Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Dairy-Free)

Yes, I’m jumping on this bandwagon…weeeee!

p877

1. Didn’t have added cheese
  2. Held together well enough to be picked up
  3. Has exact measurements
  4. Has nutritional information

….so I created my Zucchini Pizza Crust.

While I’m extremely happy with that recipe, I’ve always wanted to do my own version of the cauliflower crust that…

1. Didn’t have added cheese
  2. Held together well enough to be picked up
  3. Has exact measurements
  4. Has nutritional information
  5. ….serves just one!

….hehe.

1. Doesn’t have added cheese
  2. Holds together well enough to be picked up
  3. Has exact measurements
  4. Has nutritional information
  5. ….serves just one
  6. Is freakin’ delicious!

Ok, I’m done. :-D

Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Dairy-Free)

Serves: 1 pizza
  • 8 oz chopped cauliflower florets (about 1 tightly packed cup of 'riced' cauliflower)
  • ½ c. water
  • 1 egg
  • 1½ t. extra virgin olive oil (or use grapeseed or avocado oil if concerned about smoke points)
  • 1½ t. nutritional yeast, almond meal, ground oats, or grated parmesan (if you're unconcerned about dairy)
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • ¼ t. dried oregano
  • ¼ t. dried basil
  • pinch garlic powder
  1. Make your cauliflower rice by either grating the pieces using a cheese grater or pulsing the florets in a food processor until finely chopped.
  2. In a small saucepan, bring the three tablespoons of water to a boil.
  3. Once boiling, add the cauliflower rice to the pan.
  4. Turn the heat off (leave the pan on the burner), and cover the pan.
  5. Let the pan sit covered for 10 minutes.
  6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  7. Remove the lid from the 'rice', and dump the contents into a fine-mesh sieve to drain a bit.
  8. Transfer the cooked cauliflower from the sieve to a clean dish towel.
  9. Wrap the cauliflower in the towel, and squeeze out the excess water (there will be quite a bit!).
  10. In a bowl, mix the egg, oil, and remaining ingredients.
  11. Add in the squeezed cauliflower.
  12. Mix everything until well combined.
  13. Pour the contents of the bowl onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
  14. Using a spoon, spread the mixture out into the shape of a small, round pizza (it should be about ⅓ of an inch thick). You can also use your spoon to create a little crust, if you like.
  15. Place the pan into the oven, and bake the pizza for 40 minutes.
  16. Remove the pizza, and increase your oven temperature to 450 degrees.
  17. Top the pizza as you desire.
  18. Once the oven has heated up, replace the pizza, and bake for 6-7 more minutes until toppings have cooked through.
  19. Remove the pizza, cool, and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on using extra virgin olive oil and nutritional yeast. Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1 Calories: 200 Fat: 11.9 g Saturated fat: 2.4 g Unsaturated fat: 9.5 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 15.1 g Sugar: 5.9 g Sodium: 368 mg Fiber: 7.1 g Protein: 12.4 g Cholesterol: 164 mg

Adapted from the original recipe

p22

A few more notes:

• I found that one cup of chopped cauliflower is equal to about 3.6 ounces.
  • I used this food scale (which I love) for my measurements. If you’re an avid cook/baker, this comes in very handy.
  • When spreading the mixture onto the parchment paper, don’t be alarmed if it appears too wet.
  • Also, when spreading the mixture onto the parchment paper, be sure to cover any holes and that you don’t see the paper showing through.
  • If you double the recipe, double all of the ingredients EXCEPT only add in an additional egg white instead of another whole egg.

2013_06_05

2013_06_051

This is just perfect for one hungry, pizza-loving girl person.

p55

Vegans, I tried really hard to make this without the egg, but could not do it….

IMG_2992

I imagine you’d need starches and/or gums, which my tummy cannot handle. :-( If I have any luck in the future, I will post it!

I hope you give this a try! My Homemade Pizza Sauce compliments the crust perfectly, and it holds up very well to toppings…

p33

What’s the best pizza crust you’ve ever tried?

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday , Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Unprocessed Fridays

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Rena June 10, 2013 at 5:35 am Reply

I love this!! I must try it. We only have frozen cauliflower where I live. Will this recipe work with that? I look forward to reading all your posts. Such great ideas and recipes! Please check out my new blog and spread the word!

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 8:16 am Reply

I think it will…I would just defrost it, pulse it in your food processor (I don’t think it will grate well…), and proceed with the remaining directions. Congrats on starting your own blog! It’s a lot of fun. :-)

• Rena July 7, 2013 at 6:01 am Reply

Ok i just got around to making this. I used frozen cauliflower, defrosted etc. It worked out really well. I topped it with homemade pesto, veggies and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
        When i first took a bite I wasnt so impressed, it didnt taste like the regular wheat crust i’m used it. Which makes total sense by the way…lol But the edges were really crispy and before i knew it I ate half of the pie! I needed to stop myself since I want my husb to try some when he gets home :) This is soo good. It doesnt taste like a normal crust but for some reason it just works, so well!! I plan to blog about this sometime in the future and definitely send everyone your way. Love your blog! Do you think i can make a bunch of pies and freeze them? Its a bit of a pain to make just one serving at a time. And as a busy mom I would love to eat this more often, but don’t have all that time i wish i had to be in the kitchen. Thanks again! Rena
        Rena recently posted..Snack Time!My Profile

• Lauren July 7, 2013 at 10:24 am Reply

Haha, thanks Rena! I would think that it would freeze well, but I haven’t tried it. :-/

2. Heather June 10, 2013 at 6:34 am Reply

This is so unique, must give it a try even if just to satisfy my curiousity. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes that you have been posting.
    Heather recently posted..The Spider Bites by Medora SaleMy Profile

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 8:15 am Reply

Thanks Heather! What a nice compliment. :-D

3. Anna @ Your Healthy Place June 10, 2013 at 9:48 am Reply

Mmm cauliflower pizza crust rocks! I’ve heard of some people having spectacularly bad experiences with some recipes but the one I used (I can’t remember which blog I got it from) turned out really well and yours looks phenomenal too! Seeing as I’ve now forgotten which blog I got that one from, this will have to be my new go-to…!

4. Roechelle June 10, 2013 at 9:53 am Reply

I must try! I love cauliflower and this sounds so simple and healthy! Roechelle @ http://www.hugatreewithme.com
    Roechelle recently posted..Eat these Bulbs and Live Forever…….Well Not Really, But Pretty Darn CloseMy Profile

5. Deanna June 10, 2013 at 11:01 am Reply

Hey I love that you did this. I’ve not liked any cauli crust I’ve tried, because they’ve all fallen apart. Can I offer one suggestion? Instead of saying 8 ounces in the ingredient list (meaning volume) and then saying 3.6 ounces in the pics (meaning weight) you might want to say 1 cup (3.6 ounces) in the ingredient list. I totally thought you meant 8 ounces by weight until I saw the photos.
    Deanna recently posted..Peanut Butter Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 11:19 am Reply

It actually is 8 ounces of cauliflower that you need. I was just showing what one cup looks like and equals. It is a bit confusing though, so I’ll have to change it a bit. :-)

• Deanna June 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm Reply

Okay, so it’s 8 ounces (by weight) of cauliflower? So, you’d need slightly more than 2 cups, yes? Just want to make sure I’m understanding. (Sometimes I can be dense.) :)
        Deanna recently posted..Peanut Butter Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Exactly! I just wanted to depict what a cup looked like and how much it weighs. I don’t mind your questions at all! Hopefully, it will help anyone else who is confused too. :-)

6. Hannah@Mindrunningwild June 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reply

THIS!!! I was going to ask about the egg because my IgG profile said I’m allergic and my naturopath has me off them at least until July :( I’m really holding out for not having to avoid them because I want to make this!!!!
    Hannah@Mindrunningwild recently posted..Black Bean Donuts-Gluten Free and My Nutritional UpdatesMy Profile

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reply

Hahaha! I hope you do Hannah! I’m still trying to make an egg-free version for vegans, so if I’m successful, I’ll post it. :-D

• zosia June 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reply

an egg-free version would be SO appreciated :)

but so is this and all of your recipes <3

• Deana July 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm Reply

Try duck eggs if u can. My husband has an egg allergy but he can still have duck eggs just not chicken.

7. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance June 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm Reply

Yay for success!! I use egg whites in my crust, instead of an entire egg. I wonder if that makes the difference in it holding together when you pick it up? Looks delicious, Lauren!!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Lemon Pepper Quinoa and AsparagusMy Profile

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reply

I tried just an egg white, but I really believe it needs the extra moisture to hold together. At first, I tried making it a consistency similar to actual dough, but I think that may be a fallacy. I hope you try it Michelle! :-)

8. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 10, 2013 at 4:44 pm Reply

Definitely making this!
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

9. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies June 10, 2013 at 6:14 pm Reply

Oh, this is making me hungry! I tried and tried to make a vegan version too, and my results were pretty much the same. And sometimes worse. :P
    Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..Recipe | Grilled Caprese Naan PizzaMy Profile

10. Nicole June 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm Reply

That looks divine nice work! I wonder if a flax or chia egg would work I thinking it would! One egg equals 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia with 3 tablespoons water. If I give it a try I will let you know!

Nicole
    Nicole recently posted..Will Oil Pulling Make You Glow Inside, Out?My Profile

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm Reply

Thanks Nicole! I actually tried that, and it didn’t work. :-( If you have success with it, let me know!

11. allana June 10, 2013 at 7:38 pm Reply

Do you think using a flax egg in place of the egg would work?

• Lauren June 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm Reply

I tried it, and it didn’t. :-( If you have success with something, let me know!

12. Corrina June 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm Reply

Try Chia Seeds with the flax. Let the mixture sit for a bit before forming so the chia seeds can “gel.” That might help with the binding!

13. Judee@ Gluten Free A-Z June 11, 2013 at 8:11 pm Reply

This looks so good and I love that it doesn’t have dairy.

14. GiGi Eats Celebrities June 11, 2013 at 11:22 pm Reply

YES!!!! Pinning this! Finally a recipe for Cauliflower Pizza with NO CHEESE!!!!!! WAHOOOOOO!!!!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Two Girls, One SmoothieMy Profile

• Lauren June 12, 2013 at 8:07 am Reply

Hahaha, thanks girl! :-D

15. Stephanie June 12, 2013 at 7:25 am Reply

This looks great! I haven’t done a cauliflower crust yet (seems like it was bound to be soggy looking at many recipes) but this may be a winner…
    Stephanie recently posted..Zucchini & Onion Stuffed MushroomsMy Profile

16. katy June 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm Reply

Ok, now seeing your pics I will have to try a cauliflower pizza crust! :) It looks way to much like the real thing.

17. Tina June 14, 2013 at 7:49 am Reply

This look fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing! I’m curious what you put on top of your pizza in these pictures. It looks suspiciously like cheese but after all that effort to make a cheese-free crust, I’m guessing it’s not.

• Lauren June 14, 2013 at 8:25 am Reply

Actually, it is! I honestly have never liked the idea of putting cheese in the crust though, and I knew that the vegans of the world couldn’t eat it either. I also wanted an option for just making a sauce and veggie pizza, if the mood ever strikes me. :-)

18. amber June 14, 2013 at 8:23 pm Reply

You rock, girl. LOVE this recipe. Thank you for all your hard work and experimentation. I look forward to trying very soon.
    amber recently posted..My Favorite Chicken Salad ~ With Apples and Fresh TarragonMy Profile

• Lauren June 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm Reply

Thanks Amber! Let me know what you think if you try it! :-)

19. Starlene @ GAPS Diet Journey June 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm Reply

Oh, okay. It is cheese on top of the pizza. Looks yummy. About a year ago I also experimented with the cauliflower pizza crust – like you I’d seen it but always with cheese in the crust. Detoxinista had a version on her site that only called for a tiny amount of goat’s cheese, such a small amount that I had to try it without and was so happy it turned out to be so delicious. My son is so happy that we can have pizza again. :-) I love that you have formulated a personal pan version!
    Starlene @ GAPS Diet Journey recently posted..Chocolate Covered Cake Donuts – Gluten and Grain FreeMy Profile

20. [...] Cauliflower Pizza Crust from Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

21. Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) June 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply

YUM!!!
    Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) recently posted..Healthier Frozen Treats for the Whole Family!My Profile

22. [...] Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust (DF) from Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

23. [...] Favorite: Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust @ Oatmeal with a [...]

24. [...] Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust @ Oatmeal with a Fork (contains egg) [...]

25. Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry June 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reply

I’m still behind the times…I keep buying cauliflower and roasting it with yummy spices. Your pizza looks amazing Lauren! Looks like the real deal and no guilt to be had. I can’t wait to make this pizza crust finally. Thanks for the fabulous pictures too that make me want to dive in and eat about 10 slices right about now :)

26. [...] Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust from Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

27. Davida @The Healthy Maven June 19, 2013 at 6:24 am Reply

Love this! No dairy! So awesome Lauren :)
    Davida @The Healthy Maven recently posted..Raw Oreo CookiesMy Profile

28. [...] Yes, I'm jumping on this bandwagon…weeeee! Cauliflower pizza crust has been around since 2009 when Your Lighter Side posted the original version. I had a hard time finding a recipe for it that……  [...]

29. David June 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm Reply

Made it vegan using Ener-g egg replacer and it worked out fine. Slightly crumbly but more or less held together. Most importantly it tasted great! Thanks.

30. Donna June 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm Reply

PERFECT!….Question…what kind of cheese/herb concoction did you top this personal pizza with…and in what quantities?…I want to absolutely replicate this recipe…as the ratio of crust to topping is just what I look for!

New follower and so very impressed by your attention to concise directions, exquisite photography and creative culinary wizardry…impressed!

31. [...] dinner, I made my Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza. This recipe is great on nights when my husband isn’t home because it makes just enough for [...]

32. [...] After many trials, fails, and stinky dish towels, I’ve finally perfected my own pie that….Doesn’t have added cheeseHolds together well enough to be picked upHas exact measurementsHas nutritional information….serves just oneIs freakin’ delicious!  [...]

33. donna thompson July 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm Reply

my son is gluteen free he cant eat no hot spices food or no apples and potato and the thing he likes eat cant eat that pizza the cheese isnt good for him, he been in the emercy room a lot then he does check back with his doc and the doc dont no wants going on im getting of the doc i wish they would look for want wrong with him

34. denise July 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm Reply

I just made this. Omg it is amazing !!! Thank you

• Lauren July 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm Reply

Thank you, Denise, for the comment! :-D

35. [...] try new recipes. Today’s editions was Cauliflower Crust Pizza: http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/06/10/personal-pan-cauliflower-pizza-crust-dairy-free/. It turned out amazingly well, and was also very [...]

36. Mike Huiwitz August 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm Reply

Wow Wow Wow. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Can’t wait to try it.
    Mike Huiwitz recently posted..how to get my ex backMy Profile

37. Esther August 9, 2013 at 6:18 pm Reply

What a great recipe! The crust was perfect! I made small “pizza rounds” cooked them and froze them for later. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Lauren August 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm Reply

Thanks Esther! I’m so happy it worked out well for you! :-D

38. Katie August 27, 2013 at 4:07 am Reply

will this work without the use of any oil? :-)

• Lauren August 27, 2013 at 7:56 am Reply

I’m not sure, as I’ve never tried it that way, but the amount is so minute that it might! You may want to try applesauce or water in place of it though. I was very technical with this recipe, in that I measured everything multiple times to get it the right consistency, so beware of it NOT working.

39. Devin Taylor September 7, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Just tried this….. Holy hell it was good!!! GOD BLESS YOU! For coming up with this recipe!!! I cannot wait to make it for my hubby and friends!

• Lauren September 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm Reply

That’s awesome Devin! Thank YOU for your comment! :-D

40. Christine September 11, 2013 at 11:55 am Reply

Pizza looks delicious. Great step by step pictures for draining the cauliflower and then shaping into that perfect pizza shape! If anyone else came here for a vegan cauliflower crust, this pizza crust looks pretty amazing but I’m going to try this recipe with a flax-seed egg replacer (1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water) or chia seed gel (water mixed with a few tbsp of chia seeds). Hopefully that should hold the crust together somewhat…If that doesn’t work I’ll probably add in some chickpea flour or cornmeal so the flax has something to bind to. Can’t wait to make this pizza crust this weekend!

41. Thera Snore October 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm Reply

1. You can try drinking netttle tea. Herbalists recommend it for soothing the inflammation brought on by
    pollen allergies.
    Thera Snore recently posted..Thera SnoreMy Profile

42. […] I’m not eating this Cauliflower Pizza Crust, I like to make a 100% whole wheat, fat-free crust that uses applesauce and is ready quicker than […]

43. Carrie October 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm Reply

I teach a cooking class for 3-5 year olds and am thinking of making this for class this week. Question, can the cauliflower rice sit in the fridge overnight and do you think it’s possible to bake the crust the night before? Trying to figure out logistics for the 1.5hr class.

Thanks!!!
    Carrie

• Lauren October 27, 2013 at 6:47 pm Reply

Hi Carrie,

You should be okay either way! :-)

44. Carrie Quinlan November 2, 2013 at 6:39 am Reply

Hi Lauren -

Just wanted to let you know that the pizza was a HUGE success with my students! I ended up making the cauliflower “rice” the night before and having all my students help prep the rest of the crust in class. Everyone licked their plate clean :)

• Lauren November 2, 2013 at 8:30 am Reply

That’s awesome Carrie, thanks for reporting back on your experience! :-D

45. Erica November 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

Looks delicious! What purpose does the 1.5 t of almond meal/yeast/oats/or cheese serve? Trying to figure if I can leave it out or a reasonable substitute. My littlest is on the AI protocol and just recently introduced eggs back in and would love pizza, but can’t have any of the above ingredients. Thanks in advance!

• Lauren November 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reply

Hi Erica,

The bit of dry ingredient soaks up some of the moisture from the egg and the cauliflower. Is there anything you can substitute? Rice flour maybe? I haven’t tried it with anything other than the mentioned, but it may be worth a shot, as it is such a small amount.

46. 21 Day Sugar Detox Recap | Honey Taste This December 5, 2013 at 12:07 pm Reply

[…] Crust Pizza (is heaven) I use this recipe for the […]

47. Linda Wells January 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm Reply

I going to try this this week-end… Lookds yummy!!!

• Lauren January 21, 2014 at 3:24 pm Reply

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it!

48. Linda January 23, 2014 at 11:24 pm Reply

I use applesauce instead of egg.

49. […] Full recipe here. […]

50. Ali March 2, 2014 at 5:20 pm Reply

Would flax seed meal work instead of the almond meal?

• Lauren March 2, 2014 at 6:32 pm Reply

Hi Ali,

Unfortunately, I’m highly allergic to flax meal, so I can’t tell you for sure, but I would wager that it would! :)

51. Elaine Oulch March 3, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply

It is different then the one I have and sounds easier, so I am going to try it,

52. Erika March 3, 2014 at 8:54 pm Reply

Thank you for the recipe!! It is perfection!! I have been looking for a cheese free option for so long!!

• Lauren March 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reply

Thanks Erika! :-)

53. Stacye March 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm Reply

If I doubled the recipe accordingly do you think the cauliflower crust could be frozen and used another time? If so do you suggest baking it first then freezing, or freezing it after shaping the crust?

• Lauren March 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm Reply

Hi Stacye,

I believe that could work. I would shape and bake it up until the point before you top it, then when you want to eat it, just top it and bake it until your toppings are bubbly. :-)

54. Pizza Party! | Oatmeal with a Fork April 26, 2014 at 10:05 am Reply

[…] 2. Personal Pan Cauliflower Pizza Crust […]

55. […] I adore my Zucchini Pizza Crust and, in particular, Personal Pan Cauliflower Crust, there’s always room for pizza variations. Since eating the same food over and over leaves me […]

56. Taralynn May 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reply

Hey, you had mentioned your stomach doen’t do well with the gums, have you ever tried using psyllium husk? i love it, i bake with it alll the time….

• Lauren May 11, 2014 at 6:33 pm Reply

Hi Taralynn,

Thanks for the suggestion, but psyllium husk seems to bother my digestion. :( I appreciate you mentioning it though! :)

57. […] crust, which is fabulous.  We love all kinds of pizza here and this is the next variety I am going to try.  Another “Beast” […]

58. Caroline Lyster June 2, 2014 at 5:36 am Reply

Hey there I do not have a scale how many cups of grated cauliflower do I need? 1?
    thanks!

• Lauren June 2, 2014 at 8:20 am Reply

Hi Caroline,

It’s about one tightly packed cup. :-)

59. Rachel Canham July 14, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reply

3347 Judy Court

60. Rachel Canham July 14, 2014 at 2:18 pm Reply

Hi Lauren! I came across this recipe for a vegan cauliflower pizza! I haven’t tried it out yet but the technique seams unorthidox enough that I have high hopes that it actually works!
    Here the link: http://www.drtgoesvegan.com/vegan-gluten-free-cauliflower-pizza-base/

61. […] took my Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe and quadrupled it, making a huge, delicious, low carb dinner for me and the […]

62. Samantha July 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm Reply

Hey Lauren!

I just made this recipe for my mother and for dinner. Turned out amazing! I am so happy I found a healthy and tasty alternative to regular pizza.

Thanks so much,
    Samantha
    Samantha recently posted..Pajamas at WorkMy Profile

• Lauren July 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm Reply

That’s awesome Samantha, I’ve been making this recipe quite a bit lately myself! I’m happy your mom enjoyed it too! :)

63. […] me meager morning vittles, a large Cauliflower Pizza was in order for lunch […]