Healthy, Homemade Pizza Sauce – This easy, quick, and healthy homemade pizza sauce is our family’s go-to recipe for all of our pizza needs! NO tomato paste or fussy steps required!
A great pizza sauce recipe has eluded me for years.
I grew up with a dad that often made his own dough and sauce, so I’m a bit of a pizza snob.
I swear I’ve been through dozens of recipes, but I could never seem to find the right balance of sweetness, tang, and spice….until now. This sauce has the exact combination of spices and flavor that perfectly compliment any Italian pie, and we use it on every. Single. Pizza.
(See the bottom of the post for some great gluten-free crust options!)
Healthy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 3 c. tomato puree not sauce, see Notes
- 1 t. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1/4 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. fennel seeds
- scant 1/2 t. salt
- 1 pinch granulated sweetener optional (I added it when originally posted, but do not add it anymore)
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 t. red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the garlic, and saute just until fragrant (about 20 seconds).
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the vinegar).
- Bring to a low bubble, and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the vinegar.
- Use as desired!
I like using these strained tomatoes from Pomi for this recipe.
Some of the items I use in this recipe include:
Sauteing the garlic…
Add in the tomato puree…
Simmer 10-15 minutes…
Add a splash of vinegar to brighten it up!
Try this delicious sauce with some of these alternative, gluten-free crusts!