Carrot Cake for Two (Grain-Free, Nut-Free)

Since being diagnosed with an IgG allergy to almonds, I’ve had to find alternatives when baking grain-free.

c55

My potential itch culprit led me to use sunflower seeds as my flour. I’ve been familiar with Sun-Flour for quite a while, but decided to just make my own the easiest way possible…by grinding the seeds in a food processor.

c44

I was skeptical at first about the cake tasting like, well, sunflower seeds. But, it didn’t. Instead, it was dense and moist, with the perfect balance of sweetness and flavor (no sunflower seed taste detected).

Lovers' Carrot Cake (Paleo, V, GF, Nut-Free)

Serves: 1 cake
  • CAKE:
  • 1 T. walnut or coconut oil
  • 4½ t. sucanat or coconut sugar (or another natural granulated sugar), ground a bit in a coffee grinder
  • ½ chickpea egg (2 T. chickpea flour + 2 T. water) (or ½ chicken egg, if paleo)
  • ¼ t. vanilla
  • 3 T. finely grated carrot (about ½ medium carrot)
  • ⅓ c. + 1 T. + 1 t. sunflower seed 'flour'
  • 1 T. raisins
  • ¼ t. lemon zest
  • 1/16 t. nutmeg
  • 1/16 t. dried ginger
  • ¼ t. cinnamon
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • 5 drops liquid stevia (or another ½ teaspoon of sucanat or coconut sugar)
  • 1-2 t. water, only if the batter needs a bit more moistening
  • FROSTING
  • 4 t. soft goat cheese (chevre) or coconut cream (if vegan or paleo)
  • 1 t. maple syrup
  • ½ t. milk of your choice (I used hemp)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix the ingredients for the chickpea egg, if using.
  3. Use a paper towel to wring the grated carrot of any excess moisture.
  4. Mix the dry ingredients (sun-flour, spices, salt, and lemon zest).
  5. Beat the coconut oil with the sugar until combined.
  6. Add in the chickpea egg, vanilla, and stevia (if using), and beat to incorporate some air into the mix (until you see bubbles).
  7. Stir in the dry mix, along with the grated carrot and raisins.
  8. Add water, if needed, at this point.
  9. Pour into a small, well-oiled baking ramekin (mine holds about 1½ cups).
  10. Bake for 35 minutes until the top has risen a bit and is golden. The cake has a 'sticky' texture due to the lack of leavening agent, but it is not underdone.
  11. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
  12. Mix the ingredients together for the frosting until smooth.
  13. Invert the ramekin and lightly tap the bottom to remove the cake, or eat it from the dish.
Nutrition facts are based on using coconut sugar, the optional stevia, the chickpea egg, seven tablespoons of sunflower seeds (there was no option to calculate Sun-Flour), ½ an ounce of goat cheese in the frosting, and hemp milk in the frosting. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: ½ one cake Calories: 231 Fat: 13.3 g Saturated fat: 6.7 g Unsaturated fat: 6.6 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 25.9 g Sugar: 15.9 g Sodium: 139 mg Fiber: 3.7 g Protein: 5.1 g Cholesterol: 1 mg

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this, and it made just enough to share between the two of us! ♥♥♥ We had a few bites before I frosted it, and, while it was delicious, it was much better with the frosting.

c7

Having this recipe turn out so well was really exciting for me, as I can no longer bake with/use almonds. I will definitely be trying them in more future baking endeavors. 😀

Have you ever experimented with Sun-Flour? If so, what have you made with it?

Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Alive & Thrive Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Healthy Vegan Friday

Comments

Thanks Shannon! It surprised me how well they worked, and they’re so much cheaper than almonds. Yay!

1. Christina Rodriguez says

Hi Reading about coconut cream reminded me of the time I made coconut butter… it’s a bit labor intensive (the removing of the meat from a mature coconut…) But the result is something like butter… You basically take coconut meat (here in Mexico they do some of the work for you and you could buy it peeled, phew). Put it in a blender with cold water – just enough to get the blender going. Blend. Pour it into a cotton towel over a bowl – a handkerchief will work. Twist and squeeze your heart out. The meat that was left in the towel can be blended with more water and you repeat the process. Put the milky liquid in the fridge. The fat will separate to the top. This is the butter. Enjoy on your favorite gluten free bread. It goes bad quickly so you can take left over the next day and place them in a pan and heat. The solids will toast and fall to the bottom. What you have left over is coconut oil, which will last forever in the fridge.

Looks wonderful! Even though I don’t have an almond sensitivity, when going grain-free I’m finding myself relying on almonds too much. I thought things would taste too much like sunflower seeds if you used them but now I can’t wait to experiment. This is a great idea for some variety :)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #52My Profile

YUM! I love this. I’ve used walnuts in my mini carrot cakes, which I love, but I’m interested in trying seeds and the chickpea flour. Those are great alternatives. I also love the coconut frosting recommendation. Many vegan frostings are either uber processed or made of cashews, and I’m not really a fan of either.

Thanks for sharing! And I also just discovered you from the Veggie Nook .. so glad :)
    marquis @realrawkitchen recently posted..HOW-TO: Vitamin C face mask from Detox Your WorldMy Profile

4. JoAnn Whitley says

You frequently mention ramekins and there are so many sizes out there….can you tell me what size you use for this….looks yummy and want to try.

Hi JoAnn,

I mention in the instructions that the one I use holds about 1 1/2 cups, unfortunately, it doesn’t have an ounce size, if that’s what you’re wondering, but I would guess it’s an eight ounce? Hope that helps!

Trackbacks

1. […] 28. Healthier Individual Carrot Cakes Grain-free and nut-free, these cute cakes are made of two unconventional but healthy flours: chickpea and sunflower. To achieve the classic carrot cake flavor profile, the recipe includes carrots, raisins, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. The sweet but tangy frosting is made up of goat cheese and maple syrup. […]