Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo)

Ahhh, I-scream.

ice111

That’s what I felt like doing when I finally nailed this recipe. I often set a goal or two when making a recipe. It can be anything from ‘make it under four tablespoons of sweetener’ to ‘don’t use coconut milk’, both of which just happen to have been my goals for this concoction.

This creation started out with random jottings of how much fat was in a can of coconut milk in relation to the fat grams in an avocado or a tablespoon of coconut oil. You see, I do love and use coconut milk (the canned variety), but I still don’t fully trust it. The only full-fat versions I have found all contain guar gum, which I abhor, and the homemade variety lacks the thickness that I seek. I’m also on high alert for BPA, though I know there are ‘BPA-free’ varieties. To be honest, I’m suspicious of the entire food industry, but that’s another post.

ice33

Essentially, what I wanted to do here was create an ice cream using my own homemade milk. After many failed trials employing anything from beans to arrowroot, I called upon my old friend, the avocado.

In studying some of my prior posts, I can tell that many people are turned off by the addition of avocados to sweets. You need not be. I have found that the key to hiding the taste altogether is to choose avocados that are only slightly soft, even a bit under-ripe. The flavor is then completely masked by whatever is added to it, leaving you with a rich and creamy treat that you know is healthy, but that tastes sinful (sorry to be so dramatic) :-)!

Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream

Serves: 4 servings
  • 2 avocados, slightly soft, even a bit under-ripe
  • ½ c. + 3 T. homemade or store-bought milk, such as almond or hemp
  • 2 T. coconut oil, in liquid form
  • 4 T. raw honey or maple syrup
  • 2 T. cocoa powder (use cacao to make this raw)
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
  1. Process or blend all of the ingredients until smooth and well combined.
  2. At this point, you can either churn the mix in your ice cream maker or pour it into a container and freeze until hardened. If you choose the latter, the ice cream will be denser, but it stills tastes great!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk and honey. Weight Watchers points (new system): 8
Serving size: ¼ of the recipe Calories: 297 Fat: 22.3 g Saturated fat: 8.2 g Unsaturated fat: 14.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 27.7 g Sugar: 18.1 g Sodium: 98 mg Fiber: 7.8 g Protein: 2.7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

As I stated above, you can skip the ice cream maker, but the ice cream will be a bit denser. If you let it freeze until hard, be sure to take it out about 10 minutes before you plan on eating it. This gives it a chance to soften a bit.

ice44

Optionally, you can add in chocolate chips, nuts, and homemade marshmallows to make your own rocky road!….just a thought.

ice22

My true test with sweets is often if my oldest daughter will eat it. She absolutely loved this recipe!….as we all did. If she can’t detect the avocado, I’d bet no one can. πŸ˜€

What’s your favorite way to eat ice cream?

Shared with: Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Healthy Vegan Friday, Wellness Weekend, Raw Foods Thursday

Β

Β

Β

Β

Comments

1. cindy says

this is definitely a must try…..
    im off to the market for just the right avocados….
    thanks for the share!

2. Lori Callahan says

I couldn’t wait to comment on this recipe. I have so many food allergies that I have made many different recipes from many different things. This by FAR the BEST version of an ice cream I have made. I used unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage(not canned) as I was out of Almond milk. Lauren’s insistence about the under ripe avocados will be appreciated when you taste the final product. Having made so many different versions of ice cream I want to point out that the precise measurements given need to be respected. It is evident that Lauren spent MAJOR time getting this right. When I tasted the batter before putting it in the ice cream maker, I almost stopped right there. That’s when I realized I wanted to make sure others understood the need for the less than ripe avocados. The batter alone could be used for a creamy pudding. My gluten free, soy free, egg free, dairy free, peanut free freaky adult onset food allergic body and soul thank you!

This is one of the best, if not the best, comments/compliments I’ve ever received! Thank you so much for your thoughtful words Lori. I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe! πŸ˜€

3. Lori Callahan says

Just wanted to tell you I made this AGAIN last night…..you will laugh….but I ate this with store bought plain corn tortilla chips….the salty with the chocolate…yummm….it was like having ice cream with a broken waffle cone. Sounds strange, but I have been 6 years now without treats like these….don’t be afraid to experiment!!!!

Oh my gosh, I totally get it. I love vanilla ice cream with saltines for the same reason!! Again, I’m so happy that you enjoy the ice cream! Thanks for sharing your experiences. πŸ˜€

Yum, looks delicious! By the way, I use the brand Real Thai coconut milk, it doesn’t contain any gums or additives, just coconut. Also, I think Aroy-D is just coconut with no additives too.
    Claire recently posted..Tarragon PestoMy Profile

• mer p says

I couldn’t agree more. one of the hardest things about everything paleo is that neither my husband nor I can stand the flavor of coconut :(

This recipe is also a fantastic base for any chocolate based ice cream you love (as lauren mentions) may I recommend a bit of hazelnut extract and some toasted & salted chopped hazelnuts on top? Yup, it become nutella ice cream!

5. Alix says

Wow just gave this a shot tonight and it was so good! I only used three spoons of raw honey and it was sweet enough. Thanks again :)

6. KE says

Hi Lauren,
    I have a coconut allergy so I’m wondering if you have any ideas for a sub for the coconut oil. Other than that, this looks like something I can have despite all my allergies and I can’t wait to make it! Thanks so much for posting this!

• Pam says

My daughter can not stand the taste of coconut at all. I have found that coconut milk does not have much coconut flavor to it but she is a bit unwilling to risk it. I saw the post to substitute with butter. My question would be, can it be vegan butter? We no longer use any animal products, so I am reluctant to use real butter.

Hi Pam,

I’m not sure, as I’ve never worked with vegan butter. My guess is that it would be okay though!

7. KE says

Hi again! Just wanted to say thanks for the great recipe. The butter worked fine. The first time I made this (a couple days ago) it was great – the only thing I would improve on was the strength of the avocado taste. I think it may have been because I used two very large avocados (or maybe they were too under ripe). I am going to try one next time. The texture was awesome, though! I tried making pistachio today. I used this recipe as a base with one large avocado, left out the cocoa powder, and added 1/2 tsp of almond extract and a few pistachios to the blender (then added more pistachios to the ice cream later). It turned out pretty good. Do you have a recipe for pistachio posted somewhere? Thx again Lauren!

8. KE says

Oh yeah, one more thing. I tried adding orange oil to neutralize the avocado taste a bit in my first batch. It was REALLY good with the chocolate flavor. I also tried adding mint oil, and that wasn’t bad either. I need to try the chocolate again with one avocado.

Hi KE,

I’m glad you liked the recipe, and that you found changes that suited you. The only other flavor I’ve tried is mint chocolate chip. The pistachio sounds delicious though, I just can’t do almond in any form. Thanks for your feedback! :)

9. KE says

I’d love to see your mint chip recipe! I made chocolate again yesterday… used one (big) avocado and a little more than 2 T chocolate and it was PERFECT! I want to eat some for breakfast. It was definitely the size of my avocados. :-)

10. Sara says

I just made this today cause it was getting hot in here and my avocados are getting soft. XD

Even though the mixture hasn’t been churned it already tastes heavenly!!! Since I didn’t have nay nut milk at hand, I used full-fat coconut milk. The resulting mixture has a slightly coconut taste but I didn’t mind it. :) It is currently in the fridge now and I can’t wait to try some of it tomorrow! Thanks for sharing this recipe on your blog! :)

Trackbacks

1. […] the Onion Layers asks, “Lacto-Fermented Foods: Are They Really Good for YOU?” This Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream is healthy for you too! By Lauren of Oatmeal With A Fork. Have you been featured as an H2W […]