. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!
    Amanda Klenner recently posted..Natural Living MondayMy Profile

15. Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Bars Recipe June 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm Reply

[…] Fat-Free Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies | Oatmeal with a Fork Fat-Free Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. SweetsMay 27 . Obviously, I have nothing against fat, as evidenced by this recipe and this recipe, but I do have a difficult time digesting copious amounts of it. It often leaves me . […]

16. Rena June 17, 2013 at 10:04 am Reply

I don’t have oat groats. Would regular old fashioned oats work? or buckwheat?
    Rena recently posted..Breakfast of ChampionsMy Profile