Spicy Sunbutter Noodles

This has been my favorite lunch as of late.

If you follow me on Facebook, you’ve seen me recently swoon over Sunbutter. Peanut butter and almond butter, while still favorites of mine, have taken a backseat to this temptress of a condiment.

My typical (and favorite) lunch is a big salad that I can cram tons of vegetables into, but lately, these ‘noodles’ are overtaking my lettuce obsession….and that sauce….creamy, tangy, spicy, slightly sweet….I could eat a bowl of it all by itself.

Spicy Sunbutter Noodles
Serves: 1
  • Sauce:
  • 2 T. Sunbutter (you can also use peanut butter or almond butter if you prefer)
  • 1½ T. lime juice
  • 1½ t. soy sauce
  • 1 T. water
  • ½ t. garlic, minced
  • ½ t. fresh ginger, minced
  • ⅛ t. red pepper flakes
  • 5 drops liquid stevia (or 1 t. maple syrup)
  • Noodles:
  • 1 zucchini, spiralized or ribboned
  • ½ c. cucumber, diced
  • ¼ c. carrot, grated
  • 2 T. cilantro, chopped
  • sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, for topping, optional
  1. Mix all of the ingredients together for the sauce until they emulsify and combine smoothly.
  2. For the zucchini noodles, I like to spiralize them, sprinkle them with salt and leave them in a sieve for about 10 minutes. Then, a put them in a dish towel in squeeze out the excess water. They become a bit more limp and 'noodle-like' when I do this, but you can eat them either way.
  3. Toss the noodles and vegetables with the sauce.
  4. Top with seeds and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using Sunbutter, stevia, the listed vegetables, and one tablespoon of pumpkin seeds. Weight Watchers points (new system): 8
Serving size: 1 Calories: 314 Fat: 20.6 g Saturated fat: 2.9 g Unsaturated fat: 17.7 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 23.5 g Sugar: 8.4 g Sodium: 612 mg Fiber: 7.9 g Protein: 12.9 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

I love using this spiralizer to make my veggie noodles (which is on sale right now!).

Noodles before salting and squeezing…

Noodles after….

….a bit more noodle-y without the crisp, fresh veggie bite.

Lunch is served!

What’s your favorite nut or seed butter?

Shared with: Natural Living Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Wheat-Free Wednesday, The Pennywise Platter, Healthy Vegan Friday

1. Susan says

This recipe looks wonderful. My current favorite nut butter is almond. But I’ve not had cashew or sun butter. I make my own almond & peanut butter now, and I’m guessing one would use the same technique for other butters. Homemade butters just look so much better than the store-bought ones, and I really like knowing that there is just one ingredient in them. :-)

Thank you Susan! I just started eating the Sunbutter because I feel like I’m reacting to almonds and peanuts lately. I’m hoping to try to make my own soon!

I just bought some zucchini yesterday because I was craving a zucchini pasta dish. This looks good, and I’ve made a similar dish using peanut butter instead of sunbutter. I think my favorite nut butter, although, is almond butter!

Yes Gabby, I think you would definitely benefit from one! They’re on sale on Amazon right now. :-)

Oh my word. That sounds so good! Pinning and already I can imagine how happy my mouth will be. I’ve been wanting a veggie noodleizer (yeah, not a word…sorry!) for my birthday and its coming up! I’m going to try this sauce on other things first, so ex I obviously can’t wait until my birthday;)

4. Summer says

I substituted the sunbutter for peanut, julienne peeled all the veggies, sauteed the zucchini and carrots, and tossed everything else. It was a delicious meal and super easy!!

To some who are unfamiliar with the noodle dishes, they will find this food weird because of the different ingredients mixed in it but it is actually delicious and healthy too considering the vegetables that have been mixed in it. I always love noodles for their unique taste.

1. […] A veggie-loaded bowl tossed in the caress of sunflower seed butter – dig in! And hey, we are soon coming out with FoodSniffr Food lists for vegans, vegetarian, gluten free and plain old healthy foods. We will sniff out healthy foods for you, and give you an easy snapshot of what’s worth your health and money and what isn’t. We will have scores, key good, bad and ugly ingredients, and more. Our goal is to make it easy for everyone to eat healthy with minimal fuss. We bet you”ll like it. Interested? Why not sign up to be informed: Gluten Free List | Vegan List | Vegetarian List. Full recipe here. […]

I love to read your comments!