Thick and chunky noodle soup with a vegan twist! Chickpeas replace chicken in this dish by adding protein and flavor. An easy, healthy recipe that my kids love!
I think we can agree that kids love noodles!
Texture, taste, shape, size, and color are all contributing reasons for their universal appeal.
If ever I’m in a bind for lunch or dinner, I grab a bag of pasta, knowing my girls will be happy.
In addition to sprouted grains and legumes, truRoots has a great selection of gluten-free pastas. Made from ingredients like red lentils, green peas, quinoa, and brown rice, there is likely a choice for you no matter what allergies you have.
This soup came about as a result of literally using what I had in the house to make a healthy lunch for the girls.
I had no animal protein ready, and the fridge was pretty bare, so I turned to my ol’ reliable bag of pasta.
I had remembered seeing a recipe for chickpea noodle soup in a vegan book I own, and decided to take the idea and create my own version.
Despite my hesitation with how this would be received, it was a surprising hit! It came together quick and easy and even the hubs enjoyed it. (FYI, the hubby does not do vegan easily.)
He even took the leftovers to work the next day!
Shocking, I know.
This soup has a thick and chunky consistency that really sticks to your bones! Because I originally made this for my kids, I kept the onion and garlic to a minimum. I’ve found that my kids do better with simpler tastes and flavors.
Serve this with a side of my Buckwheat and Quinoa Bread for a filling and protein-packed meal that is totally vegan-friendly!
Chunky Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 2 T . butter or olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 1 c . celery , chopped
- 1/2 t . dried basil
- 1/2 t . dried oregano
- 1 t . sea salt , plus more to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 c . water or broth
- 8 ounces pasta of your choice (see Notes)
- 15 ounce can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 3 T . fresh parsley , chopped
- Heat the butter or oil in a large pot.
- Saute the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery for about five minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, bay leaf, and spices.
- Add in the water or broth and bring the mix to a boil.
- Add in the pasta.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the soup until pasta is al dente (check your package directions for this time; should be around 8-15 minutes).
- Stir in the chickpeas and heat through.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Taste for seasoning.
Recipe inspired by this book
I used truRoots Ancient Grain Spaghetti for the pictures. I also like Trader Joe’s brown rice pastas.
Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday