Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies

Lately, my desserts have been a rotation of raw treats.

r1

Raw Fudge Brownies, Chocolate Cookie Bars, and now these cookies. I was inspired by my husband’s love for cashews and his need for some simple treats/snacks to take with him to work.

r2

I previously thought I was allergic to cashews, but after a series of allergy testing, including IgG, IgE, and IgA panels, that didn’t show any reaction, I have added them back into my diet on a limited basis. Though I often see them referred to as a nut, they are actually a seed. They grow out of the bottom of cashew apples, which is not exactly a fruit, but rather an accessory to a fruit, similar to a tentacle on a strawberry.

r4

I love these frozen, but my husband enjoys them at room temperature. Either way, they make a delicious and healthy treat!

Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies with Homemade Chocolate Chips

Serves: 6 cookies
  • ½ c. raw cashews, ground into flour
  • ½ c. oats, ground into flour
  • 1 T. + 2 t. maple syrup
  • 2 T. coconut oil
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • ¾ t. vanilla
  • 3 T. chocolate chips (homemade, cacao nibs, or chopped dark chocolate)
  1. Stir all of the ingredients together until well combined.
  2. Form six cookies.
  3. Place on a wax paper-lined plate and freeze or refrigerate until set.
  4. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 175 Fat: 11.8 g Saturated fat: 6.1 g Unsaturated fat: 5.7 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 15.3 g Sugar: 6.7 g Sodium: 46 mg Fiber: 1.2 g Protein: 3 g Cholesterol: 1 mg

I used homemade chocolate chips, but to make these easier, just use pre-made cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate.

r5

I use my coffee grinder to make the cashews and oats into flour, making these that much easier to put together. As much as I love using my food processor, I hate cleaning it!

r3

Do you make raw desserts often? If so, what’s your favorite?

Shared with: Natural Living Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Raw Foods Thursday, The Pennywise Platter

Comments

1. Susan says

I’m in the club, too, for not liking to clean my food processor. I would have to use my Magic Bullet instead. If I could figure out how to get more protein in these I would definitely make them. The flavor sounds wonderful. And I’m glad to hear that you really aren’t allergic to cashews, since they are very useful, versatile and taste wonderful.

• Marisa says

I make something similar to these but add chia seeds, maca powder, dried goji berries, whole oats and cocoa nibs. They taste like cookies, but I call them Energy bites so I don’t feel guilty eating them whenever I want 😉 You could also add flax seeds, hemp seeds, etc to up the nutritional value.

I love how many raw recipes you’re doing lately! I’m assuming that you have found raw food suits you well? I definitely enjoy eating raw when I can – if I don’t have the inclination or time to make raw meals, I at least make sure my treats are raw. Last week I made Oh She Glows’ raw almond butter cups, so when they’re done I will give these a go for sure!

Hi Anna! I was just thinking of you this morning… Yes, the raw desserts are more digestible for me, so I’m kinda going crazy with them! 😀 Hope you’re well!

3. Heather says

These look AMAZING!! I turned on the oven today, for the first time since moving to AZ, and quickly regretted it. It made my little place soo hot!! So I am super stoked to find a raw chocolate chip cookie! I think I’ll need to get some cashews tomorrow so I can try these out!

I found this through Linda’s Gluten Free Wednesdays! :)

4. Kim Garner says

Can you recommend any substitutions (nut or seed) for the cashews? I suspect my 18 month old has a bit of an allergy to them. Almonds and walnuts are ok for her.

5. Nadia says

OMG I doubled this recipe and made them oatmeal raisin instead of chocolate chip. I added a handful of whole oats for texture, raisins, a pinch more of pink salt and a good amount of cinnamon. Seriously the BEST oatmeal cookie Iv ever had! The base for these is so versatile that I’m already thinking of all different kinds of cookies to make with it. Easy simple and delish! Yum!

I’m so happy you enjoyed them Nadia, and your changes sound delicious too. I’ve always favored oatmeal raisin myself. :-)

6. Lillian says

Just out of curiosity, if I’m not crazy about cashews, could I substitute another nut? Walnuts or almonds perhaps?

Either way, these sound amazing and they’re totally going on my list of desserts to try to make. 😀

Sure! If you choose walnuts, you may be able to reduce the amount of coconut oil, as walnuts have more fat than cashews. I hope you enjoy them! :-)

We have just become gf and are experimenting. Can’t wait to try these cookies! Have tried three times to make bread with new bread machine – finally, the fourth time was a charm and still lots of work ahead!! In just one week have felt better than I have in years, my husband also.

8. Debbie says

Hi! These look yummy. Do you think that I could replace the cashews with powdered peanut butter like pb2 as I am intolerant to chasews. If so, would it be 1/4 cup? Thanks

9. Debbie says

Thanks for your quick reply…just wondering what amount of powdered peanut butter to use? How much cashew flour dose the recipe yield? Thanks

I’m not really sure offhand, but I would start with three tablespoons of pb2 and add from there. It should be between 3-4 tablespoons. :)

10. Eswari Lawson says

Hi Lauren, I hate baking and have to be dragged into the kitchen if I need to cook. This, I must say, was simple even for a lazy person like me. It was soooo good and made me feel like masterchef and satisfied my sugar craving. Thank you Lauren. Going to try more of your recipes.

• Nina says

Hi, I ended up making raw chocolate chunks to add in
        1/3C mixed coconut oil & cacao butter both melted in a double boiler
        1/3C cacao powder mixed in
        1t vanilla powder
        1t ea maple syrup, coconut nectar, raw honey (add up to 1Tbsp) all melted.

Mix everything and freeze, break apart when ready.

11. Jason B says

Just made these with cacao nibs. The dough never made it into cookie forms… I ate it all first! Not good for the waistline but the dough was so good!

Trackbacks