Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo)

Ahhh, I-scream.

ice111

That’s what I felt like doing when I finally nailed this recipe. I often set a goal or two when making a recipe. It can be anything from ‘make it under four tablespoons of sweetener’ to ‘don’t use coconut milk’, both of which just happen to have been my goals for this concoction.

This creation started out with random jottings of how much fat was in a can of coconut milk in relation to the fat grams in an avocado or a tablespoon of coconut oil. You see, I do love and use coconut milk (the canned variety), but I still don’t fully trust it. The only full-fat versions I have found all contain guar gum, which I abhor, and the homemade variety lacks the thickness that I seek. I’m also on high alert for BPA, though I know there are ‘BPA-free’ varieties. To be honest, I’m suspicious of the entire food industry, but that’s another post.

ice33

Essentially, what I wanted to do here was create an ice cream using my own homemade milk. After many failed trials employing anything from beans to arrowroot, I called upon my old friend, the avocado.

In studying some of my prior posts, I can tell that many people are turned off by the addition of avocados to sweets. You need not be. I have found that the key to hiding the taste altogether is to choose avocados that are only slightly soft, even a bit under-ripe. The flavor is then completely masked by whatever is added to it, leaving you with a rich and creamy treat that you know is healthy, but that tastes sinful (sorry to be so dramatic) :-)!

Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream

Serves: 4 servings
  • 2 avocados, slightly soft, even a bit under-ripe
  • ½ c. + 3 T. homemade or store-bought milk, such as almond or hemp
  • 2 T. coconut oil, in liquid form
  • 4 T. raw honey or maple syrup
  • 2 T. cocoa powder (use cacao to make this raw)
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
  1. Process or blend all of the ingredients until smooth and well combined.
  2. At this point, you can either churn the mix in your ice cream maker or pour it into a container and freeze until hardened. If you choose the latter, the ice cream will be denser, but it stills tastes great!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk and honey. Weight Watchers points (new system): 8
Serving size: ¼ of the recipe Calories: 297 Fat: 22.3 g Saturated fat: 8.2 g Unsaturated fat: 14.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 27.7 g Sugar: 18.1 g Sodium: 98 mg Fiber: 7.8 g Protein: 2.7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Inspired by this recipe

As I stated above, you can skip the ice cream maker, but the ice cream will be a bit denser. If you let it freeze until hard, be sure to take it out about 10 minutes before you plan on eating it. This gives it a chance to soften a bit.

ice44

Optionally, you can add in chocolate chips, nuts, and homemade marshmallows to make your own rocky road!….just a thought.

ice22

My true test with sweets is often if my oldest daughter will eat it. She absolutely loved this recipe!….as we all did. If she can’t detect the avocado, I’d bet no one can. :-D

What’s your favorite way to eat ice cream?

Shared with: Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Healthy Vegan Friday, Wellness Weekend, Raw Foods Thursday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Gabby @ the veggie nook August 19, 2013 at 5:34 am Reply

What a great recipe! I tend to be skeptical of the food industry as well- I just figure I will do what I can accept that that is ok :)

This recipe is wonderful! Good tip on the avocados- I have tried using too ride avos in sweet things and the result is horrendous!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..guest post at green thickies: mint chocolate chip green smoothieMy Profile

2. Davida @The Healthy Maven August 19, 2013 at 8:17 am Reply

Is it too late in the season to buy an ice cream maker? I seriously need to make this!
    Davida @The Healthy Maven recently posted..{MIMM} Weekend Recap 08/16-08/18My Profile

• Lauren August 19, 2013 at 10:00 am Reply

It’s never too late for ice cream! :-D

3. Amber August 19, 2013 at 8:57 am Reply

Wow, that does look perfect, Lauren. Great job!!! Love using avocado with chocolate. I have to say, it makes for a very rich, creamy texture.

–Amber
    Amber recently posted..Zughetti with Mushroom Fennel Pasta Sauce (SCD/GAPS/Paleo)My Profile

4. stephanie August 19, 2013 at 11:28 am Reply

Just made this, can’t wait to see how it turns out!!! The batter is YUMMY! :D

• Lauren August 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm Reply

Lol, can’t wait to hear what you think Stephanie! :-D

5. cindy August 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm Reply

this is definitely a must try…..
    im off to the market for just the right avocados….
    thanks for the share!

6. Emily August 19, 2013 at 11:56 pm Reply

Wow this looks great, I will have to make it soon.
    Anyone can enjoy vegan food if they have the right recipes like the ones here:
    There are some amazing vegan desserts there amongst other stuff…

7. […] Full recipe here: Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo) […]

8. Lori Callahan August 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply

I couldn’t wait to comment on this recipe. I have so many food allergies that I have made many different recipes from many different things. This by FAR the BEST version of an ice cream I have made. I used unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage(not canned) as I was out of Almond milk. Lauren’s insistence about the under ripe avocados will be appreciated when you taste the final product. Having made so many different versions of ice cream I want to point out that the precise measurements given need to be respected. It is evident that Lauren spent MAJOR time getting this right. When I tasted the batter before putting it in the ice cream maker, I almost stopped right there. That’s when I realized I wanted to make sure others understood the need for the less than ripe avocados. The batter alone could be used for a creamy pudding. My gluten free, soy free, egg free, dairy free, peanut free freaky adult onset food allergic body and soul thank you!

• Lauren August 20, 2013 at 7:36 pm Reply

This is one of the best, if not the best, comments/compliments I’ve ever received! Thank you so much for your thoughtful words Lori. I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe! :-D

9. Lizzy Allan August 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm Reply

Wow, ice-cream with avocado – what an awesome recipe!
    Lizzy Allan recently posted..The Secret Ingredient Gluten-Free Choc Chip CookiesMy Profile

10. Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reply

Well I love avocados in sweets! :) The chocolate always covers it up so why not?

And this ice cream looks amazing! Love how healthy it is.
    Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Peanut Butter, Strawberry and Banana QuesadillasMy Profile

11. Lori Callahan August 23, 2013 at 6:43 am Reply

Just wanted to tell you I made this AGAIN last night…..you will laugh….but I ate this with store bought plain corn tortilla chips….the salty with the chocolate…yummm….it was like having ice cream with a broken waffle cone. Sounds strange, but I have been 6 years now without treats like these….don’t be afraid to experiment!!!!

• Lauren August 23, 2013 at 7:48 am Reply

Oh my gosh, I totally get it. I love vanilla ice cream with saltines for the same reason!! Again, I’m so happy that you enjoy the ice cream! Thanks for sharing your experiences. :-D

12. Heather @Gluten-Free Cat August 23, 2013 at 9:32 am Reply

Ooh, you’re killing me here. I don’t know where I’d fit an ice cream maker, but I’d sure love to make this!!!
    Heather @Gluten-Free Cat recently posted..Raw Foods Thursdays: 8/22/13My Profile

13. Claire August 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reply

Yum, looks delicious! By the way, I use the brand Real Thai coconut milk, it doesn’t contain any gums or additives, just coconut. Also, I think Aroy-D is just coconut with no additives too.
    Claire recently posted..Tarragon PestoMy Profile

14. Adrienne @ Whole New Mom August 24, 2013 at 9:02 am Reply

Sharing on FB right now – YUM!
    Adrienne @ Whole New Mom recently posted..The Natural Remedy that Beat AntibioticsMy Profile

• Lauren August 24, 2013 at 9:44 am Reply

Thank you! :-D

15. christine August 24, 2013 at 9:55 am Reply

Thank you for posting a recipe without coconut milk. I miss the taste of real ice cream (without coconut cream) and I’m excited to try this recipe.

By the way, when we do use canned coconut milk, we use this one (no fillers or thickeners) from our local Natural Grocers: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Value-Coconut-13-5-Ounce-Containers/dp/B000LKVIEG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1377362860&sr=8-10&keywords=coconut+milk

• Lauren August 24, 2013 at 10:06 am Reply

Thank you Christine! I’ll keep that brand in mind. :-D

• mer p September 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm Reply

I couldn’t agree more. one of the hardest things about everything paleo is that neither my husband nor I can stand the flavor of coconut :(

This recipe is also a fantastic base for any chocolate based ice cream you love (as lauren mentions) may I recommend a bit of hazelnut extract and some toasted & salted chopped hazelnuts on top? Yup, it become nutella ice cream!

16. […] Ahhh, I-scream. That's what I felt like doing when I finally nailed this recipe. I often set a goal or two when making a recipe. It can be anything from 'make it under four tablespoons of sweetener…  […]

17. Sunday Snippets August 24, 2013 at 5:10 pm Reply

[…] Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo) from Oatmeal with a Fork. This looks really interesting and good! […]

18. […] the Onion Layers asks, “Lacto-Fermented Foods: Are They Really Good for YOU?” This Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream is healthy for you too! By Lauren of Oatmeal With A Fork. Have you been featured as an H2W […]

19. Healthy 2day Wednesdays August 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm Reply

20. […] the Onion Layers asks, “Lacto-Fermented Foods: Are They Really Good for YOU?” This Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream is healthy for you too! By Lauren of Oatmeal With A Fork. Have you been featured as an H2W […]

21. […] the Onion Layers asks, “Lacto-Fermented Foods: Are They Really Good for YOU?” This Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream is healthy for you too! By Lauren of Oatmeal With A Fork. Have you been featured as an H2W […]

22. […] Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream (V) from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

23. Beth October 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reply

Are you transitioning to a Paleo diet?

24. Alix February 19, 2014 at 10:44 pm Reply

Wow just gave this a shot tonight and it was so good! I only used three spoons of raw honey and it was sweet enough. Thanks again :)

• Lauren February 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reply

That’s awesome Alix, thanks for your feedback!

25. oh, hunny | ordinarily aimee May 15, 2014 at 11:25 am Reply

[…] I fixated on birthday cake(s) for a good hour, hour and a half… then lemon bars… then chocolate ice cream. I was clearly needing a snack. I ate an apple. […]

26. […] Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream – This ice cream is better than store bought and so much […]

27. KE June 24, 2014 at 6:36 pm Reply

Hi Lauren,
    I have a coconut allergy so I’m wondering if you have any ideas for a sub for the coconut oil. Other than that, this looks like something I can have despite all my allergies and I can’t wait to make it! Thanks so much for posting this!

• Lauren June 24, 2014 at 6:39 pm Reply

Hi KE,

Butter would be the next best substitute! I hope you enjoy it if you try it! :-)

28. KE June 24, 2014 at 6:46 pm Reply

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I can do butter. :-)

29. KE July 3, 2014 at 8:22 pm Reply

Hi again! Just wanted to say thanks for the great recipe. The butter worked fine. The first time I made this (a couple days ago) it was great – the only thing I would improve on was the strength of the avocado taste. I think it may have been because I used two very large avocados (or maybe they were too under ripe). I am going to try one next time. The texture was awesome, though! I tried making pistachio today. I used this recipe as a base with one large avocado, left out the cocoa powder, and added 1/2 tsp of almond extract and a few pistachios to the blender (then added more pistachios to the ice cream later). It turned out pretty good. Do you have a recipe for pistachio posted somewhere? Thx again Lauren!

30. KE July 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm Reply

Oh yeah, one more thing. I tried adding orange oil to neutralize the avocado taste a bit in my first batch. It was REALLY good with the chocolate flavor. I also tried adding mint oil, and that wasn’t bad either. I need to try the chocolate again with one avocado.

• Lauren July 4, 2014 at 7:18 am Reply

Hi KE,

I’m glad you liked the recipe, and that you found changes that suited you. The only other flavor I’ve tried is mint chocolate chip. The pistachio sounds delicious though, I just can’t do almond in any form. Thanks for your feedback! :)

31. KE July 6, 2014 at 6:49 am Reply

I’d love to see your mint chip recipe! I made chocolate again yesterday… used one (big) avocado and a little more than 2 T chocolate and it was PERFECT! I want to eat some for breakfast. It was definitely the size of my avocados. :-)

32. […] Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream from Oatmeal With a Fork […]