I often feel like I have too much ‘stuff’.
Too many kitchen gadgets, too many shirts I never wear, too many toys and stuffed animals that just sit each day collecting dust…
In contrast to my younger years of wanting purses and pillows and ‘stuff’ galore, I find myself longing for a more simplistic life, one free of excess in any form.
This has carried over into my cooking, as well, not just in the form of random appliances and thingamabobs, but in how I make my recipes.
The more I create, the more I realize, the simpler, the better!
Where I used to enjoy the multiple steps of roasting and sauteing and baking, I now look for the easy ways of making something.
This recipe, for example, is shining proof of my newfound laziness.
I have had this creation in my brain for a while, but only recently tested it out. Much to my pleasure, it turned out delicious!
I considered making it into muffins or pouring it all into a loaf pan, but, in light of having to clean either of those vessels, I decided to just slather it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. See? Lazy Lauren at her finest.
This ‘bread’ could be dressed up any number of ways, using any number of spices or add-ins, but how I have posted here is my fave.
And though I wouldn’t shake a stick at adding a few chocolate chips, I like that this recipe is totally fruit-sweetened, which in my mind means, I get to enjoy more!
- ½ c. oat flour (I just grind oats in a coffee grinder to make this)
- ½ c. oats
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. arrowroot
- ⅛ t. sea salt
- 1 t. cinnamon (I use more, but let your taste guide you)
- ½ c. applesauce
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. berries of your choice (I like a combination of blueberries and raspberries)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking soda, arrowroot, salt, cinnamon).
- Mix in the applesauce and vanilla.
- Gently stir in the berries.
- Spread the batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (it should be ~1/2 inch thick).
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool, cut, and enjoy!
Are you a fan of simplicity?
Shared with: Allergy-Free Thursday