Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars (Vegan, Nut-Free)

So, me and the fam are preparing for our first official road trip this weekend.

bar11

It would be no big deal to any normal American family, but for us it’s huge!

You see, since our daughter Jade was born (over four years ago), my husband and I haven’t ventured out much past our front door, and I’m feeling a bit trepidatious.

Despite the fact that it’s only an overnight stay, Jade and I are a bit more high maintenance in that we need to take precautionary everything. Allergy-friendly food to eat and fragrance-free bedding to sleep on, along with the usual clothes, hygiene items, and personal effects are just some of the items on the list for packing.

bar22

In the past, I’ve often had trouble with hotel rooms, as they can either have various chemical smells from cleansers or potpourri scents or even strong laundry odors in the sheets and blankets, so I’ve learned to be prepared!

Luckily, there’s a Whole Foods about five miles away from where we’ll be staying, but I’m also planning on bringing a few prepared treats of my own in case I don’t feel like shelling out the extra cash for California prices.

bar33

These treats will be the perfect little pick-me-up on our six-hour drive. They’ll easily be kept chilled in our cooler, they’re light and portable, yet nutrient dense, and the creamy sweetness will give my husband and I something to raise our spirits and look forward to!

Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Serves: 9 bars
  • COOKIE DOUGH BASE:
  • 6 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 3 T. dairy-free milk of your choice (I used homemade coconut)
  • ¼ c. maple syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • ¼ t. cinnamon
  • ⅔ c. oat flour
  • 3 T. cacao nibs or dark chocolate pieces, optional
  • CHOCOLATE LAYER:
  • ½ c. cocoa powder
  • ¼ c. maple syrup
  • 2 T. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 T. water
  • pinch sea salt
  • ½ t. vanilla
  1. Lightly oil a 7 x 5 inch glass baking dish.
  2. Mix together the ingredients for the cookie dough layer until well combined (try to use room temperature milk or the cold liquid may seize up the coconut oil, making it a bit lumpy).
  3. Pour the cookie dough layer into the glass dish and place into the refrigerator until slightly firm to the touch.
  4. Mix together the ingredients for the chocolate layer until well combined.
  5. Pour atop the cookie dough layer and spread evenly with a spatula (do this quickly so as to get a smooth, uniform layer).
  6. Place back into the fridge (or freezer) until set.
  7. Cut and serve!
  8. Keep in the fridge for best serving results.
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk and NO cacao nibs or chocolate pieces. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Serving size: 1/9 of recipe Calories: 190 Fat: 13.3 g Saturated fat: 10.9 g Unsaturated fat: 2.4 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 19.2 g Sugar: 10.6 g Sodium: 84 mg Fiber: 2.1 g Protein: 1.8 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

I have great memories of being a kid and raiding convenience stores with my dad while on family road trips, but this time, it’ll be nice to have my own healthier alternative to the processed candy bars sold in gas stations along the way.

bar44

These are both dairy-free and nut-free, making them more suitable for those with allergies to either.

I foresee these making our trip much more pleasurable! :-D

Do you travel often? What are your favorite snacks to bring along when you are out of your home?

If you’re interested in attending the Gluten-Free Allergy Food Fest this weekend, May 3-4, please click here for more details.

Shared with: Allergy-Free Wednesday

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

1. dawn April 28, 2014 at 5:58 am Reply

you poor thing, worrying about all those allergies!
    when i go on vaca, i pack enough food and clothes that it looks like i’ll be gone for weeks. better safe than sorry :) safe travels!
    btw, how do you come up w/ the calorie info on your recipes?

• Lauren April 28, 2014 at 8:09 am Reply

Hahaha! I have a feeling this trip might end up looking that way too!

For the nutrition info, I just use calorie count. :-)

2. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life April 28, 2014 at 6:21 am Reply

Cookie dough and chocolate are always problem solvers! Ok, maybe not all, but they sure do make car trips easier! I hope everything goes well, Lauren. Knowing you, I’m sure you’ve got everything in order and called everyone you needed to – wishing you all a fun filled trip! Pinning these for my next trip :)
    Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Healthy Muddy Buddies Granola (gluten free, dairy free)My Profile

• Lauren April 28, 2014 at 8:10 am Reply

Thanks girl! :-D

3. Christine@ Apple of My Eye April 28, 2014 at 6:48 am Reply

I can’t get over how delicious these look! I could seriously eat cookie dough right out of the mixer for dinner and be completely happy haha ;). Great recipe and beautiful photos!
    Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted..Weekend Things/MIMM!My Profile

• Lauren April 28, 2014 at 8:11 am Reply

Thanks Christine! Haha, I don’t think the words ‘I don’t like cookie dough’ have probably ever been uttered. :-)

4. Joanna April 28, 2014 at 10:38 am Reply

These look so yummy!! And fairly healthy, too! ;)
    Joanna recently posted..Low Glycemic Gluten-Free Sugar-Free Brownies W/Buttercream Frosting and an Award!My Profile

5. […] See on Scoop.it – My Vegan recipesSee on http://www.oatmealwithafork.com […]

6. Gabby @ the veggie nook April 28, 2014 at 11:48 am Reply

Good luck on the trip! I’m sure it will go well, you are so prepared!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..tempeh portobello sloppy joesMy Profile

7. Allison @ Clean Wellness April 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reply

That’s awesome about your first road trip! I’m sure you will all make plenty of new and lasting memories. So cute! I always bring car snack with me. They’re essential. And can you please write a dessert cookbook? You’re healthy treats are so delicious and always turn out so well -also, everyone in my house can eat them!

Have fun this weekend :)
    Allison @ Clean Wellness recently posted..Vegan Salad Ni├žoise with Kalamata Dill DressingMy Profile

• Lauren April 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm Reply

Thanks so much Allison! We are hoping for a fun trip despite all my worrying. :-)

8. jill conyers April 28, 2014 at 2:52 pm Reply

The bars look so good! I would love to attend the conference. If only still lived in CA. Can’t wait to hear all about it.
    jill conyers recently posted..Vega Bars ReviewMy Profile

• Lauren April 28, 2014 at 5:27 pm Reply

Thanks Jill! I’m hoping to get some good pics and share them next week. :-) Thanks for tweeting too! :-D

9. Marianne April 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm Reply

Oh yum! They look so good:)
    Have fun on your trip. Hope it isn’t too tiring.

10. Laura O| Petite Allergy Treats April 29, 2014 at 5:32 pm Reply

Hi Lauren!

OMG. This look so great AND allergy friendly! I can’t tell you how excited I am to see these. My son recently passed his food challenge with Oat and I’ve been looking for new recipes. Gorgeous photos too!
    Laura O| Petite Allergy Treats recently posted..Star Wars Jedi Mint Krispie Bars- Gluten FreeMy Profile

11. Mike @TheIronYou April 30, 2014 at 6:23 am Reply

Lauren, you are definitely the queen of bars. Every single one you create looks more amazing than the previous one. You’re so talented, you should write a cookbook about them!
    In the meantime, good luck with the road trip and I can’t wait to hear everything about it.
    Mike @TheIronYou recently posted..High-Protein Zucchini ParmesanMy Profile

12. Amy May 1, 2014 at 11:10 am Reply

Oh my gosh these are HEAVENLY. I just made them last night and wanted to eat the entire pan. I don’t think I’ve ever tasted anything so wonderful! Thank you for this recipe!

• Lauren May 1, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reply

That’s awesome Amy, thanks for trying them! :-D

13. Cassie May 1, 2014 at 12:52 pm Reply

I travel pretty often… I pack nuts, granola bars, kind bars… I want to make these soon though, they look so good!! And the nutrition is pretty good too! Are the bars a good size?
    Cassie recently posted..Should We Stop Photographing Our Food?My Profile

• Lauren May 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm Reply

I feel like they are because they’re so dense! :)

14. Ashley May 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm Reply

Made these 2 nights ago and ended up eating half the pan in one sitting. Whoops! Going to make them again tonight and try to restrain myself. It’s tough, though…

• Lauren May 1, 2014 at 6:45 pm Reply

That’s awesome Ashley, I’m so happy you enjoyed them! :-D

15. Heather May 2, 2014 at 3:01 pm Reply

I’m so glad I found these! I hate long car rides but we are going on a road trip in two weeks. These look like just the thing I need to make the ride more bearable…and a healthier treat option since we will be attending a birthday party at our destination.

• Lauren May 2, 2014 at 5:34 pm Reply

Thanks Heather! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! :-)

16. Roxanne May 5, 2014 at 8:34 pm Reply

Hi Lauren, I made these on the weekend and everyone loved them. I packed it in my kids lunches too because they are nut free. So good… closest thing I’ve had to a Nanaimo bar since we went gluten free. So good.

• Lauren May 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm Reply

Thanks so much for all your comments Roxanne! I’m so happy you’re enjoying the recipes!! :-D

17. Keira May 6, 2014 at 1:26 pm Reply

sorry if you already addressed this somewhere in the post but any way to make these grain free?
    thanks so so much!!

• Lauren May 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm Reply

Hi Keira,

You could try subbing the oat flour for almond flour (they have a similar texture). Let me know if you give it try! :)

18. […] 11. Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars […]

19. Bianca May 9, 2014 at 8:14 am Reply

These look so mouth-watering! Can you replace the coconut oil with anything else? Butter, maybe? I’d love to make these for a last minute Mother’s Day’s treat!

• Lauren May 9, 2014 at 8:40 am Reply

Hi Bianca,

Butter should work great! :)

20. Jesse May 19, 2014 at 2:26 am Reply

They sound delicious, but you have to buy special oats for this to be gluten free which is not specified. The reason for this is most oats are processed in wheat facilities, and oats in particular have a way of attracting wheat particles and become contaminated. Just a little info, as some people seem to think ALL oats are gluten free. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

21. […] Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars (nut free & V) from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

22. […] Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars (nut free & V) from Oatmeal with a Fork […]

23. […] Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars @ Oatmeal with a Fork […]