I loooooove salads.
I'm not talking about a small plate of green leaves and a crouton, I'm talking, huge, vegetable and protein-packed, can't-finish-the-whole-thing, man-pleasing salads.
And while you can throw every vegetable under the sun into a bowl, what's really going to set it apart is the dressing, and the dressing on this baby aims to please!
With a rich peanut butter taste, it also has sweet and spicy notes from the honey and red pepper flakes, and the vinegar and toasted sesame oil both add taste complexity that will keep you thoroughly and deliciously entertained.
Chinese Chicken Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
- 3 c. Napa cabbage shredded
- 2 c. any type of lettuce I use green, shredded
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 large cucumber sliced
- 1/4 c. scallions chopped
- 1/4 c. cilantro chopped
- 6 T. olive oil
- 2 T. water
- 2 T. peanut butter Sunbutter also works
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 1 T. fresh ginger
- 1 t. fresh garlic
- 1/4-1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. honey or maple syrup
- 2 t. toasted sesame oil
- 5 drops stevia or another teaspoon of sweetener
- TOPPINGS optional:
- slices of organic chicken breast
- roasted sunflower seeds or peanuts
- Put the ginger and garlic in the food processor and pulse a few times to break them up into little pieces.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the dressing, and process until smooth.
- Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, and top with the chicken or chickpeas and peanuts or seeds, if desired.
Adapted from this recipe
This recipe is highly versatile, as far as vegetables and protein go. Vegans could add chickpeas in place of the chicken, and you could vary the vegetables according to your liking. Fresh red pepper slices, raw broccoli pieces, or sugar snap peas would all be excellent additions!
What is your favorite way to eat salad?