Sammy turned one yesterday, I can’t believe it.
It literally seems like I just had him a couple of months ago!
We celebrated at the house with some of mom’s homemade goodies and a trip to the pool, woohoo!
Pizza and cake seem to be the classic birthday staples, don’t they?
When I was a kid, that was the thing, and as a teenager, I had a job at a kid’s birthday arena where party packages consisted of said food and a ‘play until you puke’ kind of ticket.
The hubs and I considered hauling everyone to Chuck E. Cheese for an afternoon of skee ball blitzkrieg, but, ultimately, at home we stayed and partied till we were all primed for napping, which didn’t take long.
Sam had a blast, though, smashing his cake and getting everyone’s full attention for a solid ten minutes, while we took pictures and (badly) belted out ‘happy birthday’…
Today, I wanted to share with you the pizza we ate and can’t get enough of lately.
Made without oil or yeast, this is my absolute favorite crust to make right now, and the crew here enjoys it too!
Since we have all suffered-with-slash-easily-get-candida, I don’t use yeast anymore to make breads, so this crust is the result of that. It’s also free of any oil, which is nice because you’re not getting the extra calories and can load up on the cheese, if that’s your poison.
Personally, I’m a fan of making the crust a bit thicker, adding on healthy spoonfuls of my Homemade Pizza Sauce, tons of veggies, and a light sprinkle of raw cheddar.
The kids will even eat their vegetables this way, much to my astonishment!
However you like your pizza, I think you will enjoy this healthy and quick alternative to the yeast and fat-laden classic.
Healthy pizza crust made with spelt flour and...applesauce! Yeast-free, sugar-free, and oil-free.
- 2 1/2 c . spelt flour (see Notes for my favorite flour to use; be sure to measure your flour correctly, or the water ratio will be off, again, see Notes)
- 1 T . baking powder
- 1 t . sea salt
- 1/2 c . unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2-1 c . water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in the applesauce until the mixture looks pebbly.
- Add in the water slowly, until the dough comes together. It should be neither too dry nor too sticky to the touch.
- Knead until the dough is a smooth ball, about 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the dough with the same bowl you used to mix the ingredients, letting it sit while your oven warms and you begin your topping prep.
- After 10-15 minutes, divide the dough into two balls (don't knead it), and roll out each ball to fit your pizza pan.
- Pre-bake the crusts for six minutes.
- Remove the crusts, top with sauce, veggies, and/or cheese, and bake for 12 more minutes (I put one on the top rack and one on the bottom rack, bake for six minutes, then switch them around).
- Remove, cool, slice, and enjoy!
Fat: 0.4 g Carbs: 14.9 g Sugar: 0.6 g Protein 2.6 g; WW SmartPoints: 2
This is my absolute favorite spelt flour to use (no affiliation).
See this post for how to measure your flour correctly.
Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday