What is the plural form of hummus?
Nay to both, I think, but this is an example of what keeps my brain gears turning in the wee hours of the morn.
While I’m maybe not as hummus-obsessed as the rest of the world, I do enjoy the stuff, especially lately, since I’ve been slathering it on my Spelt Tortillas, along with some veggies and cheese, making some pretty epic homemade lunch wraps!
This recipe is catered to my tastes and allergies, which may or may not suit you. Specifically, this hummus is tahini-free, lower in fat, and light on the cumin.
There are also a couple of tricks (one in particular) that I employ to make it as smooth and creamy as can be…and it’s not the addition of any form of fat.
Please enjoy the following video for the deets!
- 1 large garlic clove
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (RESERVE THE BEAN JUICE!)
- 4 t. lemon juice
- 1 t. lemon zest
- ½ t. sea salt
- 1½ T. good olive oil
- 2-3 T. reserved bean juice
- few grinds black pepper
- dash cumin (or more to your liking)
- Pulse garlic in a food processor until minced.
- Add remaining ingredients and process 5-7 minutes until smooth and creamy (add more bean juice and cumin as you like).
What’s your favorite way to enjoy hummus?