Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars (Nut-Free, Raw, Vegan)

My daughter Jade has preciously nicknamed these ‘cookie bars’, which I just love…

bar11

As she approaches her 4th birthday, she has begun to emulate some of my kitchen habits….

IMG_3459

….she has her own notebook of recipes, she helps me cut the vegetables for dinner, and she even plays with the plastic food and kitchen set at our gym’s daycare! It’s too cute! 😀

bar22

I made these bars to accommodate Jadie’s allergies and combine her two favorite treats: chocolate and cookies. I love giving her healthy, delicious food that she and I can enjoy together.

Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars

Serves: 12 bars
  • BOTTOM CHOCOLATE LAYER:
  • ⅓ c. oats
  • ⅓ c. raw pumpkin seeds
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • 9 Medjool dates (about 5 ounces)
  • 3 T. cocoa powder
  • 1 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 T. water
  • TOP COOKIE LAYER:
  • 3 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 T. milk of your choice
  • 5 t. maple syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 10 drops liquid stevia (or 2 more teaspoons of maple syrup)
  • ½ c. oats, measured then ground into meal
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • ¼ t. cinnamon
  • 2 T. cacao nibs (or chopped dark chocolate)
  1. FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER:
  2. Process the pumpkin seeds and oats until they are a meal consistency.
  3. Remove the mix, and add in the dates.
  4. Process the dates until they are paste-like.
  5. Add back the pumpkin/oat meals, along with the cocoa, salt, coconut oil, vanilla, and water.
  6. Process until well combined.
  7. Press the mix into a 7 x 5 glass Pyrex dish.
  8. Place in the refrigerator.
  9. FOR THE COOKIE LAYER:
  10. Whisk together the coconut oil, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and stevia (if using).
  11. Stir in the ground oats, salt, cinnamon, and cacao nibs or chopped chocolate.
  12. Pour the 'batter' onto the chocolate layer.
  13. Place in the refrigerator (or freezer) to set.
  14. If you freeze them, be sure to allow about 15 minutes for de-thawing.
  15. Store in the refrigerator for best taste.
Nutrition facts are based on using the optional stevia, unsweetened almond milk, and cacao nibs. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
Serving size: 1 bar Calories: 151 Fat: 8.9 g Saturated fat: 4.4 g Unsaturated fat: 4.5 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 18.1 g Sugar: 10.4 g Sodium: 62 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 2.7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

The cookie layer alone is worth writing home about….

bar33

As Jade and Natalie get older, their tastes are growing more diverse, which is nice for me because I can try out new recipes without crying and tight-lipped refusals of anything ‘green’.

We have been enjoying these bars or my Raw Brownies just about every night….but beware of overdosing…

IMG_2939

…hehehe…

What are your favorite summer treats?

In addition to raw desserts, I love cold fruit and smoothies.

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Healthy Vegan Friday, Whole Food Friday

Comments

1. Gail says

Hi Lauren,

First what a sweet little girl. I think it is wonderful that you are starting Jade out helping you cook, and she will grow up interested, and knowing how to do just that as so many children today don’t even know how to do the simplest of cooking tasks or even what simple pantry items are for that matter. Happy Birthday Jade!

I am definitely going to put these on the top of my baking list. They look like a healthier version of Nanaimo Bars…oh yum yum! I will come back to let you know how they turn out once the weather cools off.

Glad I found your site. Lots of awesome recipes. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Anna! Ever since I learned pumpkin seeds were helpful with hormones and parasites, I’ve been eating them like a mad woman!…so consequently, they’ve also ended up in a lot of recipes. I hope you’re doing well! :-)

Your girls are adorable! I love that she has her own notebook of recipes. I am going to have to do that with my daughter when she is old enough. It is so great that they like to help out in the kitchen. What a fun time to spend together :)

Your cookie bars look incredible, and they have such healthy ingredients in them. I haven’t baked with pumpkin seeds before, but I will try these out. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!
    Andrea recently posted..Summer Cash Bash GiveawayMy Profile

Thank you Andrea! Pumpkin seeds are so good for you, and I am putting them in everything lately. :)

3. Sara says

They look delicious!! When I first clicked on it, I didn’t think I’d actually be able to eat it, since I have to be gluten free. All I have to do is use GF oats (which I always have on hand) and make sure everything else is GF…no crazy changes. Hooray :)

These bars look so good Lauren, I think Arik would really like them too. And I know for a fact he would love hanging out with Jade. She is adorable and it sounds like she shares his love for cooking :). I love it when Arik gets all excited to help me out in the kitchen.
    Thanks for the great recipe, we’ll be trying these out soon!
    Laura | My Little Gourmet recently posted..Strawberry Roll CakeMy Profile

5. Sheelagh says

Oh my goodness… I just made these and oh baby are they good! They’re like a brownie topped in a cross between cookie dough and chocolate ganache! Mind blowing! I’m giving half of them as a gift and I know my friend will be pleased! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Oh that’s awesome Sheelagh! This recipe is one of our favorites too. :-) Thanks for trying them and for the feedback!

Hi Marilyn,

Unfortunately, coconut oil is very unique in that it solidifies when cold. The only alternatives that I know of would be butter or (possibly) palm oil, though I’ve never tried either.

6. Anne says

First off, LOVE your website! Second, I made these last night and they are AMAZING! I’m eating super-clean right now but sweet treats are my biggest weakness so it’s really nice to be able to enjoy a dessert like this knowing that it’s not completely derailing my efforts!

Thank you so much Anne! This recipe is one of my favorites, so I’m thrilled to hear you like it as well! :-)

7. Jill says

The cocoa powder, is that sweetened or not. I have dark chocolate cocoa powder but unsweetened. Is that what is should be?? Please reply soon 😉 Thank you! They look yummy!

8. Colleen says

I already have some oatmeal flour. How much of that should I use? So excited to make these – my fave desserts combined and no baking!

9. Colleen says

For the cookie layer, specifically. It says to measure before processing so I don’t know what to measure with the flour.

Hi Colleen,

It’s about five tablespoons plus one teaspoon of oat flour. :) I hope you enjoy them!!

Trackbacks