Carrot Cake for Two (Grain-Free, Nut-Free)

Since being diagnosed with an IgG allergy to almonds, I’ve had to find alternatives when baking grain-free.

c55

My potential itch culprit led me to use sunflower seeds as my flour. I’ve been familiar with Sun-Flour for quite a while, but decided to just make my own the easiest way possible…by grinding the seeds in a food processor.

c44

I was skeptical at first about the cake tasting like, well, sunflower seeds. But, it didn’t. Instead, it was dense and moist, with the perfect balance of sweetness and flavor (no sunflower seed taste detected).

Lovers' Carrot Cake (Paleo, V, GF, Nut-Free)

Serves: 1 cake
  • CAKE:
  • 1 T. walnut or coconut oil
  • 4½ t. sucanat or coconut sugar (or another natural granulated sugar), ground a bit in a coffee grinder
  • ½ chickpea egg (2 T. chickpea flour + 2 T. water) (or ½ chicken egg, if paleo)
  • ¼ t. vanilla
  • 3 T. finely grated carrot (about ½ medium carrot)
  • ⅓ c. + 1 T. + 1 t. sunflower seed 'flour'
  • 1 T. raisins
  • ¼ t. lemon zest
  • 1/16 t. nutmeg
  • 1/16 t. dried ginger
  • ¼ t. cinnamon
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • 5 drops liquid stevia (or another ½ teaspoon of sucanat or coconut sugar)
  • 1-2 t. water, only if the batter needs a bit more moistening
  • FROSTING
  • 4 t. soft goat cheese (chevre) or coconut cream (if vegan or paleo)
  • 1 t. maple syrup
  • ½ t. milk of your choice (I used hemp)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix the ingredients for the chickpea egg, if using.
  3. Use a paper towel to wring the grated carrot of any excess moisture.
  4. Mix the dry ingredients (sun-flour, spices, salt, and lemon zest).
  5. Beat the coconut oil with the sugar until combined.
  6. Add in the chickpea egg, vanilla, and stevia (if using), and beat to incorporate some air into the mix (until you see bubbles).
  7. Stir in the dry mix, along with the grated carrot and raisins.
  8. Add water, if needed, at this point.
  9. Pour into a small, well-oiled baking ramekin (mine holds about 1½ cups).
  10. Bake for 35 minutes until the top has risen a bit and is golden. The cake has a 'sticky' texture due to the lack of leavening agent, but it is not underdone.
  11. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
  12. Mix the ingredients together for the frosting until smooth.
  13. Invert the ramekin and lightly tap the bottom to remove the cake, or eat it from the dish.
Nutrition facts are based on using coconut sugar, the optional stevia, the chickpea egg, seven tablespoons of sunflower seeds (there was no option to calculate Sun-Flour), ½ an ounce of goat cheese in the frosting, and hemp milk in the frosting. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: ½ one cake Calories: 231 Fat: 13.3 g Saturated fat: 6.7 g Unsaturated fat: 6.6 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 25.9 g Sugar: 15.9 g Sodium: 139 mg Fiber: 3.7 g Protein: 5.1 g Cholesterol: 1 mg

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this, and it made just enough to share between the two of us! ♥♥♥ We had a few bites before I frosted it, and, while it was delicious, it was much better with the frosting.

c7

Having this recipe turn out so well was really exciting for me, as I can no longer bake with/use almonds. I will definitely be trying them in more future baking endeavors. :-D

Have you ever experimented with Sun-Flour? If so, what have you made with it?

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Alive & Thrive Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Healthy Vegan Friday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Chris July 15, 2013 at 6:41 am Reply

Will a chia egg work? Thanks!

• Lauren July 15, 2013 at 8:34 am Reply

I haven’t tried it, but if you do, only use the equivalent of half an ‘egg’. Happy baking!

2. Adrienne @ Whole New Mom July 15, 2013 at 6:42 am Reply

Hi Lauren. This looks wonderful! I am wondering about coconut cream. Is that different from coconut butter? I am not able to figure that out – thanks!

• Lauren July 15, 2013 at 8:35 am Reply

Thanks Adrienne! I just mean the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk. :-)

3. Shannon @ moveeatcreate.com July 15, 2013 at 7:37 am Reply

Thank you for this! I have an almond sensitivity, as well, and have found grain free baking to rely so heavily on almonds that it’s a bit discouraging. I love the idea of using the sunflower seeds (especially since you’ve already tested it out for me)! :)
    Shannon @ moveeatcreate.com recently posted..Book Review: Warrior Pose, With A Giveaway to Win Your Own Copy!My Profile

• Lauren July 15, 2013 at 8:47 am Reply

Thanks Shannon! It surprised me how well they worked, and they’re so much cheaper than almonds. Yay!

4. Anna @ Your Healthy Place July 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reply

I love how creative you are! Sunflower seed flour sounds amazing, I have to check that out!

5. Matt Tabor July 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm Reply

Oh man. Swoon…
    Matt Tabor recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

• Lauren July 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm Reply

:-D!

6. Laura | My Little Gourmet July 17, 2013 at 12:42 am Reply

These little cakes are so pretty and I’m guessing delicious too! You are one creative chica…love it!
    Laura | My Little Gourmet recently posted..Spaghetti Bolognese with Hidden VegetablesMy Profile

7. Christina Rodriguez July 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm Reply

Hi Reading about coconut cream reminded me of the time I made coconut butter… it’s a bit labor intensive (the removing of the meat from a mature coconut…) But the result is something like butter… You basically take coconut meat (here in Mexico they do some of the work for you and you could buy it peeled, phew). Put it in a blender with cold water – just enough to get the blender going. Blend. Pour it into a cotton towel over a bowl – a handkerchief will work. Twist and squeeze your heart out. The meat that was left in the towel can be blended with more water and you repeat the process. Put the milky liquid in the fridge. The fat will separate to the top. This is the butter. Enjoy on your favorite gluten free bread. It goes bad quickly so you can take left over the next day and place them in a pan and heat. The solids will toast and fall to the bottom. What you have left over is coconut oil, which will last forever in the fridge.

8. Laurie Barrie July 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm Reply

These look amazing! And I love, love your photography :)
    If you are interested in sharing this, I have a link up party at http://www.glutenfreeyummy.com/alive-thrive-thursday-7-18/
    Laurie Barrie recently posted..Alive & Thrive Thursday 7-18My Profile

9. Miz Helen July 20, 2013 at 9:59 am Reply

Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen
    Miz Helen recently posted..Whats For Dinner Next Week 7-21-13My Profile

10. Gabby @ the veggie nook July 21, 2013 at 11:13 am Reply

Looks wonderful! Even though I don’t have an almond sensitivity, when going grain-free I’m finding myself relying on almonds too much. I thought things would taste too much like sunflower seeds if you used them but now I can’t wait to experiment. This is a great idea for some variety :)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #52My Profile

11. [...] Mini Carrot Cake (grain & nut free) from Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

12. Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness November 23, 2013 at 3:30 am Reply

I just shared a post on the types of flour available. I didn’t see anything on sun flour! Why didn’t I think of that! The recipe looks delicious!
    Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness recently posted..25 Delicious Vegetarian Thanksgiving RecipesMy Profile

13. marquis @realrawkitchen December 5, 2013 at 8:49 am Reply

YUM! I love this. I’ve used walnuts in my mini carrot cakes, which I love, but I’m interested in trying seeds and the chickpea flour. Those are great alternatives. I also love the coconut frosting recommendation. Many vegan frostings are either uber processed or made of cashews, and I’m not really a fan of either.

Thanks for sharing! And I also just discovered you from the Veggie Nook .. so glad :)
    marquis @realrawkitchen recently posted..HOW-TO: Vitamin C face mask from Detox Your WorldMy Profile

14. 34 Healthy Meals for Two - February 7, 2014 at 1:04 pm Reply

[…] 28. Healthier Individual Carrot Cakes Grain-free and nut-free, these cute cakes are made of two unconventional but healthy flours: chickpea and sunflower. To achieve the classic carrot cake flavor profile, the recipe includes carrots, raisins, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. The sweet but tangy frosting is made up of goat cheese and maple syrup. […]

15. […] Carrot Cake for Two from Oatmeal with a Fork ~ gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free, with dairy free, paleo, […]

16. 34 Healthy Meals For Two - August 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm Reply