Flourless Sunbutter Cookies (3 Ways)

You may or may not know about my recent sunflower seed butter obsession.

c2

This stuff is dee-licious! With my recently discovered allergy to almonds (and overuse of peanut butter), I’ve had to switch up my nut butters a bit, and sunflower seed butter has been the spread of choice.

c1 My goal here was to at least make a paleo and a vegan version, but I actually found three ways to bake these that would appeal to different tastes and diets. The only variation among the three is the egg/egg replacer that I use.

c5

Flourless Sunbutter Cookies (3 Ways)

Serves: 12 cookies
  • PALEO VERSION:
  • 1 c. sunflower seed butter
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 4 T. maple syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 16 drops liquid stevia
  • VEGAN/PALEO VERSION:
  • same as above except use 4 T. applesauce instead of the egg
  • VEGAN VERSION:
  • same as above except use a chickpea 'egg', which is 4 T. chickpea flour mixed with 4 T. water in a bowl and set aside for just a couple of minutes
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a bowl, mix all ingredients (sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, stevia, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and egg or egg replacer) until everything is smooth and well combined.
  3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto the sheet (I got about 12 good-sized cookies).
  5. Bake 11-12 minutes until lightly browned.
  6. Remove, and allow the cookies to sit on the cookie sheet to cool for 5-10 minutes.
The nutrition numbers contain all three versions. The first number is the paleo version, the second number is the applesauce version, and the third number is the vegan version. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4 (for all three versions)
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 147/144/157 Fat: 10.5/10.2/10.4 g Saturated fat: 1.2/1.1/1.1 g Unsaturated fat: 9.3/9.1/9.3 g Trans fat: 0/0/0 g Carbohydrates: 10.4/10.9/12.9 g Sugar: 4/4.5/4.5 g Sodium: 260/255/256 mg Fiber: 0/00.7 g Protein: 4.7/4.2/5 g Cholesterol: 14/0/0 mg

Each version is delicious!! The paleo version is soft and thick, while the applesauce version is chewy and thin. The chickpea version (my personal favorite) is a beautiful blend of the other two.

c3

(Above, from left to right…chicken egg version, chickpea ‘egg’ version, applesauce version.)

The chickpea ‘egg’ is so fantastic! It holds the cookie together just as well as the chicken egg.

I actually tried these with a flax ‘egg’, and they fell apart. :-(

The applesauce version, while very tasty and my husband’s favorite, is the most fragile of the three, so be gentle. :-)

c4

Don’t be alarmed by the blue-green color! The sunflower seed butter reacts to the baking soda, creating this interesting hue…the taste is unaffected though.

If you don’t like or don’t use sunflower seed butter, these also work well with peanut butter. :-D

Have you ever tried sunflower seed butter? What’s your take on it?

I started off with Trader Joe’s brand, but wasn’t crazy about the plastic jar or the added sugar, so it was nice to stumble across this brand, which is in glass and has no added sweeteners. My oldest daughter and I just love it!

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Lisa June 24, 2013 at 5:57 am Reply

These look amazing! I wonder if you could replace sunbutter with almond butter. I think I’m allergic to sunflower seeds, which kind of sucks haha.
    And I’m so intrigued by this chickpea egg now. I need to try it out since eggs aren’t in my diet anymore.
    Lisa recently posted..Little Bits of LovelyMy Profile

• Lauren June 24, 2013 at 8:06 am Reply

I think almond butter would work, but I haven’t tried it. It seems a bit more runny than pb or sb, doesn’t it?…and, yes, that chickpea egg is awesome! I have yet to find a recipe it won’t work in. :-)

2. Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl June 24, 2013 at 10:01 am Reply

Love, love, love sunflour seed butter! It’s my fave nut/seed butter. I’m all over these! The vegan/paleo version will be perfect to follow the food combining rules from the conscious cleanse way of eating.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A Jumping Great Weekend!My Profile

• Lauren June 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm Reply

Hey Kim,
      Which book do you like for food combining principles? I’ve had some readers ask me about it, and I’d like a good reference! :-)

• Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl June 30, 2013 at 10:17 am Reply

I use the Conscious Cleanse book. It’s actually a whole program, but the book can be bought on Amazon.com.

3. Debra June 24, 2013 at 11:41 am Reply

These look great going to have to try these only had sunbutter as a spread and some in homemade chocolate balls, have you played around with using sunflower flour as a replacement for Almond flour? Almond flour is so expencive, do you think it would work?maybe your next adventure in the kitchen.

• Lauren June 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reply

I do think sunflower flour would work! That’s a great idea for a nut-free alternative! :-)

4. Susan June 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm Reply

I like the idea of these. But I would make my own nut butter. I already do my own almond (which is NOT runny! – it’s the peanut butter that’s runny if not refrigerated) and peanut butter. Making nut butter is so simple: 5-10 minutes in a food processor, and no need to add other ingredients, at least in the ones I’ve made. Probably would not make sun butter, though, because I just found out my husband doesn’t like sunflower seeds. :-( Of course, I could make it for me!

5. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm Reply

These look delicious! I love sunflower seed butter.
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

6. Lee at Veggie Quest June 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm Reply

These look fantastic! I love the concept of a paleo AND vegan version. Will have to try them!
    Lee at Veggie Quest recently posted..Vegetable National Food Holidays – Don’t Miss ‘Em!My Profile

7. amber June 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm Reply

Lauren,

Okay girl! This is crazy. I tried SO hard to make a good sunbutter cookie last week with no avail. I have these beautiful pictures from some sunflower fields by my house and I thought, hey, maybe I will try and make some sunflower seed butter cookies to showcase my sunflowers. No luck! I tried them with some cacao. My son liked them, but he will eat anything that looks like a cookie. Anyway, my point is I am so excited you have this recipe because everyone loves sunbutter and loves the flavor and I think they make a great cookie. I can’t wait to make these. Do you make your own sunbutter? It’s super easy. Here is a link in case you’re interested: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2011/10/homemade-sunflower-butter.html

Thanks again for this great, recipe!! :-)

Hugs,
    –Amber
    amber recently posted..Raw Nutrient Dense Key Lime Pie Creamsicles (also makes a tasty pudding) SCD/Paleo/GAPSMy Profile

• Lauren June 25, 2013 at 8:06 am Reply

Hahaha! I love that your son will eat anything that resembles a cookie! I tried making my own Sunbutter a while back, but it did not come out, so I’ll definitely have to try your recipe! I can’t quite figure how the butter is so expensive and the seeds are so cheap…?! :-D Let me know if you try/like these!

8. Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents June 26, 2013 at 4:57 am Reply

Wow. That’s all. Just wow. *Slobber*
    Visiting from Gluten-Free Wednesday.
    Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents recently posted..Trim Healthy Tuesday: Cornbread Salad (S)My Profile

9. Gabby @ the veggie nook June 30, 2013 at 9:53 am Reply

These look incredible Lauren! I love the vegan chickpea egg version!! Totally going to have to try these. I think I’ll try Amber’s recipe for Sunbutter and use it here :)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #49- sweets reign supreme!My Profile

10. […] Flourless Sunbutter Cookies from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

11. Heather Pace July 1, 2013 at 6:45 pm Reply

These sound really good Lauren! I was alarmed by the green colour, lol, but I would still try them. I feel bad for your almond allergy!!! :( But at least there are plenty of alternatives.
    Heather Pace recently posted..Superberry CheesecakesMy Profile

12. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) July 2, 2013 at 12:07 pm Reply

Yum! I have to try the Chickpea Egg! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Hope you enjoyed the last two week’s of giveaways!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
    Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) recently posted..#glutenfree #allergy friendly review: I am…cards by @glutenaway Restaurant Allergy AwarenessMy Profile

13. […] Flourless Sunbutter Cookies from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

14. Adrienne @ Whole New Mom July 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Lauren, is there a reason for the garbanzo flour as opposed to another bean flour? Thanks! They look wonderful!
    Adrienne @ Whole New Mom recently posted..Easy Homemade Ketchup (sugar free)My Profile

• Lauren July 9, 2013 at 5:18 pm Reply

My thinking was that socca (which uses garbanzo bean flour) stands up on its own without the use of eggs, starches, etc., so why couldn’t it help other baked goods do the same thing? Garbanzo bean flour is the only bean flour I’ve ever worked with, so I’m not sure how others would compare…

15. Hyman October 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm Reply

So, have you found a replacement for your best chocolate chip cookies? Since you’re allergic to almonds? Nobody in my family is, but my neighbors son (who’s best friends with us) is allergic to nuts.

Ill try this recipe but I’m in love with your chocolate chip cookies and would love to make some he could eat!

• Lauren October 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm Reply

Hi Hyman,

I haven’t discovered a replacement yet… :( I’m trying sunflower seed meal in various recipes, so I will have to try it in those cookies. I’m so glad you like the paleo cookies though!!

16. Emma November 2, 2013 at 8:40 am Reply

I think my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe is the “1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla” one, but these look so much better since they use a LOT less sugar. My question is, about how much sweetener do the stevia drops provide? (so, 1/2 cup sugar, etc) I have powdered pure stevia extract but no drops, and don’t want to blow through too much peanut butter testing it. Thank you!!

• Lauren November 2, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

Hi Emma,

I’ve found that 8 drops of liquid stevia equals about a tablespoon of regular sweetener (sugar, honey, etc.) or about 1/4 teaspoon of the stevia extract. Here is a chart for you to view yourself: http://www.stevia.net/conversion.html. I hope this helps! :)