With the holidays fast approaching, many of you are probably planning out your dessert menus, which may likely include some type of delicious pie!
Ergo, a good base pie crust recipe will be a valuable asset.
This recipe makes just enough for a base, as I originally intended it for this Clean Honey Pumpkin Pie, but it is easily doubled if you need a whole or lattice top, as in the case of blueberry or apple pie.
Please enjoy the following video showing you exactly how to make this easy recipe! 🙂
- 1½ c. oat flour (I use Country Choice Organic Oats and just grind the GF variety into flour)
- 2 t. natural granulated sugar
- ½ t. sea salt
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 4-5 T. cold water, as needed
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil until the 'batter' is crumbly.
- Add in the cold water as needed until the dough is moistened, but not sticky.
- Press the dough into a pie plate, pressing it up the sides as desired.
- Add your filling and bake according to pie directions.
- To pre-bake the crust, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes.
If you’re NOT gluten-free, I sometimes like to substitute 1/2 cup barley flour for 1/2 cup of oat flour, as it lends a itself to a more tender crust.
Feel free to use any neutral oil in place of the olive, if desired.
What are your favorite holiday pies?