Paleo Chocolate Pudding Snacks

Chocolate pudding is a snack adored by both kids and adults.

pud111

This healthy version of it is made with the ever-popular ingredient, gelatin.

I’ve been taking gelatin on and off since I was a teenager, primarily for hair and nails, but it can also help in these areas:

• A kind of arthritis called osteoarthritis.
  • Brittle bones (osteoporosis).
  • Strengthening bones and joints.
  • Weight loss.
  • Shortening recovery after exercise and sports-related injury.

(source)

Gelatin boasts a high amount of protein, as well as collagen, both of which make it useful for the above ailments.

Though I wasn’t allowed to have junk food as a kid, I still managed to get my hands on someone’s Jell-O Pudding Snack, which is what today’s recipe is fashioned after.

pd3

When I was younger, I often found myself OVER-indulging in junk food when I had access to it, simply because I felt so deprived! I specifically remember a high school sleepover involving my best friend Holly, microwave burritos, and all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films. Needless to say, I didn’t sleep the best that night. :-)

pd2

This healthy alternative to the popular snack is sweetened with a modest amount of honey, and is absolutely delicious!

Chocolate Pudding Snacks

Serves: 2 pudding bowls
  • 1½ c. milk of choice, divided
  • 2 T. + 2 t. raw honey
  • 2 T. cocoa powder
  • 2¼ t. grass-fed gelatin powder
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 15 drops of liquid stevia (or 4 t. more honey)
  1. Warm one cup of the milk in a small saucepan.
  2. In a medium-size bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over ½ cup of cold milk and let stand about one minute.
  3. Stir the honey into the warmed milk until well combined.
  4. Stir the gelatin/milk mix until gelatin dissolves, and add in the warm milk mix, along with the rest of the ingredients.
  5. Stir until everything is well combined.
  6. Divide the mix between two small bowls, and place in the fridge until firm (1-2 hours).
  7. Top with extra shaved chocolate and coconut cream (if desired), and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk, six grams of gelatin, and stevia in lieu of more honey. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
Serving size: ½ recipe Calories: 136 Fat: 2.6 g Saturated fat: 0 g Unsaturated fat: 2.6 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 27.1 g Sugar: 23.4 g Sodium: 260 mg Fiber: 2.4 g Protein: 4.4 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

So would you rather have this….

pd9

…or this….

…why in the name of heaven are there red, yellow, and blue colorings in this??? The world may never know.

We had fun topping these with some shaved dark chocolate and vanilla coconut whipped cream, and at only 136 calories, there’s no guilt to be had for this little indulgence!

What unhealthy food have you ever overindulged in?

Aside from my burrito binge, my friends and I used to ride our bikes to the local convenience store and load up on everything from candy bars to beef jerky (ewww…).

Shared with: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Donna August 30, 2013 at 5:09 am Reply

Just….THANK YOU for providing me with a finally, personally “safe” solution/alternative to chocolate mousse….I love the newly-revived interest in the use of gelatin….the protein punch and low calories really appeal…Please keep giving us your brilliant ideas as they pop into your fertile mind!

• Lauren August 30, 2013 at 7:27 am Reply

Thank you Donna for the sweet comment! :-D I’m just happy to share the recipes that I enjoy and that work for me and my allergies.

2. Lisa August 30, 2013 at 8:32 am Reply

Can I just come over and you can cook for me :)

• Lauren August 30, 2013 at 8:36 am Reply

Lol! You guys should come back down and I’ll whip you up something yummy! :-D

3. Brooke August 30, 2013 at 9:41 am Reply

Hi! Just to be clear, is this the same gelatin that’s made from skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones from cows and pigs? I’m a vegetarian and just want to make sure there’s no new technology out there!

• Lauren August 30, 2013 at 10:41 am Reply

Yup, that’s the stuff!

4. Susan August 30, 2013 at 10:21 am Reply

This sounds delicious. I’m always looking for new snack ideas, so I’ll save this recipe. Not sure I want to invest in gelatin, though, because I would have very little use for it. I might try this with chia instead?

What haven’t I overindulged in? Many years ago I loved to make cornmeal mush, fried in bacon fat (I know, it sounds pretty bad to me, too – now). Hershey’s kisses. Raisins. Cashews. I’m grateful that I’m finding good ways to eat chocolate where I don’t overindulge.

• Lauren August 30, 2013 at 10:41 am Reply

Hahaha! Raisins are on my list too, but I’ve never tried the bacon fat-fried cornmeal! Is that a hush puppy?

I’m not sure about the chia for this…you may want to google ‘chocolate chia pudding’ instead. I actually just use Knox gelatin (not grass-fed), but it’s super cheap AND you can get it at just about any grocery store. I do believe the grass-fed is superior, but I haven’t invested in any yet either. :-)

5. Susan August 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm Reply

Thanks for the info, Lauren. I think I have a chocolate chia pudding recipe. I can see investing in Knox gelatin, and I’m pretty sure they’d have it at my grocery store, despite all the things they don’t carry.

The corn meal mush was not hushpuppies that I know of. I just cooked up the mush & then spread it out in a frying pan lined with bacon grease. I think I turned it so it would be crispy on both sides (it was back in 1970 or thereabouts, and I’ve not done that since). For those who want to be healthy, I would not recommend making or eating that. It was specifically something I did for eating binges back then.

6. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate August 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm Reply

LOL so jello has no actual gelatin in it?
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

• Lauren August 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reply

HAHAHAHA! I seriously laughed out loud to that.

7. Laura | My Little Gourmet August 31, 2013 at 5:08 am Reply

I love this list of ingredients…sounds so simple and comforting! And I had no idea gelatin was making a come-back. It’s used a lot in German recipes so tend to use it quite often, but without knowing it had actual benefits. Look at me, being all healthy and stuff. ;)

8. Dina August 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm Reply

great recipe. sounds yummy!
    Dina recently posted..Weekend Whets 8/30My Profile

9. Keira September 1, 2013 at 5:43 am Reply

Do you think you could substitute all stevia for the
    honey? Thanks so much for this recipe-can’t wait to try it!

• Lauren September 1, 2013 at 7:14 am Reply

Hi Keira (what a beautiful name, by the way!),
      I do think stevia would work! I would guess somewhere between 40-50 drops would make it sweet enough, but test as you go. I hope you enjoy it! :-D

10. amber September 3, 2013 at 9:51 am Reply

LOVE this recipe, Lauren!!! Your healthy version looks just marvelous (blah, look at that gross Jello).

Pinning this for later!!!

And I love gelatin too. So many health benefits. :-)
    amber recently posted..Snack Time: Sophisticated ~ Prosciutto Wrapped Figs w/ a Drizzle of HoneyMy Profile

11. […] Paleo Chocolate Pudding Snacks from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

12. Sunday Snippets September 13, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reply

[…] Paleo Chocolate Pudding Snacks from Oatmeal with A Fork. Wow! This looks good! […]

13. zosia September 19, 2013 at 8:40 am Reply

I was wondering if your pudding comes out “hard” like jell-o?
    Mine does and I followed the recipe to a “T”…

I’d like it to be a little less dense…Any suggestions? Or is it meant to “harden” to that jell-o consistency? Eithe way…it’s very good! I really like this recipe. Thank you.

• Lauren September 19, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reply

Hi Zosia,

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘hard’…the gelatin causes it to ‘set’ and be a firmer shape (like Jell-o) as opposed to being soft like say avocado pudding. Reducing the amount of gelatin may help if you want it softer, but I’m not sure how it would turn out. I’m happy you at least enjoyed the taste!

• Brian August 5, 2014 at 9:12 am Reply

I know what you mean. I use a recipe very similar to this and was put-off by the consistency the first time I made it. I ended up putting it all in my stand mixer with the whisk on and whip the bejesus out of it which produces a much more pleasing final texture. Just stop when it’s good for you. Takes less than 60 seconds.

14. Julie Meyers October 7, 2013 at 9:33 am Reply

Where do you find grass-fed gelatin?

• Lauren October 7, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reply

You can find it on Amazon, or regular grocery stores carry Knox gelatin (not grass-fed, but it works great!).

• Beth January 13, 2014 at 5:20 am Reply

For grass-fed gelatin, look for Great Lakes brand.

15. Misty October 13, 2013 at 9:01 am Reply

Interesting… I’m no cook at all and just about wreck everything I try, but have you or anyone else tried any add-ins? I found this while trying to see if I could find a German chocolate healthier pudding (yes, addicted to the Jell-o ones at the grocer…), so I wondered about putting coconut and pecans in this recipe. Would the coconut require any changes, for instance? Or would a chia base be better for add-ins? Any ideas?

• Lauren October 13, 2013 at 9:45 am Reply

I’ve not tried it, but I’m sure you could stir in whatever you’d like! No changes needed. :)

16. […] (Recipe and photo credit: Oatmeal with a Fork) […]

17. gina August 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm Reply

This is incredible! I’m going to try a vanilla pudding as well as carob version. I wonder how blueberry puree would fare – not to make a jello but rather a pudding. Will try. I think a creamy base (the non dairy milk) will work for that. We shall see! Thank you!

• Lauren August 12, 2014 at 5:08 pm Reply

I’m happy you like it Gina, and your variations sound delicious! :)