Chewy Coconut Brownies - These delicious, lower sugar brownies are a fudgy, gluten-free treat made with the addition of coconut oil and grated coconut.
Sorry it's been a bit since my last post.
I've still been dealing with some personal health issues and haven't had much spunk in the kitchen.
Whenever I take breaks from the blog, I always miss it, so I'm happy to be 'here' today. 🙂
Today's recipe is one I've been sitting on for a while!
I created it a year or so ago in an attempt to incorporate more teff flour into my life.
If you're not familiar, teff is a rather old grain that is high in protein. When I'm making any kind of treat, no matter how low sugar, I like to (try) to use ingredients that are higher in protein, thus balancing out my blood sugar better.
I've paired the teff flour with pumpkin seed flour, which I grind myself from raw seeds, and oat flour. Oat flour lends a little natural sweetness! I enjoy it immensely in my lower sugar treats for both its taste and flavor.
There is no leavening agent added to these, which I find creates a richer, fudgier tasting brownie.
For the coconut part of these brownies, I've added in a combination of both coconut oil and finely grated coconut.
As a kid, I hated coconut, but as an adult, I just love it! The grated variety adds a little texture to these, which is a nice complement, in my opinion.
If you're a lover of both coconut and chocolate, but also sugar-conscious, you might give these a try!
Here's a post showing you how to make your own pumpkin seed flour.
To make these sweeter, but still low in sugar, try adding in a little stevia.
If you like healthy brownies, give some of these recipes a try!
Chewy Coconut Brownies (Low Sugar)
- ⅓ cup teff flour
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seed flour can use almond flour, if not allergic
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp finely grated coconut
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 3 Tbsp milk of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flours, cocoa, salt, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Oil a loaf pan and pour the batter into the pan.
- Top with chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, as desired.
- Bake 14-18 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!