This recipe is heavenly.
I wish I could leave it at that and let the pictures do the talking, but I'll go on. What makes this dish is the sauce. I have been a huge fan of satay sauces since birth. Not really, but you get my point.
While chicken or beef satay is a popular staple among most recipe sites, I wanted to create a recipe where the vegetables (broccoli, in particular) were the focus. I've been reading quite a few books about veganism lately, including Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman and My Beef with Meat by Rip Esselstyn. (I highly recommend both, as they are informative, insightful, and have a collection of great recipes.)
While I'm not at the point of converting to a true vegan, I have been limiting my animal protein as of late. What I find this does, is allow me to incorporate more vegetables. I have more room in my stomach for more broccoli, as opposed to filling it with questionably raised chicken.
This recipe is not only veggie-full, it is full of flavor from the satay sauce. Atop a bed of fluffy, protein-packed quinoa, this makes one of the most delicious
vegan meals you'll ever have!
Broccoli and Quinoa Satay
- 2-3 c. cooked quinoa
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 1/2 c. yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 c. red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 c. carrot grated
- 2 1/2 c. broccoli florets chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 scallions
- a handful of cilantro or parsley
- salt as needed for taste
- SATAY SAUCE:
- 3 T. peanut butter
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 t. fresh garlic minced
- 2 t. fresh ginger minced
- 2 T. honey or maple syrup
- 2 T. fresh 100% orange juice
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- Begin by heating a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add all of the ingredients for the sauce and let them warm a bit.
- Stir everything until it emulsifies and thickens a bit.
- Remove from heat and let it sit while you prepare the vegetables.
- Add the coconut oil to a skillet.
- Add in the onion and saute for about three minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper and carrot and cook for another minute.
- Add in the broccoli and saute the mix for about one minute, just until the broccoli turns bright green.
- Add in the 1/4 cup of water, cover the pan, and let the mix cook on medium low for 3-5 minutes, until the broccoli is fork-tender.
- Add the sauce into the vegetable mix, and stir until everything is well-coated.
- Stir in the scallions and cilantro or parsley.
- Season, as desired.
- Serve atop a bed of quinoa, and enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 9
This meal is very versatile, in that you can use almond butter or Sunbutter in place of peanut butter, and you can customize it to whatever vegetables you personally enjoy!
My daughter and husband lovingly refer to this meal as 'Peanut Butter Chicken' because they both like theirs with some chicken stirred in, which is another option. It can also be served atop brown rice or even cauliflower rice in place of the quinoa.
Any way you make it, I'm sure you will LOVE this recipe!
What's your favorite vegan meal?
I just love making a layered bowl of a grain (quinoa or brown rice usually), beans, and sautéed vegetables. Sprinkled with a little nutritional yeast, it's so good. 😀