The Original Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies (Vegan, Paleo)

It was a loooooong weekend, and, frankly, I’m happy it’s over.

Though I love the holiday season, I’m not a huge fan of all the social gatherings that accompany it. Unlike most of you, my family is rather divided and both Thanksgiving and Christmas end up feeling more like a series of root canals than the joyous, tinsel-saturated memories that should be experienced.

My favorite moments end up happening on the days when no actual holiday exists. I love decorating our house and tree, drinking hot chocolate and biting into candy canes, baking and decorating Christmas cookies, and buying presents for my little girls, who are now finally able to appreciate more than just the box the gift comes in (hence, the unending demands for this little bauble).

One of my favorite holiday treats has always been Peppermint Bark. Last year, I created my own healthy version, which I love, and this year, I wanted to put a new twist on it.

While my Peppermint Bark is delicious, I love the soft brownie layer mixed with the crisp and creamy peppermint coating. Because my favorite combination is mint and chocolate, this is the best of both worlds!

Raw Peppermint Bark Brownies (Vegan, Paleo)
Serves: 12 pieces
  • ½ c. pecans or walnuts
  • ½ c. oats (or another ½ cup of nuts if paleo or grain-free)
  • 10 dates
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • 3 T. cocoa powder
  • ½ t. peppermint extract
  • 1 T. water
  • 6 T. coconut butter
  • 4 T. coconut oil
  • 2 T. maple syrup (or 4 t. maple syrup + 6 drops liquid stevia)
  • 1 t. peppermint extract
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1 candy cane, crushed into small pieces
  2. Process the nuts into a meal.
  3. Remove.
  4. Add dates and process until they form a paste.
  5. Add back the nut meal and the rest of the ingredients.
  6. Process until well-combined.
  7. Press into a small baking dish (I used a 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
  8. Set in the fridge while you make the top layer.
  10. Heat the coconut butter and oil on low just until they liquify.
  11. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except for the candy cane) until the mixture is smooth.
  12. Pour atop the brownie layer.
  13. Set in the fridge for about 10 minutes until the top layer sets a bit.
  14. Top with the crushed candy cane (you can top it before, but this keeps the candy cane on top and makes it look prettier).
  15. Set in the fridge (or freezer if you want it faster) to set.
  16. Cut and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using a combination of pecans and oats and the maple syrup/stevia option. Weight Watchers points (new system): 5
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe Calories: 163 Fat: 12.7 g Saturated fat: 8.3 g Unsaturated fat: 4.4 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 13.1 g Sugar: 7.1 g Sodium: 62 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 1.8 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Adapted from this recipe

In the original recipe, I use cocoa butter in place of the coconut oil, but I have since had a bit of allergy trouble with the butter, and the oil works just as well.

Two great things about November and December are that my little girls (Jade and Natalie) turn four and two, respectively. Jadie had her birthday party last month, and I just wanted to pay a little tribute to her…

…happy birthday baby! The best day of my life was seeing you for the first time. I love you! :-)

What is your favorite holiday treat?

Shared with: Natural Living Mamma, Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday

Oh wow, those look so yummy! My favourite holiday treat is Panettone but I haven’t tried to make a vegan version yet- on the to do list!

You come up with the best looking and tasting sounding recipes! I wish I had enough time to try all of your stuff. As a side note…I understand your feelings about holidays; it’s much the same for me.

3. Lauren says

These look fantastic! I’ve never baked with coconut butter before, but I cook with coconut oil regularly. Is coconut butter necessary to make these turn out well or could I use only coconut oil? Thanks! Lauren

4. Carrie says

Hi Lauren,
    I made a double batch of these in an 8″x8″ pan for our family of 11 tonight and it was SUCH A HIT! What a delightful recipe you came up with. Many many thanks from all of us. Do you have a tip as to how to press the brownies down without having them stick all over my fingers? My daughter and I didn’t mind licking them off afterwards but I bet there’s a better way to do it. :) My heart goes out to you about the family stuff. Those things we can’t change that are disappointing sometimes propel us to try even harder while our children are young to surround them with lots of love and provide them with plenty of warm, positive memories.

Hi Carrie,

I’m so happy you enjoyed the brownies!! To keep the bottom layer off of your hands, just keep your hands a bit wet. :-) Thank you for your kind words, and I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas!

5. stephanie says

Just made these using walnuts for the crust (no oats) and WOW!!! SO, SO YUMMY!! Thanks for another awesome recipe Lauren! 😀

6. Stephanie Becker says

Hi Lauren–
    I made these for a party last night and they are WONDERFUL. At first I thought it was an awful lot of peppermint extract, but I followed the recipe and it turned out to be just right– silly me to second guess you!
    Also, I want to thank you for all your time and energy on your recipes– when my son was first diagnosed with Autism and it was important we go gluten free/dairy free and oust the refined sugar, I floundered out in recipe-blog-land not knowing how to feed him or where to start. Your Oatmeal Waffles (made in the blender) was one of the first things we tried, and began to realize that eating clean and well was not the end of the world, and really the beginning of a happy dance with food.
    Happy Holidays (and belated Happy Birthdays to your adorable girls)!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. It is so satisfying to know that my recipes are helping others with allergies. I’m so happy you and your son enjoyed both of those recipes. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, and thank you for your birthday wishes for my daughters. 😀

I love to read your comments!