Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars (Vegan, Grain-Free)

‘Healthy Snickers’, she wrote.

bar11

Oh yes, it’s true! I told myself I wasn’t going to post this recipe until October, but I just couldn’t wait!

October is my absolute favorite month. Halloween, scary movies, costumes, pumpkins, ghosts, and witches galore…there is no greater joy for me!

Before my husband and I began dating, we actually worked together at a local health food store, and it was there that we connected on our love for all things ‘gore’ (our first movie date was Hostel). Each year, we look forward to the fun Halloween brings, and now that we have kids, we all have fun playing dress up when the 31st rolls around.

My husband’s absolute favorite Halloween candy is a Snickers bars, so I knew I needed to make a healthy version for all of us to enjoy this year.

bar22

If you make these, I truly believe they will blow your mind with their likeness to the real thing.

Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars (Vegan, Grain-Free)

Serves: 12 bars
  • CHOCOLATE BASE:
  • 5 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 4 T. cocoa powder
  • 2 t. maple syrup
  • ⅛ t. salt
  • NOUGAT LAYER:
  • 4 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 T. milk of your choice
  • 3 T. maple syrup
  • ½ t. vanilla
  • ½ c. + 2 T. oats, ground into flour (use almond flour if grain-free)
  • ⅛ t. sea salt
  • CARAMEL:
  • 8 dates, Medjool
  • 2 T. peanut butter (I used salted so I didn't add any extra salt)
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 2 t. water
  • ¼ c. peanuts
  1. Mix together the ingredients for the chocolate base until well combined.
  2. Pour the mix into a small baking dish (I used 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
  3. Put the dish into the freezer until hard (about 10-15 minutes).
  4. Mix together the ingredients for the nougat layer until well combined.
  5. Pour the nougat layer onto the hardened chocolate base.
  6. Set in the freezer until the nougat layer is solid (1-2 hours).
  7. Process the ingredients for the caramel layer until well combined.
  8. Spread the caramel mix atop the hardened nougat layer (wet and use your hands for this, as it is very thick.
  9. Press the peanuts into the caramel, scattering them across the entire layer.
  10. Freeze again until set (about an hour).
  11. Cut into 12 equal bars and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using oats and unsweetened almond milk. Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 174 Fat: 13.6 g Saturated fat: 9.5 g Unsaturated fat: 4.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.2 g Sugar: 7.6 g Sodium: 59 mg Fiber: 1.8 g Protein: 2.5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

A crisp chocolate base, topped with a soft and sweet nougat layer, all topped by a creamy caramel layer with a bite of crunchy nuts. It is pure bliss.

bar33

I had originally intended to coat the entire bar in chocolate, but I thought they had more character this way. I love being able to see the layers and the peanuts on top. You also save on calories this way! :-D

bar44

I’m still undecided on my costume this year, but my daughter and I are leaning towards being big and small versions of Tinkerbell. :-D I do, however, know what I’ll be snacking on.

What are you planning on dressing up as this year?

Shared with: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Healthy Vegan Friday, Raw Foods Thursdays, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Allergy-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Honey September 30, 2013 at 5:28 am Reply

Wow, those look fantastic! I love snickers as well. I craved them when I was pregnant and I indulged, but now I’m off dairy so haven’t had one in a year. Definitely making these, the nougat layer looks awesome!!
    Honey recently posted..PerseveranceMy Profile

• Lauren September 30, 2013 at 6:33 am Reply

Thank you Honey! I hope you enjoy them! :-D

2. Amanda September 30, 2013 at 5:57 am Reply

These look SO good, Lauren! I can’t wait to make them! I have always loved Snickers and I remember sorting through my Halloween candy when I was little and always eating them first. Also, my dad is a Snickers fanatic, so I had to get to them before he did! haha
    Amanda recently posted..Going Back to Simple: Body & MindMy Profile

• Lauren September 30, 2013 at 6:35 am Reply

Thanks Amanda! I think my husband would be the same way with our daughters’ candy, so I’ll be making a couple of batches of these to stave him off. :-D

3. Rena September 30, 2013 at 6:49 am Reply

So funny, I also follow detoxinista and she just posted a snickers recipe as well.
    These look great!!
    Rena recently posted..Fudge BrowniesMy Profile

4. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life September 30, 2013 at 7:01 am Reply

Me, my brother, and my dad all love Snickers! I will have to try these, we would all flip for a healthy version of it. You are incredible, Lauren! Oh, and Tinkerbell would be an awesome costume choice:) Pinning this!
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Caramel Apple GranolaMy Profile

5. Amber September 30, 2013 at 9:49 am Reply

HI Lauren,

These look great. I’ve never had a Snickers Bar. I’m allergic to peanuts, so I would sadly lose half my trick or treating bounty. But that’s okay. I would usually trade for something. I hear Snickers are totally awesome. My husband remembers them being very yummy.

This looks like such a healthy alternative! You’re awesome Lauren. :-)

And PS…Halloween is my favorite time of year too. I dress up every year! Always! last year I was Jane Goodall. I haven’t found my costume yet this year, although I was thinking about Amelia Earhart. I might just default to a cowgirl, as my son wants to be a cowboy (again) so you just never know. There are usually multiple costumes changes for different Halloween events. :-)
    Amber recently posted..Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Homemade Barbecue SauceMy Profile

6. Heather Pace September 30, 2013 at 10:51 am Reply

Lauren these look SO freaking good!!!
    Heather Pace recently posted..Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gooey Caramel PecansMy Profile

• Lauren September 30, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply

Lol, thanks Heather! :-D

7. Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen September 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm Reply

Love those layers! Looks like a great recipe.
    Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen recently posted..Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Make Ahead Mashed PotatoesMy Profile

8. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 30, 2013 at 4:44 pm Reply

Major drool…
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut BreadMy Profile

9. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com September 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reply

Looks awesome! I’m a huge Snickers fan but I think this version might be a little more reasonable to chow down on on a daily basis. :) Also, big & little Tinkerbells is a cute idea!

10. Ari @ Ari's Menu October 1, 2013 at 5:14 am Reply

Whoa! These look better than a Snickers bar in my opinion! Love how they use real, whole ingredients that I recognize and have laying around the house already! They need to happen. Then they need to be chopped up and put in a cookie!
    Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti SquashMy Profile

11. Miachel (Spiced Curiosity) October 1, 2013 at 9:28 am Reply

Tinkerbell sounds amazing! :) Good luck with the costumes.

Also, these treats look (and sound) stunning. Thanks for a healthy Halloween alternative!

12. Marly October 1, 2013 at 11:48 am Reply

WOW! Love it! BUT . . . I’m wondering how many calories are in each piece. Can anyone figure it?

• Lauren October 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

If you cut the bars into 12 pieces, each bar has 174 calories. The nutritional information is always directly below the recipe instructions. :)

13. Marly October 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Lauren. I can’t wait to devour several of these lol

14. Kelly October 2, 2013 at 7:50 pm Reply

These look so lovely! I do love snickers but Halloween is about the only time I ever get them. And I have been wanting to try out a date based caramel. I am putting these on my to try list. :)
    Kelly recently posted..Expanding lunchbox options – The Apple SandwichMy Profile

15. Heather @Gluten-Free Cat October 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm Reply

Are you kidding me? A healthy snickers makeover AND they’re practically raw? You are amazing! Please come share at Raw Foods Thursdays!!!!
    Heather @Gluten-Free Cat recently posted..Raw Foods Thursdays: 10/3/13My Profile

16. Sandra October 5, 2013 at 7:42 am Reply

These look great! Any healthy snickers is good in my eyes (and belly!).

17. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm Reply

I just made this and I am totally shocked at how much these taste like Snickers–you weren’t kidding! Sooooo tasty! :D Thanks for the awesome recipe.
    Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week | Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Are Your New Favorite SnackMy Profile

• Lauren October 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

Thanks girl! I’m so so happy you like them. :-D

18. Sunday Snippets: October 6, 2013 October 5, 2013 at 5:12 pm Reply

[…] Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars (Vegan, Grain-Free) from Oatmeal With a Fork. This is good ammunition for Halloween. […]

19. Natassia October 6, 2013 at 4:04 am Reply

These look absolutely amazing! Will definitely help with my sweet tooth in a healthy way!
    Natassia recently posted..The Bill Gates-backed company that’s reinventing meatMy Profile

20. […] if I can somehow properly package these and my Healthy Snickers Bars, the girls will never know I’m playing it safe and giving them mommy’s homemade healthy […]

21. […] Healthy Fun Size Snicker Bars (Vegan, Grain-Free) from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

22. […] oatmealwithafork.com […]

23. Emma October 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm Reply

Oh my word! These look to die for! Snickers were a favourite when I was little :)
    Great idea on the nougat filling.
    (Via Oh My Veggies)
    Emma recently posted..Home-GrownMy Profile

24. Amanda @Natural Living Mamma October 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm Reply

OMG these look AMAZING. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!
    Amanda @Natural Living Mamma recently posted..Simple Meals FridayMy Profile

25. The Peace Patch October 14, 2013 at 9:37 am Reply

Snickers were definitely one of my trade-for candies when we trick-or-treated as kids…my sister didn’t like them so I’d give her my Good & Plenty and Milk Duds for her Snickers. Seems to me I got the better end of the deal but she was happy and we both ran on sugar highs for the next two weeks.
    Your Snickers Bars are superyumful…I want to cut them long and skinny and plop them on a lollipop stick like a Slo-Poke just for the screaming fun of it. :)
    The Peace Patch recently posted..Heroes to the Rescue!My Profile

26. Vegan4Life October 14, 2013 at 9:39 am Reply

Question,… The 1/4 cup peanuts listed in the caramel layer are for adding to the top when done mixing the actual caramel ingredients? Or do you mix them in with the caramel layer and then add additional peanuts to the top? Thank you in advance for your time, and thank you soooo much for sharing this recipe! :) I can’t wait to try it!

• Lauren October 14, 2013 at 10:59 am Reply

Hi there! I just add mine to the top. :) I hope you enjoy them!

• Vegan4Life October 15, 2013 at 7:00 am Reply

Okay, because you included the peanuts with the ingredients for the caramel so it makes it look as though they are supposed to processed with the rest of the ingredients and I was a bit confused. thanks for clearing that up. (Might be nice if you actually separate the peanuts ingredient from the caramel ingredients, or write next to them in parenthesis, that they are to be used as a topping) Again, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe! :)

• Lauren October 15, 2013 at 7:29 am Reply

The directions actually do state to just ‘press’ the peanuts into the caramel layer. Sorry if that was unclear to you.

• Vegan4Life October 16, 2013 at 8:28 am

Yes, I understand this NOW, but in reading the directions, #7 says to: Process the “ingredients” for the caramel layer until well combined. And so what I am seeing is those “ingredients” to include the 1/4 c. of peanuts. Then when you look at #8 it says to: Spread the caramel mix atop the hardened nougat layer. (Which at this point I am still thinking included the peanuts listed in the ingredients for the caramel mix) So this is why I asked the question, as well as thought that maybe you should separate the peanuts from the actual caramel ingredients. Again, thank you for your time answering my question and thank you for sharing this, and ALL of your wonderful recipes! :)

27. […] Favorite: Healthy Fun Size Snicker Bars @ Oatmeal with a […]

28. […] Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars (V) from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

29. […] Fun Size Snicker Bars (Gluten Free/Vegan w/ Paleo Option) @ Oatmeal w/ a Fork […]

30. Jenny October 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm Reply

I’m just curious about the nutritional information . . . you have 4.1 g trans fats listed. What is the source of the trans fats? I thought coconut oil was trans-fat free.

• Jenny October 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm Reply

Never mind, I see now that I was reading it in reverse! Looks like something I should make for myself.

31. Karen@NourishWithKaren October 16, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reply

These looks amazing! Can’t wait to try them. Thanks for sharing!

32. katrina October 17, 2013 at 3:32 am Reply

This look delicious but at 174 calories a piece and the fat content is more than a snickers (52.6g) bar? the serving size says 1/12 of the bar- does the nutritional info refer to the serving size or the whole thing? If it relates to just one piece – it’s not much healthier than a snickers… although home made is aways better.

(Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 174 Fat: 13.6 g Saturated fat: 9.5 g Unsaturated fat: 4.1 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.2 g Sugar: 7.6 g Sodium: 59 mg Fiber: 1.8 g Protein: 2.5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg)

• Lauren October 17, 2013 at 7:18 am Reply

I’m not sure where you’re seeing 52.6 g of fat…the fat amount per bar is 13.6 g. Also, these are MUCH healthier than a regular Snickers bar!! A regular bar is filled with sugar, corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils, not to mention all the dairy that I personally do not tolerate. I’m also not a fan of artificial flavors in my food. I’d much rather have the extra calories, fat grams, etc. over all that junk any day!

33. Maria October 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm Reply

I cannot wait to make these. we are a vegan family and Halloween is always hard on the kids…..I’ll have something to replace what they can’t eat! That, plus I REALLY miss Snickers…..

• Lauren October 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm Reply

Hah, I hope you and your family enjoy them Maria! :-D

34. Jennifer October 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reply

Lauren, I’m making these right now. I’m subbing the syrup for agave nectar because I didn’t realize I was out of syrup :/ I hope the turn out ok!
    Question: Would you recommend chopping the peanuts or using them whole or halved?
    Thanks!
    Jen

35. Jennifer October 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm Reply

holy crap. these turned out AMAZING. I love them so much! So easy! One thing you may want to mention is that dates have pits! lol! I have never used a date or eaten one so I didn’t know to take the pits out (I’m a total novice obviously!) … so might be worth mentioning :)
    One last question – do you store them at room temp? Or do they need to be refrigerated?
    Thanks~
    ps. I didn’t have the right sized pan so I did them individually in a muffin tin. Worked fabulously and each layer froze very quickly.

• Lauren October 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm Reply

Hi Jennifer!

Sorry I didn’t get back to you about the peanuts, but I’m glad they turned out for you! I store them in the freezer, but I think they’d keep in the fridge as well. Thanks for trying them and for your feedback! :-D

36. Julie October 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm Reply

I think you just changed my life!

37. […] Grain Free Sugar Free Fun Size Snicker Bars from OatmealWithAFork.com  […]

38. Heather October 30, 2013 at 2:47 pm Reply

I made these last night for my boyfriend and I to enjoy on Halloween. They are AMAZING! I can’t wait for him to try. Snickers are his fave. I was surprised at how easy these were to put together. The hardest part is waiting for them to set. Thanks for this amazing idea and recipe.

• Lauren October 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm Reply

That’s awesome Heather! My husband is also a fan, so I can relate. :-) Thanks for the comment!!

39. Five Things Friday 11/01/13. | November 1, 2013 at 3:01 am Reply

[…] used this recipe for Healthy Fun Size Snickers Bars – followed exactly except I doubled the […]

40. […] I’ve had a raging sweet tooth lately, so I recently made a batch of these Healthy Snickers Bars… […]

41. Sam July 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reply

I love this recipe! I use it all the time. I salute you and your awesomeness. (My hips won’t though) :-)

• Lauren July 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm Reply

Haha, thanks Sam! It’s one of my favorites too. :-)

42. Gilly July 21, 2014 at 3:31 am Reply

Could you use honey instead of maple syrup…its very expensive in Ireland?

• Lauren July 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm Reply

Hi Gilly,

You can definitely do that, but you might need a bit of water as well, since honey is thicker than maple syrup. :)