The Original Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies (Vegan, Paleo)

It was a loooooong weekend, and, frankly, I’m happy it’s over.

cc1

Though I love the holiday season, I’m not a huge fan of all the social gatherings that accompany it. Unlike most of you, my family is rather divided and both Thanksgiving and Christmas end up feeling more like a series of root canals than the joyous, tinsel-saturated memories that should be experienced.

My favorite moments end up happening on the days when no actual holiday exists. I love decorating our house and tree, drinking hot chocolate and biting into candy canes, baking and decorating Christmas cookies, and buying presents for my little girls, who are now finally able to appreciate more than just the box the gift comes in (hence, the unending demands for this little bauble).

One of my favorite holiday treats has always been Peppermint Bark. Last year, I created my own healthy version, which I love, and this year, I wanted to put a new twist on it.

cc2

While my Peppermint Bark is delicious, I love the soft brownie layer mixed with the crisp and creamy peppermint coating. Because my favorite combination is mint and chocolate, this is the best of both worlds!

Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies (Vegan, Paleo)

Serves: 12 pieces
  • BROWNIE LAYER:
  • ½ c. pecans or walnuts
  • ½ c. oats (or another ½ cup of nuts if paleo or grain-free)
  • 10 dates
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • 3 T. cocoa powder
  • ½ t. peppermint extract
  • 1 T. water
  • BARK LAYER:
  • 6 T. coconut butter
  • 4 T. coconut oil
  • 2 T. maple syrup (or 4 t. maple syrup + 6 drops liquid stevia)
  • 1 t. peppermint extract
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1 candy cane, crushed into small pieces
  1. FOR THE BROWNIE LAYER:
  2. Process the nuts into a meal.
  3. Remove.
  4. Add dates and process until they form a paste.
  5. Add back the nut meal and the rest of the ingredients.
  6. Process until well-combined.
  7. Press into a small baking dish (I used a 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
  8. Set in the fridge while you make the top layer.
  9. FOR THE BARK LAYER:
  10. Heat the coconut butter and oil on low just until they liquify.
  11. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except for the candy cane) until the mixture is smooth.
  12. Pour atop the brownie layer.
  13. Set in the fridge for about 10 minutes until the top layer sets a bit.
  14. Top with the crushed candy cane (you can top it before, but this keeps the candy cane on top and makes it look prettier).
  15. Set in the fridge (or freezer if you want it faster) to set.
  16. Cut and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using a combination of pecans and oats and the maple syrup/stevia option. Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 163 Fat: 12.7 g Saturated fat: 8.3 g Unsaturated fat: 4.4 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.1 g Sugar: 7.1 g Sodium: 62 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 1.8 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this recipe

In the original recipe, I use cocoa butter in place of the coconut oil, but I have since had a bit of allergy trouble with the butter, and the oil works just as well.

cc3

Two great things about November and December are that my little girls (Jade and Natalie) turn four and two, respectively. Jadie had her birthday party last month, and I just wanted to pay a little tribute to her…

IMG_9192

…happy birthday baby! The best day of my life was seeing you for the first time. I love you! :-)

What is your favorite holiday treat?

Shared with: Natural Living Mamma, Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Emma December 2, 2013 at 8:22 am Reply

Oh wow, those look so yummy! My favourite holiday treat is Panettone but I haven’t tried to make a vegan version yet- on the to do list!
    Emma recently posted..Sweet Potato, Red Lentil & Sesame Patties with Asian-style Cabbage SlawMy Profile

2. LjgEnthusiast December 2, 2013 at 10:00 am Reply

Wowie!!! These look SOOOO Yummy!!!!! :)

3. Amanda December 2, 2013 at 11:10 am Reply

I’m a huge fan of the chocolate and mint combo, so I can’t wait to try these!
    Also, happy birthday to your girls!
    Amanda recently posted..My Raw Thanksgiving ChallengeMy Profile

• Lauren December 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm Reply

Thanks girl! :-)

4. Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl December 2, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

These sound so delicious! I’m a big fan of peppermint around the holidays and I love your use of coconut butter!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A Marvelous Thankgiving Week!My Profile

5. Mary @ Fit and Fed December 2, 2013 at 2:05 pm Reply

Cool, you know I was waiting for this one, and I have all the ingredients! When I get to making them I’ll let you know how it went!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Pear, Hazelnut and Goat Cheese SaladMy Profile

• Lauren December 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm Reply

I hope you enjoy them Mary! :-)

6. Lisa December 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm Reply

Oh my gosh, these look so amazing!
    I love the peppermint flavors for this time of year and this brownie looks heavenly.
    Lisa recently posted..Little DelightsMy Profile

7. Peggy December 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm Reply

You come up with the best looking and tasting sounding recipes! I wish I had enough time to try all of your stuff. As a side note…I understand your feelings about holidays; it’s much the same for me.
    Peggy recently posted..Fabulous Roasted Pearl OnionsMy Profile

• Lauren December 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm Reply

Thank you Peggy, what a great comment to come home to. :-)

8. marquis @realrawkitchen December 5, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

wow these look incredible! I’ve never played with peppermint because my husband hates the stuff .. but I think this recipe defies his pickiness :) it looks SO yummy!
    marquis @realrawkitchen recently posted..HOW-TO: Vitamin C face mask from Detox Your WorldMy Profile

9. Lauren December 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm Reply

These look fantastic! I’ve never baked with coconut butter before, but I cook with coconut oil regularly. Is coconut butter necessary to make these turn out well or could I use only coconut oil? Thanks! Lauren

• Lauren December 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reply

Hi Lauren

I really think the butter is necessary, but I’ve never tried it without it. :-)

10. Sunday Snippets December 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm Reply

[…] Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies (Vegan, Paleo) from Oatmeal with a Fork. Wow! Great holiday treat! […]

11. Adrien December 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm Reply

Can you recommend a brand of coconut butter?

• Lauren December 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reply

Hi Adrien,

I use Artisana. :-)

12. […] Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

13. […] Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies @ Oatmeal with a Fork […]

14. Carrie December 11, 2013 at 5:45 pm Reply

Hi Lauren,
    I made a double batch of these in an 8″x8″ pan for our family of 11 tonight and it was SUCH A HIT! What a delightful recipe you came up with. Many many thanks from all of us. Do you have a tip as to how to press the brownies down without having them stick all over my fingers? My daughter and I didn’t mind licking them off afterwards but I bet there’s a better way to do it. :) My heart goes out to you about the family stuff. Those things we can’t change that are disappointing sometimes propel us to try even harder while our children are young to surround them with lots of love and provide them with plenty of warm, positive memories.

• Lauren December 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm Reply

Hi Carrie,

I’m so happy you enjoyed the brownies!! To keep the bottom layer off of your hands, just keep your hands a bit wet. :-) Thank you for your kind words, and I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas!

15. stephanie December 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm Reply

Just made these using walnuts for the crust (no oats) and WOW!!! SO, SO YUMMY!! Thanks for another awesome recipe Lauren! :D

• Lauren December 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm Reply

Yay Stephanie! I think you like chocolate and mint almost as much as I do! :-)

16. […] Laura’s Cranberry Cookies… Or brownies? Work would go nut’s for Lauren’s Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies… Oh. But I just bought a jar of sugar-free mincemeat and should really put it to use before I […]

17. 50 Gluten Free Christmas Cookie Recipes December 13, 2013 at 5:01 am Reply

[…] Raw Peppermint Bark Blondies (Vegan, Paleo) from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

18. Stephanie Becker December 20, 2013 at 9:25 am Reply

Hi Lauren–
    I made these for a party last night and they are WONDERFUL. At first I thought it was an awful lot of peppermint extract, but I followed the recipe and it turned out to be just right– silly me to second guess you!
    Also, I want to thank you for all your time and energy on your recipes– when my son was first diagnosed with Autism and it was important we go gluten free/dairy free and oust the refined sugar, I floundered out in recipe-blog-land not knowing how to feed him or where to start. Your Oatmeal Waffles (made in the blender) was one of the first things we tried, and began to realize that eating clean and well was not the end of the world, and really the beginning of a happy dance with food.
    Happy Holidays (and belated Happy Birthdays to your adorable girls)!

• Lauren December 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm Reply

Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. It is so satisfying to know that my recipes are helping others with allergies. I’m so happy you and your son enjoyed both of those recipes. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, and thank you for your birthday wishes for my daughters. :-D

19. […] Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies from Oatmeal with a Fork […]