Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies

Lately, my desserts have been a rotation of raw treats.

r1

Raw Fudge Brownies, Chocolate Cookie Bars, and now these cookies. I was inspired by my husband’s love for cashews and his need for some simple treats/snacks to take with him to work.

r2

I previously thought I was allergic to cashews, but after a series of allergy testing, including IgG, IgE, and IgA panels, that didn’t show any reaction, I have added them back into my diet on a limited basis. Though I often see them referred to as a nut, they are actually a seed. They grow out of the bottom of cashew apples, which is not exactly a fruit, but rather an accessory to a fruit, similar to a tentacle on a strawberry.

r4

I love these frozen, but my husband enjoys them at room temperature. Either way, they make a delicious and healthy treat!

Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies with Homemade Chocolate Chips

Serves: 6 cookies
  • ½ c. raw cashews, ground into flour
  • ½ c. oats, ground into flour
  • 1 T. + 2 t. maple syrup
  • 2 T. coconut oil
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • ¾ t. vanilla
  • 3 T. chocolate chips (homemade, cacao nibs, or chopped dark chocolate)
  1. Stir all of the ingredients together until well combined.
  2. Form six cookies.
  3. Place on a wax paper-lined plate and freeze or refrigerate until set.
  4. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 175 Fat: 11.8 g Saturated fat: 6.1 g Unsaturated fat: 5.7 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 15.3 g Sugar: 6.7 g Sodium: 46 mg Fiber: 1.2 g Protein: 3 g Cholesterol: 1 mg

I used homemade chocolate chips, but to make these easier, just use pre-made cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate.

r5

I use my coffee grinder to make the cashews and oats into flour, making these that much easier to put together. As much as I love using my food processor, I hate cleaning it!

r3

Do you make raw desserts often? If so, what’s your favorite?

Shared with: Natural Living Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Raw Foods Thursday, The Pennywise Platter

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Karen July 22, 2013 at 5:43 am Reply

These look great but we can’t eat oats in our family…..any good sub ideas?

2. Amanda July 22, 2013 at 6:20 am Reply

Ugh, I hate cleaning my food processor too! It doesn’t even take that long – I’m just lazy. ;)
    I love the simplicity of these cookies. Cashews are so versatile!
    Amanda recently posted..Homemade Trader Joe’s Fruit Floes: Coconut Water PopsiclesMy Profile

3. freshlifefindings July 22, 2013 at 6:21 am Reply

These look delicious! I hate cleaning my food processor too ;)

4. Susan July 22, 2013 at 7:27 am Reply

I’m in the club, too, for not liking to clean my food processor. I would have to use my Magic Bullet instead. If I could figure out how to get more protein in these I would definitely make them. The flavor sounds wonderful. And I’m glad to hear that you really aren’t allergic to cashews, since they are very useful, versatile and taste wonderful.

• Lauren July 22, 2013 at 7:36 am Reply

I bet you could substitute protein powder for some of the ground oats to bump up the protein. :-)

• Susan July 22, 2013 at 7:48 am Reply

Thanks, Lauren. That’s a great idea! (I really wasn’t sure about the best way to do that.)

• Marisa July 22, 2013 at 9:20 am Reply

I make something similar to these but add chia seeds, maca powder, dried goji berries, whole oats and cocoa nibs. They taste like cookies, but I call them Energy bites so I don’t feel guilty eating them whenever I want ;) You could also add flax seeds, hemp seeds, etc to up the nutritional value.

5. Davida @The Healthy Maven July 22, 2013 at 7:32 am Reply

awesome recipe! I don’t eat raw desserts often but I definitely do for snacks. So easy! Every time I grind nuts in my food processor I think it’s going to break. It’s definitely on it’s last leg.
    Davida @The Healthy Maven recently posted..{MIMM} Weekend Recap 07/19-07/21My Profile

6. Anna @ Your Healthy Place July 22, 2013 at 9:56 am Reply

I love how many raw recipes you’re doing lately! I’m assuming that you have found raw food suits you well? I definitely enjoy eating raw when I can – if I don’t have the inclination or time to make raw meals, I at least make sure my treats are raw. Last week I made Oh She Glows’ raw almond butter cups, so when they’re done I will give these a go for sure!

• Lauren July 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm Reply

Hi Anna! I was just thinking of you this morning… Yes, the raw desserts are more digestible for me, so I’m kinda going crazy with them! :-D Hope you’re well!

7. Kim July 22, 2013 at 10:55 am Reply

This is a perfect working mom cookie recipe! Can’t wait to try them!

8. Deanna July 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm Reply

Yum! These looking amazing. Pinning them and am going to check out the other recipes on your site.
    Deanna recently posted..Menu PlanMy Profile

9. Matt Tabor July 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply

These look amazing! I love cashews. I’ve been so addicted to cashew butter lately.
    Matt Tabor recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

10. Vanessa - Natural Family Today July 24, 2013 at 6:44 am Reply

Wow, and no baking? These are a no-brainer! I found this at Allergy Free Wednesday, thanks for sharing!
    Vanessa – Natural Family Today recently posted..Introduction to AmaranthMy Profile

11. Heather July 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm Reply

These look AMAZING!! I turned on the oven today, for the first time since moving to AZ, and quickly regretted it. It made my little place soo hot!! So I am super stoked to find a raw chocolate chip cookie! I think I’ll need to get some cashews tomorrow so I can try these out!

I found this through Linda’s Gluten Free Wednesdays! :)

• Lauren July 24, 2013 at 8:46 pm Reply

Haha! I’m in AZ too, so I know what you mean. :-D

12. Brilliant, Lauren! If I were not on vacation, I’d make these immediately. ;-) Can’t wait to try them when I get home! :-0

xo,
    Shirley
    Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts recently posted..Purple Cow … Gluten-Free Easily (GFE) StyleMy Profile

13. Gabby @ the veggie nook July 25, 2013 at 4:18 pm Reply

These look amazing Lauren! I hate cleaning my food processor too- my one problem with raw desserts! ;)
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..making (grain-free) banana pancakesMy Profile

14. Kim Garner July 27, 2013 at 5:13 pm Reply

Can you recommend any substitutions (nut or seed) for the cashews? I suspect my 18 month old has a bit of an allergy to them. Almonds and walnuts are ok for her.

• Lauren July 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

Hi Kim,
      Almonds or walnuts should both work out fine. Pecans might be nice in these too! :-)

15. [...] Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies from Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

16. Heather @Gluten-Free Cat July 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm Reply

Oh, delicious! When I unpack my food processor I’m making these! Until then, I must live through your pictures! I’ll be highlighting these tomorrow at Raw Foods Thursdays. Thanks so much for sharing them!!
    Heather @Gluten-Free Cat recently posted..Summer Veggie SkilletMy Profile

17. [...] Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies by Lauren of Oatmeal with a Fork [...]

18. Scott Morgan August 9, 2013 at 11:05 am Reply

I was out of oats so I used ground flax. VERY successful substitution :)

19. Nadia September 4, 2013 at 5:08 am Reply

OMG I doubled this recipe and made them oatmeal raisin instead of chocolate chip. I added a handful of whole oats for texture, raisins, a pinch more of pink salt and a good amount of cinnamon. Seriously the BEST oatmeal cookie Iv ever had! The base for these is so versatile that I’m already thinking of all different kinds of cookies to make with it. Easy simple and delish! Yum!

• Lauren September 7, 2013 at 7:23 am Reply

I’m so happy you enjoyed them Nadia, and your changes sound delicious too. I’ve always favored oatmeal raisin myself. :-)

20. Lillian September 10, 2013 at 5:40 am Reply

Just out of curiosity, if I’m not crazy about cashews, could I substitute another nut? Walnuts or almonds perhaps?

Either way, these sound amazing and they’re totally going on my list of desserts to try to make. :D

• Lauren September 10, 2013 at 7:09 am Reply

Sure! If you choose walnuts, you may be able to reduce the amount of coconut oil, as walnuts have more fat than cashews. I hope you enjoy them! :-)

21. […] Original recipe here. […]

22. […] raw cookie recipe is adapted from a recipe on the “Oatmeal with a Fork” blog:(http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/07/22/raw-chocolate-chip-cookies/) I added a twist to these cookies by putting dry cranberries in them (raisins would be good, […]

23. Bryna reisinger January 13, 2014 at 3:22 pm Reply

We have just become gf and are experimenting. Can’t wait to try these cookies! Have tried three times to make bread with new bread machine – finally, the fourth time was a charm and still lots of work ahead!! In just one week have felt better than I have in years, my husband also.

24. […] 6. Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies […]

25. Debbie May 23, 2014 at 12:18 pm Reply

Hi! These look yummy. Do you think that I could replace the cashews with powdered peanut butter like pb2 as I am intolerant to chasews. If so, would it be 1/4 cup? Thanks

• Lauren May 23, 2014 at 12:51 pm Reply

Hi Debbie,

I’ve never worked with pb2 before, so I’m not sure, but I imagine it would! :)

26. Debbie May 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm Reply

Thanks for your quick reply…just wondering what amount of powdered peanut butter to use? How much cashew flour dose the recipe yield? Thanks

• Lauren May 23, 2014 at 1:16 pm Reply

I’m not really sure offhand, but I would start with three tablespoons of pb2 and add from there. It should be between 3-4 tablespoons. :)

27. Eswari Lawson June 10, 2014 at 5:21 am Reply

Hi Lauren, I hate baking and have to be dragged into the kitchen if I need to cook. This, I must say, was simple even for a lazy person like me. It was soooo good and made me feel like masterchef and satisfied my sugar craving. Thank you Lauren. Going to try more of your recipes.

• Lauren June 10, 2014 at 6:00 pm Reply

That’s great Eswari, thanks for your comment! :)