Vegan Scrambled ‘Eggs’ (Soy-Free)

This little dish came about completely by accident.

e1

I was trying to take my chickpea ‘egg’ idea to a whole new level and create an omelet. Well, in the midst of flipping it over, the ‘omelet’ broke, leaving me with smaller bites that resembled scrambled egg pieces.

e3

With the addition of a few vegetables, this dish is a great alternative to traditional scrambled eggs for vegans or those of you with allergies to eggs.

Vegan Scrambled 'Eggs' with Kale and Mushrooms

Serves: 1 portion
  • 4 t. coconut oil, divided
  • 5 T. chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour)
  • 6 T. water
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • ¼ c. mushrooms, chopped
  • ¼ c. kale, chopped
  • sea salt or Indian black salt, to taste (I used about ¼ teaspoon)
  • black pepper, to taste
  1. Heat two teaspoons of coconut oil in a small non-stick skillet.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the chickpea flour with the water, scallion, and a couple pinches of black salt or regular sea salt and pepper.
  3. Add the mushrooms into the skillet, and let them cook for about five minutes.
  4. Add the remaining two teaspoons of coconut oil to the pan.
  5. Pour the chickpea/scallion mix into the skillet, and let it cook without touching it for 3-5 minutes, or until you see the perimeter begin to 'set'.
  6. Sprinkle the kale into the skillet.
  7. Using a spatula, begin breaking the mix into smaller bite-size pieces.
  8. Heat the 'eggs' until they are cooked through (no batter in sight).
  9. Salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: 1 portion Calories: 208 Fat: 19 g Saturated fat: 15.7 g Unsaturated fat: 3.3 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 9 g Sugar: 1.6 g Sodium: 15 mg Fiber: 2.5 g Protein: 3.2 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

If you’re interested in getting the classic ‘sulfur’ flavor of real eggs, this black salt has minerals in it that can help make that happen, but the dish is delicious without it as well.

e4

The ‘eggs’ turn out soft yet substantial, without being rubbery, like some real eggs can be. The addition of the mushrooms and kale add both nutrition and flavor, and the bean-based flour adds a good amount of protein to the dish. It even has a natural yellow color! :-D

e2

Have you ever tried an egg substitute? If so, which one?

For those of you interested in the chickpea/garbanzo bean flour, I use this one and have had consistently good results!

Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday, Whole Food Friday, Allergy-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Laura | My Little Gourmet July 19, 2013 at 5:11 am Reply

These look so yummy! Even though I’m lucky enough to not have any allergies, I may have to try these anyways. :) Do you make the chickpea flour or is that something you can just pick up at the store?
    Laura | My Little Gourmet recently posted..Pomegranate LassiMy Profile

2. Rebecca P. July 19, 2013 at 6:43 am Reply

This looks awesome. I have seen a few chickpea type egg substitute breakfast dishes on interest but never got around to trying. I will definitely try this soon, I love chickpea flour and I have a huge soy-allergy!

3. amber July 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm Reply

You are so darn clever, Lauren. This recipe looks amazing. Great job!!

–Am
    amber recently posted..Raw Strawberry Chocolate Cereal (nut free, grain free, vegan)My Profile

4. Ricky July 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm Reply

Looks actually very tasty. It reminds me a bit of Socca which we had in Nice.

5. Gabby @ the veggie nook July 21, 2013 at 10:25 am Reply

Ok colour me intrigued- I HAVE to make these! Isn’t it awesome when mistakes lead to brilliant discoveries??
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #52My Profile

6. Liesl @ Fitnessinthekitchen July 21, 2013 at 10:37 am Reply

These look yummy…and what I clever idea.
    Liesl @ Fitnessinthekitchen recently posted..Fitness & Eats for the Week – 7/21My Profile

7. Sheelagh August 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm Reply

Thank you so much for this! I recently discovered I’m allergic eggs and thought I’d never get to enjoy the goodness of scrambled eggs again. I just whipped up this recipe and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for making my day!

• Lauren August 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reply

Thank you Sheelagh! I have to rotate my foods, so this makes a great substitute for me as well. I’m so happy you enjoyed it! I hope you’re doing well! :-D

8. […] fats. Other options (for non-vegans) are eggs (like omelets and scrambles) or for vegans a soy-free scramble or omelet, healthy pancakes or waffles, overnight oats or oatmeal or granola, try making your own […]

9. […] (via Vegan Scrambled ‘Eggs’ (Soy-Free) | Oatmeal with a Fork) […]

10. […] I knew as soon as I saw this recipe for chickpea flour-based Vegan Scrambled ‘Eggs’ that I had to give them a […]

11. Sasha September 8, 2013 at 11:26 am Reply

I’ve made these a couple times and they were great! I’ve posted some photos & stuff on my blog. http://onesmallvegan.com/2013/09/08/vegan-scrambled-eggs-yes/ I also love making chickpea flour omelettes!
    Sasha recently posted..More Waffles from Healthy Happy LifeMy Profile

• Lauren September 8, 2013 at 11:30 am Reply

That’s awesome Sasha! I’m happy you like the recipe. :-D

12. Rebecca W. September 18, 2013 at 6:32 am Reply

I accidentally made this too last night trying to make socca! It fell apart in the pan and I tasted it and was pleasantly surprised to find it tasted like scrambled eggs. Thanks for the recipe though, because it confirmed my suspicion.

13. Olga October 21, 2013 at 4:02 am Reply

Incredibly, surprisingly yummy. Thank you!

• Lauren October 21, 2013 at 8:19 am Reply

Thank you Olga! I’m happy you enjoyed it!

14. Heather October 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm Reply

This sounds amazing, but I hate mushrooms (I know…I’ve tried to like them, but it all goes back to my childhood. Long story). Do you think I could use nutritional yeast to give it some extra flavor in the mushrooms’ place? Really, I was always a purist and liked scrambled eggs alone, or with some cheese anyway. I was also thinking about trying to incorporate some seawee in place of the black salt to give it some egg taste.

Chickpea flour…what can’t it do?? I’m glad that there are some really inventive vegans out there to help me through my newly discovered soy allergy.

• Lauren October 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm Reply

Hi Heather,

You could add in practically any veggie you’d like! I’m not sure if seaweed would emulate the black salt flavor though…the black salt has a ‘sulfur’ taste that is really similar to what is in eggs.

I know what you mean about chickpea flour, I LOVE it! :-D

15. Rena November 1, 2013 at 2:38 am Reply

I am really excited to try this. I realized that after eating an omelet I get stomach pains so I may be sensitive to eggs. Great idea!
    Rena recently posted..Mushroom Lentil SoupMy Profile

16. Sam November 13, 2013 at 9:14 am Reply

If I used pureed chickpeas and left out the water (instead of using flour), would I get a passable result?

• Lauren November 13, 2013 at 9:44 am Reply

My guess would be no, as the pureed chickpeas would have much more moisture than the flour.

17. […] Inspired by Oatmeal with a Fork Serves 4 small tacos. For larger meal, double taco mixture. Vegan, Gluten Free Printable Recipe […]

18. Mr. Holipsism May 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm Reply

I tried this yesterday morning and was quite pleased with the results as far as taste goes. The texture I have to work on because I think I let it get a little too hard before I started breaking it up. But definitely something I can work with! Thank you!

19. Mcooks July 30, 2014 at 10:53 am Reply

Yay! After reintroducing eggs the other day, I have verified that I CANNOT eat them. I was soooo disappointed, but just made your vegan scrambled eggs. They’re a great! I’ll keep this in mind for a quick, nourishing breakfast, lunch or dinner. Thank you so much! :-)

• Lauren July 30, 2014 at 6:29 pm Reply

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing your experience with the recipe! :)

20. […] I knew as soon as I saw this recipe for chickpea flour-based Vegan Scrambled ‘Eggs’ that I had to give them a […]