Chocolate Chip Detox Fudge (Dairy-Free, Vegan)

It was a sit-my-derriere-on-the-couch-all-day kind of weekend for me.

f3

Amidst the achiness, fever, and intermittent bouts of nausea, I indulged in smut TV and forewent all of my daily cleaning, cooking, blogging, and exercising. I craved crappy comfort food like nothing else, but managed to shove a salad in my face at least once a day for health’s sake.

It was gloriously liberating.

Sometimes I imagine I get sick because it’s my body’s way of letting me know it needs a break. My life is generally very routine and go-go-go, so, while frustrating, not feeling well becomes a time to sort of ‘smell the roses’ and enjoy the little things. For me, that’s watching AMC Fear Fest with my beloved hubby whilst stuffing our faces with ice cream sandwiches.

After a number of days in this sloth-like condition, my normal healthy tastes began to return (especially since the ice cream sandwich ended in an eczema breakout).

This fudge was the perfect treat to ‘detox’ with. Made with whole food ingredients and no dairy or nuts, it was exactly what I needed to get my sweet teeth back on track!

Healthy Chocolate Chip Detox Fudge (Dairy-Free, Vegan)

Serves: 12 pieces
  • 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • ½ c. oats, ground into flour
  • 2 T. honey or maple syrup
  • 6 T. coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • ⅛ t. stevia extract (white)
  • 3 T. dark chocolate chips
  1. Process all (except chocolate chips) until well combined and smooth.
  2. Stir in the chips.
  3. Pour the batter into a small dish (I used a 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
  4. Smooth out the top as needed.
  5. Refrigerate until solid, about one hour.
  6. Cut and serve!
Nutrition facts are based on using honey. Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 214 Fat: 7.9 g Saturated fat: 6.3 g Unsaturated fat: 1.6 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 28.4 g Sugar: 4.8 g Sodium: 48 mg Fiber: 9.3 g Protein: 9.1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this recipe

f2

I love how versatile beans are! They are so easily transformed in dessert recipes, and I feel so healthy eating them because of the fiber and protein that they add.

You’ll be amazed at how beans can create such a delicious, healthy alternative to the usual fat and sugar-laden fudge (sorry Grandma).

Other unusual recipes with beans:

Vanilla ‘Bean’ Milk

Dessert Hummus Spread

What’s your favorite fudge flavor?

Whole Foods used to carry a vegan peanut butter fudge that was to die for, but it contained soy and would tend to give me allergy trouble. :-(

Shared with: Healthy 2day, Real Food Wednesday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Emma October 28, 2013 at 8:26 am Reply

LOVE this idea Lauren! And fudge for detoxing is definitely something I need no encouragement to get behind!
    Emma recently posted..Miso-Curry Roasted Squash with Crispy Chickpeas & KaleMy Profile

• Lauren October 28, 2013 at 8:37 am Reply

Haha, thanks Emma! :-)

2. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 28, 2013 at 4:50 pm Reply

I was sick this weekend too :(

3. jodye @ whole pure recipes October 28, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reply

“detox” and “fudge” generally aren’t two words you see next to each other, but this certainly looks and sounds amazing! I’m a sucker for sweets so having healthy, “detox” worthy desserts like this in my repertoire is essential. I’ll have to try this out asap! I hope you’re feeling better!
    jodye @ whole pure recipes recently posted..Chai Spiced Banana Bread Muffins with Maple Toasted CoconutMy Profile

4. Lauren @ CoffeeMuffins October 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply

I have to say this title intrigued me, looks amazing!
    Lauren @ CoffeeMuffins recently posted..Gingerbread and Sultana Mug Cake (5 minutes)My Profile

5. Luke October 29, 2013 at 6:25 pm Reply

Never in my wildest dreams would I think that you can use beans to make vegan fudge! If it works then it works. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to making it.

6. Lori October 30, 2013 at 6:30 am Reply

Just made this fudge last night…….AND the night before that…..lol. It is REALLY good and satisfies my sweet tooth. My boyfriend ate my first batch thinking I had made something I wasn’t supposed to have! It is unbelievable everyone! Don’t be afraid to try it! Thanks Lauren!

• Lauren October 30, 2013 at 7:24 am Reply

Haha, that’s awesome Lori, thanks for letting me know! :-)

7. […] Detox Fudge baby…. […]

8. amber November 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm Reply

So creative, Lauren! Great recipe.
    amber recently posted..Pumpkin, Banana, Cranberry Muffins (gluten free, dairy free, cane-sugar free, nut free)My Profile

9. Jamie Larrison November 14, 2013 at 11:41 am Reply

This has to be the best recipe I’ve seen for fudge. So excited to try it!!
    Jamie Larrison recently posted..Get Rid of Pantry MothsMy Profile

10. M. Brown November 19, 2013 at 11:50 am Reply

This looks pretty good, I do love my beans. What would you suggest in place of the stevia? I can’t stand the stuff. Can I just omit it altogether?

• Lauren November 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Hi there,

You could try adding couple extra tablespoons of sweetener, but at some point it may not set up as well due to the extra liquid. A granulated sweetener might be a better option so as to not throw off the consistency as much. :-)

11. […] (via Chocolate Chip Detox Fudge (Dairy-Free, Vegan) | Oatmeal with a Fork) […]

12. […] If dessert must really be on your table in some form, at least opt for this dairy-free, vegan “fudge” made with a surprising ingredient over at Oatmeal With a Fork. […]

13. Ashley December 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm Reply

I love the idea of this! My super sensitive nursing baby doesn’t do well when I eat oats. What would you suggest as an alternative?

• Lauren December 6, 2013 at 8:17 am Reply

Hmmm…maybe rice flour? Or ground sunflower seeds?

14. Peggy December 18, 2013 at 10:27 am Reply

I’m going to feature this on my blog on Friday, Dec. 20 for my last Fun Find Friday’s post of the year. Will send my readers here for the recipe. Thanks for coming up with the great recipe!
    Peggy recently posted..Sugar Free and Unrefined Sugar Cranberry SauceMy Profile

• Lauren December 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm Reply

Thanks so much Peggy! I can’t wait to see the post! :-D

15. […] I tried it I ran out of coconut oil and used part canola oil and it was a disaster.  Lauren from Oatmeal With a Fork is the genius behind this recipe.  Head on over to see how to make this fun, easy, guilt free […]

16. Angie January 24, 2014 at 5:07 am Reply

holy delightful. I am in love! I follow nutritionist in the kitch, and she shared the link to this recipe. So easy, quick, and freaking delicious!!

• Lauren January 24, 2014 at 8:51 am Reply

Thanks Angie! I hope you enjoy it if you try it! :)

17. Amelia February 2, 2014 at 7:38 pm Reply

just a note – honey is not vegan – anything from an animal of any kind is not vegan. suggest agave instead.

• Lauren February 2, 2014 at 7:42 pm Reply

Amelia,

I am acutely aware of what is vegan. The recipe also suggests maple syrup. Agave is NOT a sweetener I use or think highly of.

18. roger r ramirez February 3, 2014 at 12:21 am Reply

honey isn’t vegan

• Lauren February 3, 2014 at 8:29 am Reply

Hence the maple syrup option.

19. […] 3, 2014 by Sex, Spirit, Soul Mates and Chocolate….Ivonne's Journey I found this recipe on http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/10/28/chocolate-chip-detox-fudge-dairy-free-vegan/ I am looking forward to trying the recipe out. Healthy Chocolate Chip Detox Fudge (Dairy-Free, […]

20. Brienna February 3, 2014 at 5:23 pm Reply

If I use oat flour (since I already have it and don’t have a nice way to grind oats), would it still be 10T or less?
    Brienna recently posted..The Invention of WingsMy Profile

• Lauren February 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm Reply

Hi Brienna,

1 1/2 cups of oats is equal to about 1 cup of oat flour, so you’d need roughly 6 T. + 2 t. of oat flour. :)

21. Marfigs February 4, 2014 at 8:06 am Reply

Oh yum! I am addicted to cannelini beans – in desserts especially! This is a fantastic and easy looking recipe. :D I see you don’t really recommend agave, but we don’t get maple syrup in my country all that easily, or without paying an arm and a leg. Would something like soaked and processed dates work, or would that be fooling around too much?
    Marfigs recently posted..Choco buckwheat muffins with pomegranate cashew frostingMy Profile

• Lauren February 4, 2014 at 9:16 am Reply

Hi Marfigs,

You can definitely use agave here if that’s all you have access to. I just personally don’t think highly of it as a sweetener. You could also try brown rice syrup or barley malt if either of those are available to you. I hope you enjoy this if you try it. It’s one of my favorite recipes. :)

22. G February 5, 2014 at 8:58 am Reply

Hi,

What about chickpeas instead of the white beans?

Thanks, looks awesome!

• Lauren February 5, 2014 at 9:56 am Reply

Hi G,

I think chickpeas would work great! I hope you enjoy it if you do try it. :)

23. […] you’re not a huge chocolate fan, this Detox Fudge may be more your style. Just omit the chocolate […]

24. Cinde April 11, 2014 at 4:04 pm Reply

Hello! Firstly, let me say thank you for your wonderful collection of recipes! My question regarding this recipe is about the stevia extract – should it be liquid or powder? Thanks! :)

• Lauren April 11, 2014 at 6:41 pm Reply

Thank you Cinde! I use the powdered stevia extract here. :-)

25. Cinde April 11, 2014 at 10:36 pm Reply

Great, thanks! I can’t wait to try this and the many other recipes I pinned from your site! :)