My daughter Jade has preciously nicknamed these ‘cookie bars’, which I just love…
As she approaches her 4th birthday, she has begun to emulate some of my kitchen habits….
….she has her own notebook of recipes, she helps me cut the vegetables for dinner, and she even plays with the plastic food and kitchen set at our gym’s daycare! It’s too cute! 😀
I made these bars to accommodate Jadie’s allergies and combine her two favorite treats: chocolate and cookies. I love giving her healthy, delicious food that she and I can enjoy together.
Double Layer Chocolate Cookie Bars
- BOTTOM CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 1/3 c. oats
- 1/3 c. raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 9 Medjool dates about 5 ounces
- 3 T. cocoa powder
- 1 T. coconut oil melted
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 T. water
- TOP COOKIE LAYER:
- 3 T. coconut oil melted
- 2 T. milk of your choice
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. oats measured then ground into meal
- 1/8 t. sea salt
- 2 T. cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- Process the pumpkin seeds and oats until they are a meal consistency.
- Remove the mix, and add in the dates.
- Process the dates until they are paste-like.
- Add back the pumpkin/oat meals, along with the cocoa, salt, coconut oil, vanilla, and water.
- Process until well combined.
- Press the mix into a 7 x 5 glass Pyrex dish.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- FOR THE COOKIE LAYER:
- Whisk together the coconut oil, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and stevia (if using).
- Stir in the ground oats, salt, cinnamon, and cacao nibs or chopped chocolate.
- Pour the 'batter' onto the chocolate layer.
- Place in the refrigerator (or freezer) to set.
- If you freeze them, be sure to allow about 15 minutes for de-thawing.
- Store in the refrigerator for best taste.
Inspired by this recipe
The cookie layer alone is worth writing home about….
As Jade and Natalie get older, their tastes are growing more diverse, which is nice for me because I can try out new recipes without crying and tight-lipped refusals of anything ‘green’.
We have been enjoying these bars or my Raw Brownies just about every night….but beware of overdosing…
What are your favorite summer treats?
In addition to raw desserts, I love cold fruit and smoothies.