Vegan Scrambled ‘Eggs’ (Soy-Free)

This little dish came about completely by accident.

I was trying to take my chickpea ‘egg’ idea to a whole new level and create an omelet. Well, in the midst of flipping it over, the ‘omelet’ broke, leaving me with smaller bites that resembled scrambled egg pieces.

With the addition of a few vegetables, this dish is a great alternative to traditional scrambled eggs for vegans or those of you with allergies to eggs.

Vegan Scrambled 'Eggs' with Kale and Mushrooms
Serves: 1 portion
  • 4 t. coconut oil, divided
  • 5 T. chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour)
  • 6 T. water
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • ¼ c. mushrooms, chopped
  • ¼ c. kale, chopped
  • sea salt or Indian black salt, to taste (I used about ¼ teaspoon)
  • black pepper, to taste
  1. Heat two teaspoons of coconut oil in a small non-stick skillet.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the chickpea flour with the water, scallion, and a couple pinches of black salt or regular sea salt and pepper.
  3. Add the mushrooms into the skillet, and let them cook for about five minutes.
  4. Add the remaining two teaspoons of coconut oil to the pan.
  5. Pour the chickpea/scallion mix into the skillet, and let it cook without touching it for 3-5 minutes, or until you see the perimeter begin to 'set'.
  6. Sprinkle the kale into the skillet.
  7. Using a spatula, begin breaking the mix into smaller bite-size pieces.
  8. Heat the 'eggs' until they are cooked through (no batter in sight).
  9. Salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: 1 portion Calories: 208 Fat: 19 g Saturated fat: 15.7 g Unsaturated fat: 3.3 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 9 g Sugar: 1.6 g Sodium: 15 mg Fiber: 2.5 g Protein: 3.2 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

If you’re interested in getting the classic ‘sulfur’ flavor of real eggs, this black salt has minerals in it that can help make that happen, but the dish is delicious without it as well.

The ‘eggs’ turn out soft yet substantial, without being rubbery, like some real eggs can be. The addition of the mushrooms and kale add both nutrition and flavor, and the bean-based flour adds a good amount of protein to the dish. It even has a natural yellow color! 😀

Have you ever tried an egg substitute? If so, which one?

For those of you interested in the chickpea/garbanzo bean flour, I use this one and have had consistently good results!

Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday, Whole Food Friday, Allergy-Free Wednesday

This looks awesome. I have seen a few chickpea type egg substitute breakfast dishes on interest but never got around to trying. I will definitely try this soon, I love chickpea flour and I have a huge soy-allergy!

2. Sheelagh says

Thank you so much for this! I recently discovered I’m allergic eggs and thought I’d never get to enjoy the goodness of scrambled eggs again. I just whipped up this recipe and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for making my day!

Thank you Sheelagh! I have to rotate my foods, so this makes a great substitute for me as well. I’m so happy you enjoyed it! I hope you’re doing well! 😀

I accidentally made this too last night trying to make socca! It fell apart in the pan and I tasted it and was pleasantly surprised to find it tasted like scrambled eggs. Thanks for the recipe though, because it confirmed my suspicion.

4. Heather says

This sounds amazing, but I hate mushrooms (I know…I’ve tried to like them, but it all goes back to my childhood. Long story). Do you think I could use nutritional yeast to give it some extra flavor in the mushrooms’ place? Really, I was always a purist and liked scrambled eggs alone, or with some cheese anyway. I was also thinking about trying to incorporate some seawee in place of the black salt to give it some egg taste.

Chickpea flour…what can’t it do?? I’m glad that there are some really inventive vegans out there to help me through my newly discovered soy allergy.

Hi Heather,

You could add in practically any veggie you’d like! I’m not sure if seaweed would emulate the black salt flavor though…the black salt has a ‘sulfur’ taste that is really similar to what is in eggs.

I know what you mean about chickpea flour, I LOVE it! 😀

I am really excited to try this. I realized that after eating an omelet I get stomach pains so I may be sensitive to eggs. Great idea!

6. Mr. Holipsism says

I tried this yesterday morning and was quite pleased with the results as far as taste goes. The texture I have to work on because I think I let it get a little too hard before I started breaking it up. But definitely something I can work with! Thank you!

7. Mcooks says

Yay! After reintroducing eggs the other day, I have verified that I CANNOT eat them. I was soooo disappointed, but just made your vegan scrambled eggs. They’re a great! I’ll keep this in mind for a quick, nourishing breakfast, lunch or dinner. Thank you so much! :-)

8. Chelsea Hammond says

This recipe saved me! My daughter is 2 years old and allergic to eggs, but when she was little before we knew she was allergic we had given her eggs and she LOOOOOVED them. I have been searching an alternative to scrambled eggs and found this. She loves this, minus the veggies and adding ketchup. Not to mention, she is the pickiest eater ever and doesn’t eat veggies or meat really. Thank you so much for this post. Now shes not only getting protein but thinking she is eating “eggs” with mommy.

9. lauren says

OMG I MISS SCRAMBLED EGGS!!!! I dont have black salt, but just sea salt and pepper…also not a fan of mushrooms or scallions!! lol do they really make the dish or do you think I could use chickpea flour, s&p, kale, maybe red onion? I happen to have that on hand..not sure if any other spices would help? garlic powder? not sure if that’s random but omg if i could have ‘eggs’ again my life would be so happy!!

Hi Lauren,

The red onion would be good and maybe another veggie you like? The technique with the chickpea flour is what gives this recipe its eggy-ness, so the vegetables aren’t a huge deal. I hope you like it if you try it! :)

10. lauren says

Okay, posting an update because these were awesome!! I used olive oil (I know bad to use at high temp) and I used red onions and frozen chopped kale, and salt and pepper (question Lauren–where can you get indian black salt?? I want to purchase some!) and that was it and it was delicious and filling! I’ve seen some other recipes for zucchini as well thrown in..I’m def goign to play around with the recipe but enjoyed. I also waited a little long before i broke it up and flipped it because some of it was a little more well done, but nonetheless, I still enjoyed it for breakfast on sunday morning! :)

I love to read your comments!