Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars (Vegan, Grain-Free)

‘Healthy Snickers’, she wrote.

Oh yes, it’s true! I told myself I wasn’t going to post this recipe until October, but I just couldn’t wait!

October is my absolute favorite month. Halloween, scary movies, costumes, pumpkins, ghosts, and witches galore…there is no greater joy for me!

Before my husband and I began dating, we actually worked together at a local health food store, and it was there that we connected on our love for all things ‘gore’ (our first movie date was Hostel). Each year, we look forward to the fun Halloween brings, and now that we have kids, we all have fun playing dress up when the 31st rolls around.

My husband’s absolute favorite Halloween candy is a Snickers bars, so I knew I needed to make a healthy version for all of us to enjoy this year.

If you make these, I truly believe they will blow your mind with their likeness to the real thing.

Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars (Vegan, Grain-Free)
Serves: 12 bars
  • 5 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 4 T. cocoa powder
  • 2 t. maple syrup
  • ⅛ t. salt
  • 4 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 T. milk of your choice
  • 3 T. maple syrup
  • ½ t. vanilla
  • ½ c. + 2 T. oats, ground into flour (use almond flour if grain-free)
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • 8 dates, Medjool
  • 2 T. peanut butter (I used salted so I didn't add any extra salt)
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 2 t. water
  • ¼ c. peanuts
  1. Mix together the ingredients for the chocolate base until well combined.
  2. Pour the mix into a small baking dish (I used 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
  3. Put the dish into the freezer until hard (about 10-15 minutes).
  4. Mix together the ingredients for the nougat layer until well combined.
  5. Pour the nougat layer onto the hardened chocolate base.
  6. Set in the freezer until the nougat layer is solid (1-2 hours).
  7. Process the ingredients for the caramel layer until well combined.
  8. Spread the caramel mix atop the hardened nougat layer (wet and use your hands for this, as it is very thick.
  9. Press the peanuts into the caramel, scattering them across the entire layer.
  10. Freeze again until set (about an hour).
  11. Cut into 12 equal bars and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using oats and unsweetened almond milk. Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 174 Fat: 13.6 g Saturated fat: 9.5 g Unsaturated fat: 4.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.2 g Sugar: 7.6 g Sodium: 59 mg Fiber: 1.8 g Protein: 2.5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

A crisp chocolate base, topped with a soft and sweet nougat layer, all topped by a creamy caramel layer with a bite of crunchy nuts. It is pure bliss.

I had originally intended to coat the entire bar in chocolate, but I thought they had more character this way. I love being able to see the layers and the peanuts on top. You also save on calories this way! ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m still undecided on my costume this year, but my daughter and I are leaning towards being big and small versions of Tinkerbell. ๐Ÿ˜€ I do, however, know what I’ll be snacking on.

What are you planning on dressing up as this year?

Shared with: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Healthy Vegan Friday, Raw Foods Thursdays, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Allergy-Free Wednesday

Wow, those look fantastic! I love snickers as well. I craved them when I was pregnant and I indulged, but now I’m off dairy so haven’t had one in a year. Definitely making these, the nougat layer looks awesome!!

These look SO good, Lauren! I can’t wait to make them! I have always loved Snickers and I remember sorting through my Halloween candy when I was little and always eating them first. Also, my dad is a Snickers fanatic, so I had to get to them before he did! haha

Thanks Amanda! I think my husband would be the same way with our daughters’ candy, so I’ll be making a couple of batches of these to stave him off. ๐Ÿ˜€

HI Lauren,

These look great. I’ve never had a Snickers Bar. I’m allergic to peanuts, so I would sadly lose half my trick or treating bounty. But that’s okay. I would usually trade for something. I hear Snickers are totally awesome. My husband remembers them being very yummy.

This looks like such a healthy alternative! You’re awesome Lauren. :-)

And PS…Halloween is my favorite time of year too. I dress up every year! Always! last year I was Jane Goodall. I haven’t found my costume yet this year, although I was thinking about Amelia Earhart. I might just default to a cowgirl, as my son wants to be a cowboy (again) so you just never know. There are usually multiple costumes changes for different Halloween events. :-)

Whoa! These look better than a Snickers bar in my opinion! Love how they use real, whole ingredients that I recognize and have laying around the house already! They need to happen. Then they need to be chopped up and put in a cookie!

If you cut the bars into 12 pieces, each bar has 174 calories. The nutritional information is always directly below the recipe instructions. :)

These look so lovely! I do love snickers but Halloween is about the only time I ever get them. And I have been wanting to try out a date based caramel. I am putting these on my to try list. :)

Snickers were definitely one of my trade-for candies when we trick-or-treated as kids…my sister didn’t like them so I’d give her my Good & Plenty and Milk Duds for her Snickers. Seems to me I got the better end of the deal but she was happy and we both ran on sugar highs for the next two weeks.
    Your Snickers Bars are superyumful…I want to cut them long and skinny and plop them on a lollipop stick like a Slo-Poke just for the screaming fun of it. :)

7. Vegan4Life says

Question,… The 1/4 cup peanuts listed in the caramel layer are for adding to the top when done mixing the actual caramel ingredients? Or do you mix them in with the caramel layer and then add additional peanuts to the top? Thank you in advance for your time, and thank you soooo much for sharing this recipe! :) I can’t wait to try it!

• Vegan4Life says

Okay, because you included the peanuts with the ingredients for the caramel so it makes it look as though they are supposed to processed with the rest of the ingredients and I was a bit confused. thanks for clearing that up. (Might be nice if you actually separate the peanuts ingredient from the caramel ingredients, or write next to them in parenthesis, that they are to be used as a topping) Again, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe! :)

The directions actually do state to just ‘press’ the peanuts into the caramel layer. Sorry if that was unclear to you.

• Vegan4Life says

Yes, I understand this NOW, but in reading the directions, #7 says to: Process the “ingredients” for the caramel layer until well combined. And so what I am seeing is those “ingredients” to include the 1/4 c. of peanuts. Then when you look at #8 it says to: Spread the caramel mix atop the hardened nougat layer. (Which at this point I am still thinking included the peanuts listed in the ingredients for the caramel mix) So this is why I asked the question, as well as thought that maybe you should separate the peanuts from the actual caramel ingredients. Again, thank you for your time answering my question and thank you for sharing this, and ALL of your wonderful recipes! :)

8. Jenny says

I’m just curious about the nutritional information . . . you have 4.1 g trans fats listed. What is the source of the trans fats? I thought coconut oil was trans-fat free.

9. katrina says

This look delicious but at 174 calories a piece and the fat content is more than a snickers (52.6g) bar? the serving size says 1/12 of the bar- does the nutritional info refer to the serving size or the whole thing? If it relates to just one piece – it’s not much healthier than a snickers… although home made is aways better.

(Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 174 Fat: 13.6 g Saturated fat: 9.5 g Unsaturated fat: 4.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.2 g Sugar: 7.6 g Sodium: 59 mg Fiber: 1.8 g Protein: 2.5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg)

I’m not sure where you’re seeing 52.6 g of fat…the fat amount per bar is 13.6 g. Also, these are MUCH healthier than a regular Snickers bar!! A regular bar is filled with sugar, corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils, not to mention all the dairy that I personally do not tolerate. I’m also not a fan of artificial flavors in my food. I’d much rather have the extra calories, fat grams, etc. over all that junk any day!

I cannot wait to make these. we are a vegan family and Halloween is always hard on the kids…..I’ll have something to replace what they can’t eat! That, plus I REALLY miss Snickers…..

11. Jennifer says

Lauren, I’m making these right now. I’m subbing the syrup for agave nectar because I didn’t realize I was out of syrup :/ I hope the turn out ok!
    Question: Would you recommend chopping the peanuts or using them whole or halved?

12. Jennifer says

holy crap. these turned out AMAZING. I love them so much! So easy! One thing you may want to mention is that dates have pits! lol! I have never used a date or eaten one so I didn’t know to take the pits out (I’m a total novice obviously!) … so might be worth mentioning :)
    One last question – do you store them at room temp? Or do they need to be refrigerated?
    ps. I didn’t have the right sized pan so I did them individually in a muffin tin. Worked fabulously and each layer froze very quickly.

Hi Jennifer!

Sorry I didn’t get back to you about the peanuts, but I’m glad they turned out for you! I store them in the freezer, but I think they’d keep in the fridge as well. Thanks for trying them and for your feedback! ๐Ÿ˜€

13. Heather says

I made these last night for my boyfriend and I to enjoy on Halloween. They are AMAZING! I can’t wait for him to try. Snickers are his fave. I was surprised at how easy these were to put together. The hardest part is waiting for them to set. Thanks for this amazing idea and recipe.

Hi Gilly,

You can definitely do that, but you might need a bit of water as well, since honey is thicker than maple syrup. :)

14. Michelle says

I made these today and they are DELICIOUS!! I didn’t have the same size pan that you used so I had to use a little bigger. Since I used a larger dish, my chocolate layer was pretty thin and wanted to break easy, but we managed :) It was so good, I could have sat down and ate the whole dish!

15. Magda says

These were so yummy!! Even my 10 year old picky sugar addict loved them. For the chocolate layer I’ll use butter or cacao butter next time (didn’t care for the coconut flavor there). The nougat was so delicious… I used almond flour, cacao butter and plain milk. This was my first experience with ‘caramel’ made from dates and I have to say it was delish!! Thanks for much for this awesome recipe – I’m going to use it to come up with a peanut butter Snickers (chocolate covered, of course!).

16. Lisa says

This was so good. I did have a little problem with the chocolate base didn’t stick to the nougat layer. Any thoughts? I let the chocolate layer set for 1.5 hours and seemed good. I’m still enjoying thus very much!

17. Marcella says

I’m dutch and really want to trie this one. Can you tell me what the T. Means? Is it ร  tablespoon?

18. Erin says

These are delicious! I had trouble with the chocolate base separating from the other layers but I see where you suggested a remedy for that based on someone else’s comment so I’ll try that next time. My 2 year old and 4 year old loved them, too.

19. nayla says

Hey lauren, i am about to try these delish snikers. Just a question a T is tbs and t is teaspoon c us a cup… true?
    I didn’t quite understand why it s written 1/2 c oat flout plus 2 T ???

Hi Nayla,

True to all of your measurement guesses, and the oats are measured first (1/2 cup plus two tablespoons), then ground into flour. :)

20. Ashley says

Just made these today and they are so yummy and taste like the real snickers! Thanks for sharing such yummy healthy raw treats!

1. […]  There, feel better? If you don’t see a teal pumpkin, it does not mean it cannot be easily converted or very  allergen friendly to begin with.  All of these treats would be fantastic ideas to meet the  restrictions of your family. OK.   That’s all.  Now go run like a kid in a candy shop and grab Pin all these recipes! Easy 2 Ingredient Chocolates- Allergy Free Alaska Homemade Candy Bracelets Forks and Beans Gluten Free Pretzel Rolos- Petite Allergy Treats Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars- The Pretty Bee Fun Size Vegan Snicker Bars- Oatmeal With A Fork […]

I love to read your comments!