This healthy peanut butter frosting tastes good on everything from cake to apples to pancakes! Use it anywhere you'd like a kick of peanut butter flavor.
I used to think I was allergic to peanut butter, and truth be told, I do think I'm sensitive to it. However, because I love it so much, I've fought for a way to get my fix!
Different brands of peanut butter affect me differently.
Some brands give me immediate itching, some make me tired, and some actually make me moody!
After much trial and error, I've found my best peanut butter 'match' is a cheap Trader Joe's brand.
It's non-organic, in a plastic jar, and only three dollars. Go figure!
If you think you're allergic to something, you may just want to change up your brand or even where you're purchasing it from.
Different companies/stores/facilities process things differently, and it may not be the actual food you're reacting to. At least, that has been my experience.
I've been making this peanut butter 'frosting' for quite a while.
It's very versatile and can be used wherever you want!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Peanut butter - You can definitely use other nut or seed butters for this as well!
- Milk of your choice - Any milk works.
- Maple syrup or honey - Both are delicious; honey has a stronger taste, but it pairs well.
- Vanilla extract - You can omit this, but it really elevates the taste. I've also used cinnamon with great results.
How to make a healthy peanut butter frosting
Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl, depending on how much you're making.
It will appear lumpy at first, but keep mixing until emulsified; this can take 20-30 seconds.
Add more milk, depending on what consistency you desire.
This recipe makes one serving; double or triple it as needed/desired.
Add milk as desired to create a thicker or thinner consistency.
I use my Homemade Coconut Milk in this recipe, but you can use whatever milk you enjoy.
I love using vanilla powder in this recipe, but the extract will also work.
To make this sugar-free, add 2-5 drops of stevia extract instead of the maple syrup/honey.
It's especially delicious atop any of my mug cake recipes!
Healthy Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk of your choice
- ½ tsp maple syrup or honey
- pinch vanilla powder (or a small capful of vanilla extract)
- Mix all until smooth and well-combined (it can take 10-20 seconds to emulsify). Add more or less milk as desired for consistency.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!