I delved into some very interesting reading this weekend. Specifically, the heated controversy regarding grains.
It all started when I watched Dr. Terry Wahls YouTube video on curing herself of multiple sclerosis, which you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=player_embedded.
If you have 20 spare minutes, I highly recommend watching it! I love her approach of eating more fruits and vegetables (9 cups, to be exact) to get the nutrition you need in order to heal, rather than taking supplements, but it left me even MORE eager to learn about the pros and cons of such a drastic lifestyle change.
The Nourished Kitchen has a great post on some of the cons regarding eating grains, but I have yet to research the argument FOR grains.
While we could go on and on all day, debating the pros and cons of such a matter, I thought it'd be a fun personal challenge to go grain-free for the month of April! My biggest challenge will be the absence of overnight oats! I won't bore you with the details of every physical/emotional change, but I will be joining back in with 'What I Ate Wednesday', showing you the types of (grain-free) meals I'm eating at least one day of each week...and all of the recipes this month will be grain-free. 🙂
I figure this is a great time to do this, for me, considering two of the arguments AGAINST grains are its tendency to cause inflammation and skin problems, both of which I've been experiencing lately.
I hope this will be an interesting month, and, at the very least, you still get a few cool recipes to try! :-)...beginning with today's!
I really adore eggplant. I've had it raw, baked, sautéed, blended, and spiralized, and I enjoy it in each state. It has a mild flavor that blends will when paired with other stronger ingredients, and I really like the softer texture.
It lends itself well to being a veggie noodle substitute too!
Initially, I was striving to create a vegan eggplant parmesan, but the resulting eggplant slices were so tasty, that I thought it deserved its own post!
Baked Fried Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into about 1/3 inch disks (I like to leave the peel on)
- oil spray
- 6 T. extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil plus extra for drizzling
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. lemon juice
- ¼ t. + 1/8 t. sea salt
- 1 t. dried parsley
- 1 t. dried basil
- ½ t. dried oregano
- ⅛ t. garlic powder
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1 c. almond meal
- ½ t. salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together in a shallow bowl until emulsified.
- Mix the coating ingredients together, and pour onto a plate.
- Dip each slice of eggplant into the dressing, and then lightly coat it in the almond meal mix.
- Transfer the coated slices to a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Spray the slices with an oil spray or drizzle a bit of oil onto them.
- Bake the slices for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan, and flip the slices over.
- Bake for another 15 minutes until golden and slightly crispy!
- Enjoy dipped in your favorite marinara sauce.
This is about the width each slice should be...
The almond meal paired beautifully with the flavors in the Italian dressing and the eggplant. It doubles quite well in place of higher carb bread crumbs! 🙂
What are your thoughts on going grain-free?
I'm hoping that by reducing my grain intake and supplementing with the right nutrients , I will find some relief for my current eczema flare-up. 🙁