Hello all, and happy Firefighter Friday!
Sick of the sugar-free parade yet? 🙂
This month has really been a lot of fun for me. Not only am I able to create desserts, but I have the challenge of making them even healthier than I normally would, without the use of ANY sweetener but fruit. I can really feel my taste buds changing and my desire for my normal treats waning. I find that so interesting!
I actually went years without eating anything sweeter than a pear, but have recently forgotten what it was like! Though I haven’t cut out fresh or dried fruit, I definitely notice a difference in my palate.
Today’s recipe is a throwback to 2010 when mug cakes were in style…
….it seems my cooking, like my fashion sense, is a bit retro at times….but in this case, the result is acceptable deliciousness, rather than a faux pas. 🙂
My husband loves cornbread, and I thought this might be something he (or a single fireman) could eat as a yummy treat! It’s sugar-free and gluten-free, but it has the taste of delicious fat-boy cornbread. Topped with a little butter or salted coconut oil, this makes a wonderful, healthy treat (or breakfast) for any fireboy (or hungry girl)… ;-).
Banana-sweetened mug cake made with corn meal and oats.
- 1 T. butter or coconut oil melted
- 1/4 c. coconut buttermilk add 1/2 t. apple cider vinegar to a measuring cup and then add enough coconut milk to equal 1/4 cup; let stand 5 minutes
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 c. banana mashed
- 3 T. cornmeal flour grind polenta or cornmeal in a coffee grinder for a finer texture, or you can buy corn flour
- 2 T. rolled oats ground into flour
- 1 t. chia seeds
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the wet ingredients (melted butter/oil, coconut buttermilk, egg, and banana).
- Mix the dry ingredients (flours, chia, salt, and baking soda).
- Mix everything, and pour it into a coffee mug.
- Place the mug onto a cookie sheet and then into the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove, cool, and dig in!
The nutrition facts are based on using butter. Weight Watchers points (using the new system): 13
Yum yum, give me some!
You could easily share this with a friend, but a growing, hungry boy might keep it all to himself! 🙂
I adore mug cakes! It’s so cool to have a cup of cake all to myself!
Have you ever had a mug cake? What’s your favorite recipe?