This rich and creamy chocolate avocado smoothie tastes like a healthy chocolate milkshake! Avocado creates a thick consistency, while dates provide sweetness.
Because of our rampant banana allergies over here, avocado has been a God send!
When added to smoothies and shakes, it makes them very thick, which is the ideal texture for yours truly.
Combined with a sweetener of some kind, in this case dates, you sort of replicate what bananas do without the banana taste.
The cinnamon and vanilla both add depth to the flavor, and the dash of salt brings out all the flavors.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Milk - Any milk you like/tolerate can be used.
- Avocado - This is what creates a rich and creamy texture, and there is no equivalent substitute. If you prefer to use banana, try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie!
- Cocoa powder
- Dates - A tablespoon of honey or maple syrup could be used instead. In the video below, I use honey!
- Sea salt - I always add a dash of sea salt when I make any type of avocado smoothie, as it brings out the flavors.
- Cinnamon - Optional, but great for blood sugar and flavor!
- Vanilla extract
Can I brag and tell you that I shared a version of this on a local Tucson morning show?
Eye roll for the shameless plug, but the video is below the recipe in case anyone is interested!
However you make it, I hope you enjoy this creamy chocolate 'milkshake'!
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (NO Banana!)
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- ½ avocado
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 soft, Medjool dates
- dash sea salt
- dash cinnamon optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ice
- Blend everything but the ice together until smooth and creamy.
- Add the ice last and blend until your desired consistency.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!