Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars (Nut-Free, Raw, Vegan)

My daughter Jade has preciously nicknamed these ‘cookie bars’, which I just love…

bar11

As she approaches her 4th birthday, she has begun to emulate some of my kitchen habits….

IMG_3459

….she has her own notebook of recipes, she helps me cut the vegetables for dinner, and she even plays with the plastic food and kitchen set at our gym’s daycare! It’s too cute! :-D

bar22

I made these bars to accommodate Jadie’s allergies and combine her two favorite treats: chocolate and cookies. I love giving her healthy, delicious food that she and I can enjoy together.

Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars

Serves: 12 bars
  • BOTTOM CHOCOLATE LAYER:
  • ⅓ c. oats
  • ⅓ c. raw pumpkin seeds
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • 9 Medjool dates (about 5 ounces)
  • 3 T. cocoa powder
  • 1 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 T. water
  • TOP COOKIE LAYER:
  • 3 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 T. milk of your choice
  • 5 t. maple syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 10 drops liquid stevia (or 2 more teaspoons of maple syrup)
  • ½ c. oats, measured then ground into meal
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • ¼ t. cinnamon
  • 2 T. cacao nibs (or chopped dark chocolate)
  1. FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER:
  2. Process the pumpkin seeds and oats until they are a meal consistency.
  3. Remove the mix, and add in the dates.
  4. Process the dates until they are paste-like.
  5. Add back the pumpkin/oat meals, along with the cocoa, salt, coconut oil, vanilla, and water.
  6. Process until well combined.
  7. Press the mix into a 7 x 5 glass Pyrex dish.
  8. Place in the refrigerator.
  9. FOR THE COOKIE LAYER:
  10. Whisk together the coconut oil, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and stevia (if using).
  11. Stir in the ground oats, salt, cinnamon, and cacao nibs or chopped chocolate.
  12. Pour the 'batter' onto the chocolate layer.
  13. Place in the refrigerator (or freezer) to set.
  14. If you freeze them, be sure to allow about 15 minutes for de-thawing.
  15. Store in the refrigerator for best taste.
Nutrition facts are based on using the optional stevia, unsweetened almond milk, and cacao nibs. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
Serving size: 1 bar Calories: 151 Fat: 8.9 g Saturated fat: 4.4 g Unsaturated fat: 4.5 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 18.1 g Sugar: 10.4 g Sodium: 62 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 2.7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

The cookie layer¬†alone¬†is worth writing home about….

bar33

As Jade and Natalie get older, their tastes are growing more diverse, which is nice for me because I can try out new recipes without crying and tight-lipped refusals of anything ‘green’.

We have been enjoying these bars or my Raw Brownies just about every night….but beware of overdosing…

IMG_2939

…hehehe…

What are your favorite summer treats?

In addition to raw desserts, I love cold fruit and smoothies.

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Healthy Vegan Friday, Whole Food Friday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Gail July 8, 2013 at 5:54 am Reply

Hi Lauren,

First what a sweet little girl. I think it is wonderful that you are starting Jade out helping you cook, and she will grow up interested, and knowing how to do just that as so many children today don’t even know how to do the simplest of cooking tasks or even what simple pantry items are for that matter. Happy Birthday Jade!

I am definitely going to put these on the top of my baking list. They look like a healthier version of Nanaimo Bars…oh yum yum! I will come back to let you know how they turn out once the weather cools off.

Glad I found your site. Lots of awesome recipes. Keep up the great work.

• Lauren July 8, 2013 at 7:56 am Reply

What a lovely comment, thank you Gail! :-D

2. Kim July 8, 2013 at 7:43 am Reply

OMG…These look delish!!! Thanks for sharing…can’t wait to try them :)

3. Ricki July 8, 2013 at 8:38 am Reply

She’s so sweet! And I bet those bars are, too. Just gorgeous and my kinda snack! :)

4. Anna @ Your Healthy Place July 8, 2013 at 8:42 am Reply

These look AMAZING Lauren! LOVE the inclusion of cacao nibs and pumpkin seeds in the base – so good for you, so inventive.

• Lauren July 8, 2013 at 9:02 am Reply

Thanks Anna! Ever since I learned pumpkin seeds were helpful with hormones and parasites, I’ve been eating them like a mad woman!…so consequently, they’ve also ended up in a lot of recipes. I hope you’re doing well! :-)

5. Andrea July 8, 2013 at 9:42 am Reply

Your girls are adorable! I love that she has her own notebook of recipes. I am going to have to do that with my daughter when she is old enough. It is so great that they like to help out in the kitchen. What a fun time to spend together :)

Your cookie bars look incredible, and they have such healthy ingredients in them. I haven’t baked with pumpkin seeds before, but I will try these out. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!
    Andrea recently posted..Summer Cash Bash GiveawayMy Profile

• Lauren July 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm Reply

Thank you Andrea! Pumpkin seeds are so good for you, and I am putting them in everything lately. :)

6. Kris, Neighbor Chick July 8, 2013 at 10:28 am Reply

What a sweetie-pie! These cookie bars look amazing. I’m tweeting and pinning!! Yum. Have a lovely day!
    Neighbors About Town Blog
    Kris, Neighbor Chick recently posted..Baked apples in caramel sauceMy Profile

7. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm Reply

It’s so cute that your daughter is picking up on kitchen/cooking type things. These bars sound delicious–especially that cookie dough top! And, of course, I love the clean ingredient list!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..The Big Rib Cooking ExperimentMy Profile

8. Sara July 8, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reply

They look delicious!! When I first clicked on it, I didn’t think I’d actually be able to eat it, since I have to be gluten free. All I have to do is use GF oats (which I always have on hand) and make sure everything else is GF…no crazy changes. Hooray :)

9. Sara July 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm Reply

Whoops typed my email wrong in the last one :)

10. Amber July 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm Reply

Ha ha…that picture made my laugh.. What a sweetie pie.

I’ve been waiting for this recipe!!!!!. Thank you!!!!!

–Am
    Amber recently posted..Raw Nutrient Dense Key Lime Pie Creamsicles (also makes a tasty pudding) SCD/Paleo/GAPSMy Profile

11. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm Reply

Drool…
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

12. Laura | My Little Gourmet July 9, 2013 at 12:21 am Reply

These bars look so good Lauren, I think Arik would really like them too. And I know for a fact he would love hanging out with Jade. She is adorable and it sounds like she shares his love for cooking :). I love it when Arik gets all excited to help me out in the kitchen.
    Thanks for the great recipe, we’ll be trying these out soon!
    Laura | My Little Gourmet recently posted..Strawberry Roll CakeMy Profile

13. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life July 9, 2013 at 11:16 am Reply

I’ve been gone for a while and was thrilled when I saw both these and the raw brownies on Bloglovin’! They look JUST like cookie dough bars. Once again, your creativity in making healthy desserts amazes me. Pinned!
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Skinny Orange Sherbet Ice Cream (100th post!)My Profile

14. Gabby @ the veggie nook July 12, 2013 at 7:06 am Reply

Your daughter sounds adorable! I remember being obsessed with my toy kitchen! I think you have a healthy chef in the making ;)

I love the sound of these cookie bars! Cookie dough + chocolate is never a bad idea!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday # 51- from favourites, to struggles and even snickers!My Profile

15. Anne @Authentic Simplicity July 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm Reply

These look sooo delicious. And healthy, toO! Thanks for linking up to Healthy 2Day Wednesday!

16. […] No-Bake Chocolate Cookie Bars from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

17. […] Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars (nut free, vegan) from Lauren @ Oatmeal with a Fork […]

18. […] Healthy Indulgence: Double Layer Cookie Bars from Lauren @ Oatmeal with a […]

19. […] Healthy Indulgence: Double Layer Cookie Bars from Lauren @ Oatmeal with a […]

20. […] Fudge Brownies, Chocolate Cookie Bars, and now these cookies. I was inspired by my husband’s love for cashews and his need for some […]

21. Megan July 27, 2013 at 3:31 am Reply

Oh yum, a cookie in a cookie! These look amazing!

22. […] was inspired by my Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars. I found myself continually eating just the top half or saving it for last, like the cream in an […]

23. Shaun Hoobler July 31, 2013 at 1:36 am Reply

Those cookie bars look good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will try this at home.
    Shaun Hoobler recently posted..app dev teamMy Profile

24. […] Since I ate such a healthy dinner, I felt completely justified in indulging in a decent chunk of my Cookie Bars…. […]

25. Cath September 25, 2013 at 8:22 pm Reply

“Her and I?”

• Lauren September 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm Reply

I’m lost.

• Lauren September 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm Reply

Ohhhh, you like to come on blogs and rudely correct grammatical errors? Have fun with that.

26. Sheelagh October 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm Reply

Oh my goodness… I just made these and oh baby are they good! They’re like a brownie topped in a cross between cookie dough and chocolate ganache! Mind blowing! I’m giving half of them as a gift and I know my friend will be pleased! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

• Lauren October 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reply

Oh that’s awesome Sheelagh! This recipe is one of our favorites too. :-) Thanks for trying them and for the feedback!

27. Marilyn Phillips February 8, 2014 at 5:21 pm Reply

could I used another type of oil?

• Lauren February 8, 2014 at 6:38 pm Reply

Hi Marilyn,

Unfortunately, coconut oil is very unique in that it solidifies when cold. The only alternatives that I know of would be butter or (possibly) palm oil, though I’ve never tried either.

28. Anne March 17, 2014 at 10:06 am Reply

First off, LOVE your website! Second, I made these last night and they are AMAZING! I’m eating super-clean right now but sweet treats are my biggest weakness so it’s really nice to be able to enjoy a dessert like this knowing that it’s not completely derailing my efforts!

• Lauren March 17, 2014 at 2:54 pm Reply

Thank you so much Anne! This recipe is one of my favorites, so I’m thrilled to hear you like it as well! :-)

29. Jill June 3, 2014 at 9:06 pm Reply

The cocoa powder, is that sweetened or not. I have dark chocolate cocoa powder but unsweetened. Is that what is should be?? Please reply soon ;) Thank you! They look yummy!

• Lauren June 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm Reply

Hi Jill,

I always use unsweetened. :-)

30. Colleen July 9, 2014 at 7:29 pm Reply

I already have some oatmeal flour. How much of that should I use? So excited to make these – my fave desserts combined and no baking!

31. Colleen July 9, 2014 at 7:31 pm Reply

For the cookie layer, specifically. It says to measure before processing so I don’t know what to measure with the flour.

• Lauren July 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm Reply

Hi Colleen,

It’s about five tablespoons plus one teaspoon of oat flour. :) I hope you enjoy them!!