I quite simply love these chips.
I’ve been making them often lately and since many of you have asked me about the recipe when they appear on ‘What I Ate Wednesday’, I knew they deserved a post.
While I had good intentions of showcasing them earlier, I often get sidetracked in my kitchen endeavors. While making and gushing over some new raw dessert recipe, I will simultaneously have my hand in eight other creations, only to lose sight of what I was originally doing.
I’m typically very organized, but when it comes to brainstorming for the blog, I will scribble notes on just about any surface that can tolerate pen ink. I could do a whole post on the notecards and notebooks in my possession that are filled with ideas for future recipes. It’s insanity at its finest.
Back to these chips, they’re obviously nothing new, but this is how I do it. I like my chips cheesy, lightly salted, and with a kiss of sweetness to balance out the bitterness of the kale.
Easy, Cheezy Kale Chips (Vegan, Paleo)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 6 kale leaves torn into bite-sized pieces, de-stemmed
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast you can also use parmesan cheese
- 1/2 t. maple syrup
- 1/8 t. sea salt eliminate if using parmesan
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the oil, yeast, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the kale pieces and lightly massage the yeast mixture into the leaves.
- Place the leaves onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and spread them out as best as you can (it's okay if some are touching).
- Bake the chips for 30 minutes (mix them around a bit after 15 minutes to help bake them all evenly). They should be crispy after 30 minutes.
- Cool a bit and serve!
Adapted from this recipe
Though I calculate nutritional stats for readers, it’s always interesting for me to see them as well. For instance, who would have thought that half of this recipe would have over 13 grams of protein?! That’s more than two eggs! Yay kale!
I hope you all try these and love them as much as I do. Beware…they are addicting!
What’s your favorite crunchy snack?
Now you know mine! 🙂
Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday