Low in sugar buckwheat chocolate chip cookies…these gluten-free treats are free of nuts and gluten, making them a delicious allergy-friendly dessert for all!
The girls and I had a day this weekend where we stayed pajama-clad and ratty-haired until the late hours of the afternoon.
Saturday morning, we woke up, and, since my husband was at work this day, we all just kind of laid around, alternating the telly between My Little Pony cartoons and Terms of Endearment (can you guess which was my pick?…), eating muffins, drinking smoothies, playing Barbies, chasing Sammy, cleaning, and baking.
This kind of lounging isn’t typical for us, but when my husband isn’t home, it’s difficult to go anywhere since Sam is still so little, and the experience usually ends with a frazzled, sweaty mommy.
Besides, with summertime upon us and school being out, it’s much easier to give into our sloth. 🙂
In addition to our lazing about, Jade and Nat helped me make these delicious chocolate chip cookies!
These are a favorite of mine lately, and I’ve been making a batch just about every week. They are low in sugar, free of gluten, so both Jade and Nat can enjoy them, and they have the most delicious texture, provided by the use of buckwheat flour.
I use ground buckwheat groats in these, which you can see more information for in the notes below the recipe.
The pseudo-grain kind of tricks your mouth into thinking that there’s more granulated sweetener in this recipe than there actually is, since the flour’s mouth feel is very similar to sugar. Combine that with the sweetness from the chocolate, and you’ve got yourself a scrumptious, (dare I say healthy…?) cookie that you can enjoy any time of day without a subsequent blood sugar crash!
Low in sugar buckwheat chocolate chip cookies...these gluten-free treats are free of nuts and gluten, making them a delicious allergy-friendly dessert.
- 1 1/4 c . buckwheat flour , ground from raw buckwheat groats
- 1/2 t . baking powder
- 1/2 t . sea salt
- dash powdered stevia extract , optional
- 1/2 c . semi-soft coconut oil
- 2 T . coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 t . vanilla extract
- 1/3 c . chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and stevie (if using) in a small bowl.
- Beat the oil with the sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla, just until combined.
- Stir in the flour mix and chocolate chips.
- Roll the batter into balls and flatten them onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes before moving.
Calories: 162 Fat: 11.5 g Carbs: 13.8 g Sugar: 4.9 g Protein: 2.4 g WW SmartPoints: 8
Recipe adapted from Cooking a la Mel
This is the brand of buckwheat groats I use for my flour.
Do you ever lounge around on the weekends?